Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/11/2013 9:56:43 AM EDT
So, for my birthday my g/f decides to buy some reloading powder.  Excellent idea, g/f!

Except, when I open this large box, it contains an 8 pound canister of Unique!  It seems that she couldn't find any of my powders at what she considered a decent price + hazmat. So she ordered this huge canister because it was cheaper per pound.
So you're thinking, what's my frickin' problem?  After all, powder is extremely hard to find, and I just got 8# for free!?

Here's the rub. That canister represents like, a decade of shooting my 9mm at the usual rate, and as versatile as Unique is, I don't want to be married to one powder for 10 years.

I'm ruminating on what to do:
(1) Sell the whole canister for invoice, and take the money and restock my other critical powders.
{I loose "value" here because all the 1# & 4# are overpriced at this time}

(2) Refill several of my empty 1# Unique canisters from the large lot, and see them individually.
I like (2) better. But I'm going to be honest about refilling, & buyers might balk at 'refilled' canisters of powder.

Q:
Would you buy a refilled canister of reloading powder from a stranger?

DISCLAIMER: This is not an offer for sale on ARFCOM. So this thread won't be shuffled to EE or deleted - please, no sales entertained here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#1]
first world problems and all that...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#2]
save it for a rainy day, it works good in almost anything including light cast rifle loads. Your gf sounds awesome.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Q:...................Hell No.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That canister represents like, a decade of shooting my 9mm at the usual rate,
View Quote

There's your problem right there.  Shoot more, complain about free powder less.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:02:17 AM EDT
[#5]
A: no.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#6]
keep it.

why sell it

powder does not go bad.

hell i only buy in 8lb containers for that very reason.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Shoot more.

Buy other powders.

Buy a 45 & burn more Unique?

But really - sell a gift?  Don't be a schmuck.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#8]
there are people right now that would give their left nootz for any pistol powder.  unique is unique in that its used and proven in many different calibers.  if it was mine, i would save it. who knows when the next scare will be. Don't be one of those that complain that powder and primers are expensive or not available  when the next one hits.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:04:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll take it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:05:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So, for my birthday my g/f decides to buy some reloading powder.  Excellent idea, g/f!

Except, when I open this large box, it contains an 8 pound canister of Unique!  It seems that she couldn't find any of my powders at what she considered a decent price + hazmat. So she ordered this huge canister because it was cheaper per pound.
So you're thinking, what's my frickin' problem?  After all, powder is extremely hard to find, and I just got 8# for free!?

Here's the rub. That canister represents like, a decade of shooting my 9mm at the usual rate, and as versatile as Unique is, I don't want to be married to one powder for 10 years.

I'm ruminating on what to do:
(1) Sell the whole canister for invoice, and take the money and restock my other critical powders.
{I loose "value" here because all the 1# & 4# are overpriced at this time}

(2) Refill several of my empty 1# Unique canisters from the large lot, and see them individually.
I like (2) better. But I'm going to be honest about refilling, & buyers might balk at 'refilled' canisters of powder.

Q:

View Quote

A: NO.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Ill take g/f and powder if you don't want them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I would thank my girlfriend for the thoughtful gift and keep it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Q:

View Quote

Hell no.   Maybe if I were physically there when you opened the virgin 8lb keg, and removed material from that.  Only exception.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Sell the powder, buy an engagement ring.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#16]
F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Get NFA.  You'll burn through it in a month.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I've experienced trial separations with various powders over the years. They've always taken me back with open arms.

I have most of 16# of Varget in the closet. No skin off my ass if my heirs ask, "What the heck is this stuff?"
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Shit dude, my wife of many years has never bought anything gun related for me.  I'd buy her something extra special for being so assertive and cool as hell.

No way I would sell it, especially since she took the time to order it on her own.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#20]
1.  Pics aren't loading.

2.  Selling a gift from a GF?  Dumb.

3.  Selling a gift of gun stuff from a GF?  Really dumb.

4.  No such thing as to much reloading supplies.

5.  No way would I buy a refilled canister of reloading powder.

6.  You aren't helping the reputation of 13ers here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#21]
brag thread.  

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Shoot more.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shoot more.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:14:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Dude, I wouldn't even buy powder from a private seller at all, even if it was in "unopened" factory packaging.

The seal on the tops of reloading powder isn't really all that secure, and you could just replace it with a little bit of glue.

