Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/10/2013 5:18:05 PM EDT
This would be before the boating accident clearly.

I am wondering though if my inventory (with serial numbers, maybe pics) should be saved electronically off site.

I have a paper copy off site, but it is a pain to update, and I don't keep pics of my inventory on paper.

This would mainly be kept as a reaction to theft or destruction.

Mods please feel free to move this topic if there is a better sub forum.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't put anything in the cloud.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Encrypt list and/or pics BEFORE uploading to cloud. Truecrypt or something like that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Nah.

Flash drives, one In safe deposit box and one in a drawer at an undisclosed location.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm bathing in a cloud of mayonnaise right now.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe if it's an unimpressive list of guns that are already papered to you. Then I'd think about it, especially if it's only a few.

Other than that?
Fuck no snake!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#7]
NSA is watching you through your webcam as you make out the paper list anyway, what's it matter?

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nah.

Flash drives, one In safe deposit box and one in a drawer at an undisclosed location.

View Quote

THIS! cloud services have total access to your data. That is why I tell my clients NO! All these smartphone sync to outlook.com, google.com..... all of that is minable.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I would not worry about it. Do you think big brother does not know what you already own? I am not a tinfoil had guy, but I believe they keep records of all paperwork.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#10]
No.  No.  No.  Nope.  Uh uh.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:26:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I lost all my guns in a tragic clouding accident
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Why don't you just mail a list with serial numbers and pics to Holder and NSA?

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm bathing in a cloud of mayonnaise right now.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No.  No.  No.  Nope.  Uh uh.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI and all that. I seem to recall a news item within the last year where somebody who had their business records on a cloud server that was confiscated by LE in pursuit of some other, unrelated person's records lost them. The government's position was that once your data is in (on?) the cloud it no longer belongs to you.

ETA: A bit on the above at Slashdot.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Only if you use TrueCrypt first.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#17]
You're fine if you use TrueCrypt.

If you're on vacation without your little flash drive and a nuke takes out your hometown, your bank, etc., you'll still have your list.

Some people know enough to be paranoid, but not enough about how to protect yourself from those issues AND have the benefits.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Encrypt list and/or pics BEFORE uploading to cloud. Truecrypt or something like that.
View Quote

Came to say this.

Make a 5MB volume and encrypt it with TrueCrypt. Then put a couple text files in it with your inventory. Use a complex passkey for the file.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#19]
87 votes for no.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
87 votes for no.
View Quote

87 votes for not knowing how to secure your shit so that it doesn't matter who can get a fucking copy of it and won't be able to tell what the fuck it is.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh... I did this for mine, recorded all of the models and S/N's on google drive, along with round counts, malfunctions, etc.

Probably too late to take down now, they probably have 50 copies of it. Damnit NSA...  At least I named the document something random.

Well, thinking about it, every time I take a picture of one on my phone it goes to google plus backup anyways, so just by going through those you can see my stuff. Guess Im pretty high up on someones list. Time to schedule a boating trip?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Fuck that!

For my money I say encrypted flash drive stored offsite such as with someone you deem trustworthy.  The bank is not trustworthy in its own right (courts can authorize access to or lock people out of safe deposit boxes... E.g. Happens all the time in divorce litagation), but is a better option than the cloud IMO.

All depends how 'safe' YOU determine it needs to be.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Fuck to the NO.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh please, do y'all really think anyone from the NSA/gubment will be paying attention to someone's random list of gun models and serial numbers? Nobody cares. Even if someone hacked into your account, maybe if they knew your address they might have a list of guns to steal, otherwise, they're not interested in serial numbers. You think if one day there's some liberal fantasy gun-grabbing orgy they're gonna hunt you down because of a list on google docs?

Honestly, storing financial info in the cloud would give me more pause than listing my gun collection.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Sheesh, I feel like putting a long list of fake weapons up. I own a couple NFA items, so I'm already on the "list", maybe if they spend a long time looking for shit that doesn't exist someone else will have time to secure theirs or use them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:34:00 PM EDT
[#28]
As I recall, Google Drive's Terms of Service give them ownership over your files.  Not sure if it's been amended or if it just allows them rights to copy / move between servers, but the other cloud systems are good.  Box.com is a good one.  We even have an enterprise account with them.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Fuck that!

For my money I say encrypted flash drive stored offsite such as with someone you deem trustworthy.  The bank is not trustworthy in its own right (courts can authorize access to or lock people out of safe deposit boxes... E.g. Happens all the time in divorce litagation), but is a better option than the cloud IMO.

All depends how 'safe' YOU determine it needs to be.
View Quote

I work for a bank and if anybody thinks access to a safe deposit box is just willy nilly daily bullshit, you are mistaken.

