Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2013 10:09:29 AM EDT
I'm finally going to step into the 21st century and get smart phones for my wife and I.  I'm tired of paying over $100/month for talk and text through Verizon.  We won't be using a ton of data; just need the basics.  I've been researching the prepaid plans which I think make the most sense for us.  Looks like the main difference is that with prepaid plans, the monthly fee is less, but you have to pay full-price for the phones.  Through my work, I can get phones for slightly over cost (ex. $234 for a Samsung Galaxy S3), so I'm thinking that the prepaid will work well for me.  I'm leaning towards Boost Mobile right now which uses the Sprint network (good coverage in my area).

Anyone have an opinion on Boost Mobile?  Am I about to make a big mistake?

Edit: Also considering Virgin Mobile for the same reasons.  They are even cheaper since they restrict the minutes for calls.  Since I hate talking on the phone and probably use less than 100 minutes/month, Virgin might be even better for me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I had boost and it was crap in the Chicagoland area.  You may be better off with Virgin
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:04:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I have boost and really like it. I've been out in the country side and still had 3G service, but I wouldn't take it for granted. But just about any decent sized town should give you good reception.

I love how your payment shrinks after 6 on time payments. I am paying 50 bucks a month for everything my sister gets with her IPhone that she has to pay 100+ bucks a month for.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Boost and  virgin are both owned by Sprint and use Sprint towers.
With virgin, you are limited to Sprint towers only, no roaming. I'm not sure about boost.

I have virgin mobile, and love it. I also have great reception in my area.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Straight talk if you can. been on it for a year with no problems
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had Virgin for about 12 years, and the service is great. $55/mo unlimited talk, text, and data.

Most of their smart phones are garbage, though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm heavily leaning towards Virgin's $35/month package since my wife and I don't use a lot of minutes.  Does web surfing count against the minutes?

Virgin has a $5/month discount with auto-pay and iPhones.  I'm not buying the iPhone 5, but is it worth getting the older iPhone 4 to save $10 total per month or should I just go with the Galaxy S3 for $221?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I am on Page Plus, they are the only no contract that uses Verizon's towers which is the best network.

29.95 a month 1200 talk minutes 3000 texts and 5 mb data
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Virgin uses sprint in florida (maybe everywhere), and the coverage around here sucks with sprint (like fucking blows whale ass).  I love virgin's price, and they have no bullshit but I go on call for my job, and needed better reception.  I went with Tmobile, and have great coverage now, contract free.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am on Page Plus, they are the only no contract that uses Verizon's towers which is the best network.

View Quote

I am considering this.  I have an older iphone 4 with verizon, so I think it will work with them.  
Do you know if you can keep your old number?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#10]
We made the switch from our old crazy-expensive "normal" plan to each having our own $35/mo Virgin Mobile plan and couldn't be happier.

New phones whenever you want, get them online or in lots of stores, no contract, cheap monthly bill, all the "perks" that VMo gives - it's tough to beat for our situation and yours sounds similar.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to buy my top ups at 45 percent off on eBay classifieds. Those deals have dried up. This past summer, I filled my account up on those, but now the party is over.

I check now and then, and can find 15 percent off sometimes. If you auto renew, you can't take advantage of these specials. It's up to you.

Maybe someday, they will come back.
There is another place called crazy game time that sells $60 top ups for $51. They are also out. They have deals on t mobile, straight talk, Xbox live, and other prepaid.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#12]
AIO is 55 month using ATT's towers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I use Virgin Mobile, and as some have pointed out, they piggyback off of the Sprint network, which doesn't have the best coverage.

The price is right.  300 min. voice /  unlimited text and data ... for about $30 a month.  