I buy my reloading supplies from known reliable retailers, I keep my reciepts, and I record every round loaded.  Maybe that's paranoid, but I know my loads are safe.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You can load pretty much any pistol caliber with Unique.  I don't see why you'd want to get rid of it unless you're as picky as I am in some situations

Put a "WTT" on the EE and see if you can swap it for some other kind of powder you use.   Your option #2 doesn't sound very good unless the people know you personally... buying unsealed powder is not generally thought of as safe.   Unless you're swapping with good, trusted friends.

Oh, and your woman sounds like a keeper.
View Quote

Oh, she is a keeper!  Owns a Jeep, An AR-15, pistol, and her father, a former Marine, taught her how to shoot.  
(and neither of us is the marrying type)

But back to your >"you're as picky as I am in some situations"<  
RIGHT!  My other pistol load is .357mag for rifle
Unique is not to be used for full power magnum loads. And my .357mag rifle doesn't know what a "squib" load is.  Hell, it's a RIFLE!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#26]
You need to get out shooting more.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Shoot more 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Oh, she is a keeper!  Owns a Jeep, An AR-15, pistol, and her father, a former Marine, taught her how to shoot.  

Unique is not to be used for full power magnum loads. And my .357mag rifle doesn't know what a "squib" load is.  Hell, it's a RIFLE!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can load pretty much any pistol caliber with Unique.  I don't see why you'd want to get rid of it unless you're as picky as I am in some situations

Put a "WTT" on the EE and see if you can swap it for some other kind of powder you use.   Your option #2 doesn't sound very good unless the people know you personally... buying unsealed powder is not generally thought of as safe.   Unless you're swapping with good, trusted friends.

Couldn't you start shooting 38Spl out of the rifle?  What kind of rifle is it?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
brag thread.  

View Quote

Yes/No  

I also wondered if a couple of pounds siphoned off would sell, as I've got some calibers crying for powder and I could use the money for Rifle powder.

But I guess I'm getting my answer here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes/No  

I also wondered if a couple of pounds siphoned off would sell, as I've got some calibers crying for powder and I could use the money for Rifle powder.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
brag thread.  

Yes/No  

If I were you, I would try to trade off a pound or two, but I wouldn't go about selling it to someone in an old container.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#32]
I must have been with the wrong wimminz; never got a brick of .22LR, let alone a pound of powder! You are Blessed!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
save it for a rainy day, it works good in almost anything including light cast rifle loads. Your gf sounds awesome.
View Quote

This.  Just hold onto it and use it...also start reloading more!  

And no, I wouldn't buy 1# of powder that was made from an 8# canister.  I actually wouldn't buy powder from anyone, except a close friend or reputable company.

And you should hug and thank your g/f!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Unique is great for reduced rifle loads.          

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#35]
It ain't gonna get any cheaper over time, and it doesn't go bad.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

38Spl = squib load.  
Late model Marlin Model 1894C.  With an Aimpoint 9000sc, my lightweight, hard-hitting, urban-assault trunk gun. Easily passed off  as a politically correct "deer rifle."
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Boohoo
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#38]
We have rules here!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#39]
I vote shoot more often
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shoot more.

That.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I must have been with the wrong wimminz; never got a brick of .22LR, let alone a pound of powder! You are Blessed!
View Quote

Yes, thank you.

But girls with guns are not your usual dame either.  I'm not talking about the models in the gun p0rn pix either.  I'm talking abut the ones that come into the relationship already shooters with a gun.
They can be quite challenging, with them brains & assertive personalities & that free will being stronger than most gals.

Remember Tommy Shaw's warning:

An innocent bystander
Who forgets to look both ways
Who never tries to understand her
Won't feel the heat 'til it's too late
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#42]
this thread sucks without pics of powder girlfriend
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#43]
You need a Blackhawk in 45 Colt.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My other pistol load is .357mag for rifle
View Quote

Oh, you have a rifle.  So fucking what.

7.5 grains of Unique behind a 160 grain bullet is no squib.  

13'ers.  geez.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That canister represents like, a decade of shooting my 9mm at the usual rate,

+2

Do you even shoot, bro?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Get into USPSA.  Your demand will pick up and you'll be glad for the surplus.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You need a Blackhawk in 45 Colt.
View Quote

I was going to say that or one in 44mag and start shooting more.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Pics of GF in a black powder shower still not loading...
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Suck it up, buttercup. Shoot more, whine less and be thankful for what your lady friend got you.

How many more awesome presents do you think she'll give you if she sees that you're parting out the one she got you?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top