Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 9:49:13 AM EDT
I have a swanstone counter top in one of my houses. I put a new kitchen in about 15 years ago. Cabinets are still fine.

Problem is its Galaxy Blue. Sort of a greenish blue color that was in style back then. To replace it with another solid surface would be at least 7,500-10,000

I see these kits where you can make formica look like marble or granite. I think it would look really good on this. I've seen it on a couple of counter tops made of formica but you can tell it formica by the rolled edges. This would look better since it is solid surface

Anyone ever use this  ? How durable is it ? Can you touch it up if it does get damaged ?One issue is it has an integrated white sink, the kind with no lip. I know its a bitch to keep white. It wasn't as hard as first but now that it has aged it is. Will this work on that or do you stop at the line ?

I need to check to see if you can use it on solid surface. I beleive rustoleum makes it along with others.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I have worked with and installed everything from laminate to granite, including all solid surface products.
Due to the type of material swanstone is made of, I believe you will have a hard time getting any coatings to stick to the surface.
If you decide to try the re-finish of the surface, sand the surface with either 180 grit sandpaper or 40 micron sandpaper.
Once the surface is completely sanded, clean the surface with denatured alcohol until there is no dust or anything to hinder the purchase of the product you decide to use.
If the product you decide to use is an epoxy based product you should have a good chance the product will adhere to the surface.
I would try to tape off the sink.
To make the sink look better, remove all the plumbing fixtures of the sink, sand the entire sink starting with 150 grit sandpaper, then, sand the entire sink with 180 grit sandpaper and clean the sink of all dust with denatured alcohol
To finish the sink, sand the sink with a PURPLE scotchbrite pad and that should return the sink to original finish.
Good luck on your project and let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
If worse comes to worse, use a green scotchbrite pad if you can't find any purple pads. JW
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, doubletap
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#4]
We did the painted granite stuff. LINK It came out ok but it was for a quick sale on a house. I don't think it will hold up for a long time of every day use. Ours was a real shitty pink Formica, hard to be worse. You can make it darker or lighter based on what paint procedure you use and also comes in darker shades.

Before: (I added a top to the island from a restaurant table)

After:

Not the best, but the island came out nice, IMO.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have worked with and installed everything from laminate to granite, including all solid surface products.
Due to the type of material swanstone is made of, I believe you will have a hard time getting any coatings to stick to the surface.
If you decide to try the re-finish of the surface, sand the surface with either 180 grit sandpaper or 40 micron sandpaper.
Once the surface is completely sanded, clean the surface with denatured alcohol until there is no dust or anything to hinder the purchase of the product you decide to use.
If the product you decide to use is an epoxy based product you should have a good chance the product will adhere to the surface.
I would try to tape off the sink.
To make the sink look better, remove all the plumbing fixtures of the sink, sand the entire sink starting with 150 grit sandpaper, then, sand the entire sink with 180 grit sandpaper and clean the sink of all dust with denatured alcohol
To finish the sink, sand the sink with a PURPLE scotchbrite pad and that should return the sink to original finish.
Good luck on your project and let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
If worse comes to worse, use a green scotchbrite pad if you can't find any purple pads. JW
View Quote

I've owned a small construction company for years. I do mostly kitchens. I have never refinished a countertop. If the stuff sticks at all I think it would stick to swanstone if it does to formica. I think your right about the sink. I have sanded small nick out of tops and sinks that way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top