A word of warning:  Their tech support hold music sucks.  I mean it really sucks.  Suck-start-a-shotgun bad.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:23:15 AM EDT
[#14]
wife and I have been on the virgin sine 2006 no problems . had the 5 bucks a month plan on ea phone until 2010 when we splurged and got android phones
which upped the bill after taxes to 27 bucks per phone ea month ..almost never call and have never hit any text or data limits.
still have not bothered to see if the bill goes up to 35 if we upgrade the phones but that would not be a deal killer.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:33:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Wife and I have Virgin for over a year.  No issues really that we can think of.  We learned that to get the best deal on a phone for us was to wait until Black Friday - they have the best markdowns it seems that day on their website.  We picked up a newer phone for my wife this year for half off (cheaper than Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc).  We were paying for $100 a month for both of our phones for the same level of service before we made the change.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:43:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you certain that they use the Verizon network?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:10:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Verizon towers?  Who cares.  WTF am I supposed to do with 5MB data?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:34:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I've used virgin for the last 2+ years.. no complaints here.
there is no roaming, but I've never had an issue with it, since sprint is practically everywhere these days.

I'd say go for it, getting an S3 for just over $200 with no contract is a no brainer imo.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:41:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've had Virgin for about 12 years, and the service is great. $55/mo unlimited talk, text, and data.

Most of their smart phones are garbage, though.
View Quote

I've had Virgin mobile for a few years and recently upgraded phones to the LG Optimus F3.  It is an awesome phone for $150
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:48:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Do the Boost Mobile phones come preloaded with worldstarhiphop vids?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#21]
La Wik:  List of U.S. Mobile Virtual Network Operators
Sensorly:  Crowd-sourced coverage maps

Make sure Sprint is decent in your area before committing.  Their coverage maps lie.  As a dissatisfied former customer, it would have to be much cheaper than it is for me to go back to Sprint from Verizon.  I now enjoy (to me) previously unknown features like making and receiving phone calls from inside buildings (like my house).  And no, I don't live in BFE, I live in Springfield Virginia, just a bit outside the blast radius of a bomb dropped on Washington, and on the top of a hill.  It wasn't me, it's Sprint.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm heavily leaning towards Virgin's $35/month package since my wife and I don't use a lot of minutes.  Does web surfing count against the minutes?

Virgin has a $5/month discount with auto-pay and iPhones.  I'm not buying the iPhone 5, but is it worth getting the older iPhone 4 to save $10 total per month or should I just go with the Galaxy S3 for $221?
View Quote

No..... it's unlimited.

I have the $35 a month plan... 300 minutes of talk, which I've never used more then 100 or so... and unlimited text & data.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Virgin was good for me. I had a Motorola Triumph (their top of the line phone, at the time) for about a year and a half.

That being said, when a Galaxy S3 came my way, I went with Straight Talk wireless from Walmart. I've have had zero problems.
I would go Straight Talk if I had to do it again.

But, of your two options, Virgin.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:26:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Virgin was good for me. I had a Motorola Triumph (their top of the line phone, at the time) for about a year and a half.

That being said, when a Galaxy S3 came my way, I went with Straight Talk wireless from Walmart. I've have had zero problems.
I would go Straight Talk if I had to do it again.

But, of your two options, Virgin.
View Quote

What is your final bill with Straight Talk?  Is it $45 plus taxes and fees?
What I like about Virgin Mobile is that all the taxes and fees are already part of the plan price.  If I get my top ups online, I don't even pay sales tax for the top up.  Is Straight Talk like that?  I've been eyeing the Nexus 5 lately, and Straight Talk has a BYOP option.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:29:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Boost and  virgin are both owned by Sprint and use Sprint towers.
With virgin, you are limited to Sprint towers only, no roaming. I'm not sure about boost.

I have virgin mobile, and love it. I also have great reception in my area.
View Quote

This.  Boost/VM has terrible coverage.  Cities and interstates are the only places you can get signal.  Plus you're locked into old, shitty phones.

