Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2013 1:57:30 PM EDT
Since truck prices are insane and its damn near impossible to find a 'Taco what can you tell me about the frontier

Edit: Looking at a new truck
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Its not as big or powerful as an F150 but gets worse gas mileage.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Nissans are good trucks! That said, if you want a Toyota buy a Toyota! You will not be happy with #2 nomatter how good it is.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I like mine very much.

Love the track system in the bed.

Only bad thing is the gas gauge is a POS, so I use the trip-meter.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm assuming used.

Read this and make sure your potential vehicle is either not affected, covered, or repaired.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not a Ranger?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I've used my father-in-law's (RIP) Frontier a lot.  Long trips, short trips.  Excellent truck, IME.  I don't recall him putting any work into it at all.  He's had it for maybe 3 years.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not a Ranger?
View Quote

If he's looking for a new truck, they don't make the Ranger anymore. I'm happy with mine though OP. You get more truck for the money compared to a Tacoma too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#8]
If you tow the Nissan has 4 wheel disks. Still drums on the back of the Taco.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I owned one for years and now own a Titan, My frontier had almost 200K on it when I got rid of it and the only thing had go wrong was a 02 sensor.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#10]
They are crap.

I've owned one; dad has owned 3.

We both drive F150s now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If he's looking for a new truck, they don't make the Ranger anymore. I'm happy with mine though OP. You get more truck for the money compared to a Tacoma too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not a Ranger?

Thanks for the heads up. I am however well aware of this already.

I mulled over the possibility he only wanted new until I saw his complaints about prices and figured any rational person wouldn't be opposed to purchasing a lightly used vehicle devoid of the problems that typically plague the Tacoma's.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 2006 I bought new and it has 112K on it.  Aside from normal maintenance, I've put in 2 batteries (AZ heat eats them), the oil gauge went wacko but was fixed for $30, I replaced the tailgate hinges because they were breaking, but the truck is driven on alot of washboard roads, and that's it.  Mileage isn't a plus, turn radius could be better, but this truck has taken me in tight places like ATV trails, to retrieve deer I've shot out in the middle of nowhere in the mountains and the desert. A couple of weekends ago I pulled out some people that were driving their car where they should't have.
I can't complain about the service I've gotten out of mine.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why not a Ranger?
View Quote

Because its not been in production for nearly half a decade?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you tow the Nissan has 4 wheel disks. Still drums on the back of the Taco.
View Quote

Drum brakes-

Last longer
Don't get packed with mud
Nominal disadvantage to discs due to lightweight composite bed
Last forever
Last a really long time
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not a Ranger?

Late to the party...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a 2011 Pro4x  - It's been great so far.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got a 2012 Frontier with the 4.0 and it's a good truck. The thing that bothers me most about it is the damn wind noise when you're driving down an interstate. Oh, and it gets 16-18mpg around the city However, it's got everything except 4 wheel drive and I got it for a hair over 20k OTD, so the bang to buck ratio was pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#18]
My buddy has one with about 70k on it with transmission issues. Something like transmission fluid leaking into the radiator or vice versa. Check out the Nissan frontier forums, as that is always a good place to get real owner discussions, issues, likes, dislikes,etc.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I've got a 2005 NISMO crew cab version with 100K miles.  It's a good utilitarian truck with the same frame as a Titan.  Apparently it gets the same gas mileage as a Titan, because it does not get tiny truck mileage.

Nothing major has messed up.  The fuel sensor died at 85K and the mass air flow sensor at 88K.  I've had a couple sets of brakes and pads put on and maybe 2 or 3 sets of tires.  (Probably 2.5 due to tearing up a tire here and there.)

I would consider another of the same if I had to shop tomorrow, but I'd shop some.  I've moved from a Z71 to a Frontier NISMO to get better mileage...it didn't work out as well as I planned.  I got 16 in the Z71 no matter where I drove, and I get 16 around town on the NISMO.  I get 19 or so on the road.

Where I die in mileage is pulling a boat.  The Z71 didn't know the difference.  The Frontier drags to 14.5 or less, and the boat bonces the truck around a lot.

Again...all said, I'd strongly consider another, but I wouldn't set foot on a GM or Dodge lot.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I have an '07.  I had a couple of warranty issues repaired, in line fuel sensor and the the plastic guards on the timing chain.  Other than that, just normal maintenance.  Its been a pretty good truck.  I would buy another one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#21]
the 4.0L v6 and 5 speed auto are the same as found in the xterra and previous gen pathfinder (the body on frame versions).  I have just under 80k on my '10 xterra Off Road, towing and offroading occasionally and its been great.  mine has been pretty reliable aside from the junk factory batteries they come with.  

they don't get the best mileage but they're still rated around 21 or so hwy.  if you spring for the pro-4x (used to be nismo on the fronty) you get a little bigger tires, lower axle ratio, skid plates and a rear locker.  things to look out for in a used one, and to keep an eye on if you get a new one is the trans cooler in the radiator.  there was a bad run of radiators where the trans fluid cooler allowed coolant to mix with trans fluid, trashing the trans.  somehow, nissan didn't consider the radiator as part of the powertrain, so its only covered under the 3/36 and a lot of people got screwed when the radiator killed their trans at 50-60k.  they have since issued a warranty extension on the radiator to 80k and offered reimbursement to people that paid $$$$ to get their trans fixed.  

your best deal on a nissan will be finding one that is just barely used.  i found my xterra on a dodge lot with less than 6k miles on it, the XM radio free trial hadn't even expired yet.  ended up saving 5-6k over what i would have paid for a brand new one off the lot.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My buddy has one with about 70k on it with transmission issues. Something like transmission fluid leaking into the radiator or vice versa. Check out the Nissan frontier forums, as that is always a good place to get real owner discussions, issues, likes, dislikes,etc.
View Quote

there was a warranty extension issued to 80k for those radiator failures, depending on how old the truck is it might be covered.  even if he's past that, they offer partial coverage up to like 120k so it might take the sting off.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Mr. Minx bought one after our Xterra was brutally murdered by a left-turning idiot.  It is a lot like the Xterra.  He got the middle-sized cab, and most likely we should have gotten the king cab because the little seats are very uncomfortable.   There are no problems with it so far.  We have had it since Jan 2010 and it has 50K miles on it.  He did put a shell on the back and I don't like that but he is the main driver and he is making the payments so he wins.   He's a big guy, 6'4", and he has enough room legwise and headwise.  

In retrospect, we wish we had gotten another Xterra because we liked it so much.  The Frontier has been a good vehicle so far, no mechanical problems.  We made a run to Cali from Key West and back and it ran like a champ on the highways.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I have an 06 Frontier.  It is paid for so I deal with it.  The fuel gauge doesnt work which sucks.  I replaced the belt on it other then that been pretty solid.

I would hold out for a taco if i where you.  Maybe just order exactly what you want and wait.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I know people who have owned them with no complaints. But if you want a Tacoma, pony up the rest of the money and get one. The only way you'll regret spending the money on this purchase is if you don't get what you want.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I drive a 2012 xterra pro 4x. Same drive train as the frontier. I've been impressed with it. Good cabin room, I've towed trailers, and driven on some trails at a training range that LMTVs had rutted up pretty bad with no issues. Overall, a very nice daily driver that didn't break the bank.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a 2011. 36,000 miles on it. its been great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top