Fuck me, I loathe those fuckers sometimes.  A will search will get a conservator, successor trustee or rep payee in but there will always be at least two bank officers present and documenting everything done.  If someone is an actual joint owner and has a key - business as usuall.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Why not call up the BATFE and give them the information, just to be safe?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I only watch for "pudding" in the cloud.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#32]
How could anyone be stupid enough to do that?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#33]
am not a tinfoil had guy, but I believe they keep records of all paperwork.
http://goo.gl/Z3g1EF
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Oh please, do y'all really think anyone from the NSA/gubment will be paying attention to someone's random list of gun models and serial numbers? Nobody cares. Even if someone hacked into your account, maybe if they knew your address they might have a list of guns to steal, otherwise, they're not interested in serial numbers. You think if one day there's some liberal fantasy gun-grabbing orgy they're gonna hunt you down because of a list on google docs?
View Quote
haha well I hope not... seriously though, they were all bought on CC's anyways, so between that, the 4473's or whatever the number is, posting on here, all the times I go to the range where I pay with CC, my USPSA membership, competition results posted online, my gmail inbox full of PSA and Midway "Your order has shipped" emails, my google search results, my Conceal Carry permit, my insurance... and Im probably missing a ton of other things. Point is, if they really want to find them, there are enough "paper trails" they can. Bigger question is if there is the will and manpower, but thats a conversation for other threads that happen here all the time. So given all that info thats out there, I dont feel bad about having the record on Google drive. heck, just from my credit card statements alone the NSA probably knows more about which ones I've owned in my life than I do. Molon Labe.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#36]
no way in hell.

goes on an encrypted thumb drive times two. 1 copy in your safe, 1 copy somewhere ELSE.

you should also be keeping digital copies of your car title, house deed, and other docs along with it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Serious question for those of you saying TrueCrypt:  Do you honestly believe that the .gov doesn't have means of decrypting anything encrypted with TrueCrypt (or any other encryption currently commercially available for that matter)?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Just e-mail yourself a copy. Encode/encrypt if you want. One-time pad if you're really paranoid.

Not worried about it much myself.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#39]
These guys are watching you type your data.  So what if it's in the cloud too?  

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Serious question for those of you saying TrueCrypt:  Do you honestly believe that the .gov doesn't have means of decrypting anything encrypted with TrueCrypt (or any other encryption currently commercially available for that matter)?
View Quote
thats a good point, I mean we are talking about the NSA, and their job is to decrypt this exact stuff...

*Not a supporter of the NSA, I just think its a good point*
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#41]
NVM; I misunderstood.

As to the original topic, I would not upload that info to the cloud.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just e-mail yourself a copy. Encode/encrypt if you want. One-time pad if you're really paranoid.

Not worried about it much myself.
View Quote

Or you could just not email it at all and save it in your draft folder.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

TrueCrypt.

Although the research has NOT been done it's pretty reasonable that using it it very likely to store something as stupid simple as a firearm serial number.

What do you do with the rifles without serial numbers?

What about the ones you sold face-to-face at your uncle Dave's wedding to that guy you never even met before?
View Quote
My 80% builds? I put N/A

Seriously though, no point in recording something without a number, is there?

But there are still emails with those order confirmations, and CC records, so unless you buy one FTF with NO prior electronic conversation about it (since they are capturing what, all of it now?), they have info somewhere about it... my guess, logging on here is probably a better data point than some random text and numbers in a spreadsheet in the cloud.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think if the gov't had a magic decryption device that could decrypt any of these algorithms with something more than brute force via quantum computer we'd have heard about a lot more than just wire taps regarding the NSA this year.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Trust  Google?  No.  No fucking way.
Trust the cloud? No.  No fucking way.

Trusting Google is worse than trusting the NSA.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:20:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Encrypted USB in a safe deposit box or your desk at work.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
thats a good point, I mean we are talking about the NSA, and their job is to decrypt this exact stuff...    

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a terrible point.  With a good password there is no way the NSA would even bother making the effort unless they think you have serious info.  By serious I mean the date the nukes go off.

True crypt is pretty damn secure, particularly for this very benign purpose.  Toss it on a few CDs and scatter them around.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

What some of you guys rationalize as "opsec"  is actually a well known phenomenon called paranoia. Seriously,  some of you act like everyone and everything is out to get you.

Just encrypt the files and upload them. Or don't. I'm sure the gov is going to flip shit when Google hands them your list of 3 ARs, an sks and 2 glocks.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What some of you guys rationalize as "opsec"  is actually a well known phenomenon called paranoia. Seriously,  some of you act like everyone and everything is out to get you.

Just encrypt the files and upload them. Or don't. I'm sure the gov is going to flip shit when Google hands them your list of 3 ARs, an sks and 2 glocks.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until I see that Bud's and AIM Surplus are feeding the NSA their backend inventory data, I feel I can trust them.

Google has admitted that they gave the NSA a backdoor that they demanded.

Come on man, at least make it difficult for them.

Also, most of us here have a lot more than just 6 firearms....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top