Straight Talk with the BYOP ATT SIM has excellent coverage (comparable to ATT contract)
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:30:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Virgin was a good enough deal that my FIL paid $200+ to get out of his old cell contract to switch.  Even paying "retail" for the phone (as opposed to the "free" phones in a contract) and the bills, I think he made up for the early termination fee in a couple of months.  Then he thanked us for the VMo tip just about every time he saw us for a year.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Virgin was a good enough deal that my FIL paid $200+ to get out of his old cell contract to switch.  Even paying "retail" for the phone (as opposed to the "free" phones in a contract) and the bills, I think he made up for the early termination fee in a couple of months.  Then he thanked us for the VMo tip just about every time he saw us for a year.
View Quote

I paid $150 for my first Virgin Mobile Phone (Evo V 4G, same as Evo 3D).  My ROI was at about 4 months.  In other words, the monthly savings on the plan paid off my newly acquired phone in about 4 months.  Also, about that time, I ran into some people on eBay who were selling $60 top ups for less than $40 (could have been $35 ish).  At one point, I had come close to the maximum of $400 in my account, and I paid about $240 for that.

Life was good!

Now, those same guys on eBay are selling $60 top ups for $60...so that boat has gone and sailed.  I no longer have a surplus in my account, and I check regularly to see what I can come up with.  No deals as of right now, so part of the allure of Virgin Mobile is wearing off.  I have a Galaxy S3, and if I am to jump ship, I need to do it while the S3 is still worth something for resale.  

I sitll have my EVO V, and keep it around as a backup incase something happens to the S3.  I could sell both of those phones, and it would pretty much cover the Nexus 5.  I have to make a decision soon.  If I can come up with some more discount Top Ups, I'll stay with Virgin Mobile.  My 4G speeds are pretty damn fast where I live and work.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's 500MB, no 5.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Do the Boost Mobile phones come preloaded with worldstarhiphop vids?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:54:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What is your final bill with Straight Talk?  Is it $45 plus taxes and fees?
What I like about Virgin Mobile is that all the taxes and fees are already part of the plan price.  If I get my top ups online, I don't even pay sales tax for the top up.  Is Straight Talk like that?  I've been eyeing the Nexus 5 lately, and Straight Talk has a BYOP option.
View Quote

$45.00 (plus sales tax) I just buy the $45.00 card at Walmart. Done and done.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#31]
If you live where coverage isn't an issue, Virgin is great. $35 a month is about the best deal going for a smart phone plan.

You have to eat the cost of the phone up front, but that very quickly pays for itself compared to contract deals.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you live where coverage isn't an issue, Virgin is great. $35 a month is about the best deal going for a smart phone plan.

You have to eat the cost of the phone up front, but that very quickly pays for itself compared to contract deals.
View Quote

I work with people that have Sprint and Virgin; coverage is good in my area.  It will only be 3G at my house, but 4G almost everywhere else that I go.  

I don't care about being limited to older phones.  I never buy the latest and greatest anyways.  The Galaxy S3 is more than I need.  

No service works in my house due to the insulated roof panels.  This actually works out good for me because it gives me an ecuse to never answer my phone.

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I'm going to go with Samsung Galaxy S3s and the Virgin Mobile $35 plan for both me and my wife.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I used to have Tracfone for basic talk and text.  Worked fine, cost about $10 a month after I bought a 400 or 500 minute card and had double minutes.  That lasted about a year.

I have used VZ, ATT, and Virgin Mobile USB cell modems for portable internet a few years back.  They worked great in good coverage areas, and worked poorly in marginal coverage areas.

If it saves you money, go for it.  That's why I was using these services, along with no contract.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#34]
The sprint network is garbage around here, I guess that rules out Virgin for me.  I guess I will give page plus a try.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#35]
I've had boost mobile for about 2 years now with android phones.  The 55$ a month down to 40 after 18 months is a pretty good deal.  There are a few places saying you can bring an off contract phone from sprint over to boost depending on the phone operator you get.  I haven't had any problem with service but the 4g on the gs2 was a bit spotty around south central Pa it was great as soon as I crossed into md.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top