Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2013 2:01:40 AM EDT
So I'm overseas (military) and going through withdrawals at not being able to buy guns.  I usually buy one every so often and it's been almost 6 months cold turkey.  I don't want to bother my poor Mom - she has already done enough for me regarding storing stuff.  My Dad has a wife scared of guns and his home isn't very secure anyway. I have an old Army buddy that I really trust but his little boy just had surgery and is undergoing chemo so he has a lot more important problems right now.  And I'm not looking for offers for storage from people here - there would be too many possibilities for complications if either of us died or whatever.

I'm just wondering if there is some 'option' I'm not aware of.  Is there some store where you can buy now and pick up 1.5 years later (though I would worry they might go out of business)?  I know there are plenty of military in my situation - has anyone found a convenient way to continue to acquire toys?  I have bought some parts from Palmetto's sales but I don't really need anymore AR stuff (not that I won't buy more).

Maybe I'm just out of luck but I figure it can't hurt to ask.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:33:27 AM EDT
[#1]
The 'Market in Somalia?  IDK
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:44:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought an LWRC M6. I go on leave tp pick it up soon. It can be done OP.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:52:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 'Market in Somalia?  IDK
View Quote

I haven't found a Korean marketplace quite like I want yet.  Heck, I haven't even seen any good knives for sale here.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:53:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought an LWRC M6. I go on leave tp pick it up soon. It can be done OP.
View Quote

Yeah, I might would use Bud's layaway or something if I was going back.  I don't plan on returning to the US in the next 1.5 years.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:15:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I was a contractor in the middle east for 3 years, but I went home every six months or so.  One of my local FFLs didn't have a problem holding stuff for me until I got back.  

I'd wait to buy any guns if I were you.  Or put your order in for a nice custom rifle or 1911...something like that.  That'll take 6 months to a year to build.  A hometown FFL would only have to 6 or so months then.

I ordered my Wilson 1911 and a couple of GA Precision rifles while OCONUS.  It's not bad burning off that wait time while out of town.  

CHRIS
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:18:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was a contractor in the middle east for 3 years, but I went home every six months or so.  One of my local FFLs didn't have a problem holding stuff for me until I got back.  

I'd wait to buy any guns if I were you.  Or put your order in for a nice custom rifle or 1911...something like that.  That'll take 6 months to a year to build.  A hometown FFL would only have to 6 or so months then.

I ordered my Wilson 1911 and a couple of GA Precision rifles while OCONUS.  It's not bad burning off that wait time while out of town.  

CHRIS
View Quote

I'll wait if I have to.  The possibility of new gun laws is always in the back of my mind as well.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:23:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Now is the time to get on wait lists/submit form 1/4s

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:32:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy something NFA  with any luck the forms will be processed by the time you get home.
ATF is quoting 9-15 months right now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:49:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Do you know where your next duty station is going to be?

We're stationed at Fort Hood. Don't know if the Exchange has a layaway plan or not, but I can find out for you. I can stop by the gun counter and ask tomorrow as I will be at the warrior way exchange anyway. Edit, bought my M4 there, no tax, can't beat it.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:59:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I know there are plenty of military in my situation - has anyone found a convenient way to continue to acquire toys?

View Quote
Parts/ammo just send them to mom/dads/brother/sis.

Guns: find a dealer who will keep them for you once you buy them. I was gone over a year and had a dealer hold onto about 20 rifles I had bought. AR50 down to 30 carbines, cheap stuff to high end custom M1A's.

The down side is he fucked me over on taxes (TX dealer) which I know good and well he did not report the money.

Funny thing  is when I returned home to my old room and had nearly 100k of ammo sitting in it. I had no idea how much I had bought-which was good and bad, mostly it was 762x51.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:11:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Now is the time to get on wait lists/submit form 1/4s

View Quote

I'm not going to get any NFA stuff.  Too much trouble when you move often and don't know where you will go next.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:12:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Buy something NFA  with any luck the forms will be processed by the time you get home.
ATF is quoting 9-15 months right now.
View Quote

Maybe someday, but not while I am in the Army.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:14:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you know where your next duty station is going to be?

We're stationed at Fort Hood. Don't know if the Exchange has a layaway plan or not, but I can find out for you. I can stop by the gun counter and ask tomorrow as I will be at the warrior way exchange anyway. Edit, bought my M4 there, no tax, can't beat it.

View Quote

No idea where I will go next. If I was lucky enough to get Europe then I would go home for a visit before PCSing.  I'd be surprised if the exchange would keep stuff for an extended period of time.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:16:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Guns: find a dealer who will keep them for you once you buy them. I was gone over a year and had a dealer hold onto about 20 rifles I had bought. AR50 down to 30 carbines, cheap stuff to high end custom M1A's.

The down side is he fucked me over on taxes (TX dealer) which I know good and well he did not report the money.

Funny thing  is when I returned home to my old room and had nearly 100k of ammo sitting in it. I had no idea how much I had bought-which was good and bad, mostly it was 762x51.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know there are plenty of military in my situation - has anyone found a convenient way to continue to acquire toys?

I'm surprised they would hold them that long.  I wouldn't care much if he reported the taxes - that's on him, not me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Well the Exchange doesn't hold or do layaway, so forget that route. Good luck though
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:22:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm surprised they would hold them that long.  I wouldn't care much if he reported the taxes - that's on him, not me.
View Quote
reporting is not the problem, I had to pay them, which was about 1k.

As long as they are on his books, he can keep them as long as they want.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well the Exchange doesn't hold or do layaway, so forget that route. Good luck though
View Quote

Well thanks for checking!  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:28:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're talking sales taxes, right?  I mean, you expected to pay them on a purchase, right? Or was this an internet purchase and he made you pay taxes when you usually wouldn't have to?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Wife.

I spent 8yrs OCONUS between .mil and contracting. Wife has picked up a lot of stuff. She got ripped lifting ammo off the porch too. RAAAWRR
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:39:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wife.

I spent 8yrs OCONUS between .mil and contracting. Wife has picked up a lot of stuff. She got ripped lifting ammo off the porch too. RAAAWRR
View Quote

Wife is here with me.  Korea ain't what it used to be.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:53:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Or was this an internet purchase and he made you pay taxes when you usually wouldn't have to?
View Quote
YES

I bought the guns around the country from different places-like buds guns, quantico, etc they all ended up in TX where you do have to pay state taxes on ALL itmes purchased abroad. So the gun dealer took the cash but I know he did not pay the taxes on them.

I did not buy them from him, he merely was a transfer dealer. I was not pissed at the tax, I was pissed the shitbag dealer used it as a excuse to rip me off.

claro?

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:08:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
YES

I bought the guns around the country from different places-like buds guns, quantico, etc they all ended up in TX where you do have to pay state taxes on ALL itmes purchased abroad. So the gun dealer took the cash but I know he did not pay the taxes on them.

I did not buy them from him, he merely was a transfer dealer. I was not pissed at the tax, I was pissed the shitbag dealer used it as a excuse to rip me off.

claro?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or was this an internet purchase and he made you pay taxes when you usually wouldn't have to?
YES

claro?

Gotcha.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top