Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 12/10/2013 1:27:01 PM EDT
Yes it is the same son I had the thank you debacle with. This is unrelated as far as I can tell. Long story short, he told a holocaust joke to some kid he knew, and a Jewish girl that doesn't usually sit near him heard it, told the  Honors English instructor (who apparently mostly teaches his lessons based on seeing everybody as equals), and here we are. 3 day suspension. I dont understand how he could use such poor judgement. This is an honors English class where they are in a unit based on slavery. Im simply at a loss for words. After she started crying, he went up to the teacher and her and apologized profusely, but the damage was done. Now I have to make sure his record does not say that he was suspended for "being anti semetic" or something

ETA: The joke was about as bad as it gets.
"Why did Hitler kill himself?

He got the gas bill."
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Freedom of Speech no longer applies to jokes?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#2]
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  this would be better in team.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  this would be better in team.
View Quote

Yeah, this is really going to get the purses swinging.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Edit: Got it. I have heard worse.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
We told bad jokes as kids all the time in school.  Teachers might tell us to stop or be respective of our peers, but a suspension?  For a joke like that?  
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I Lol'd.  About the joke.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Parenting fail.

You're supposed to teach them at a young age to look around and make sure no <insert topic of joke here> are around.  This is Joke Telling 101 stuff here, damn it.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd get a lawyer. 3 days for a joke. Hopefully this doesn't adversely impact his future.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

The kid he was talking to rebutted with "What's the worse part of being a black jew?

Sitting in the back of the gas chamber."
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We told bad jokes as kids all the time in school.  Teachers might tell us to stop or be respective of our peers, but a suspension?  For a joke like that?  
View Quote

agreed, this stupid. First Amendment should apply to this. It helps if you make self deprecating jokes at the same time. I tell 2 redneck-cracker jokes for every sexist or otherwise offensive joke I tell. it works pretty well....
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#12]
IBTL
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Parenting fail.

You're supposed to teach them at a young age to look around and make sure no <insert topic of joke here> are around.  This is Joke Telling 101 stuff here, damn it.

View Quote

Being Jewish isn't exactly the most identifiable trait.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

The slaughter, torture, and murder of millions of women, children, and men is not even remotely funny.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
IBTL
View Quote

Why would this get locked
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#17]
He should have joked about antigun Senators. That's a pretty good one these days in Colorado.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Bad judgment, but ridiculous suspension IMO.  There's zero reason for a girl that generation to be so emotionally devastated by that harmless joke.  Its in poor taste for sure, but I chuckled a bit at its ridiculousness.  Maybe I should be suspended...

Point is, there are much worse things that do justify suspension.  This just doesn't seem to.  I mean, c'mon, we all know South Park rips on everyone, but even they made a holocaust joke with Cartman and Kyle at one point.  Something about Kyle not being able to focus and needed to attend a concentration camp.  No need for anyone to get their panties in a bunch over it.

The holocaust sucked and is a very black mark on history.  But there's no reason to treat it as totally untouchable.  I'm sure jokes that are far more offensive are told in his school.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Suspension seems a bit excessive. Common sense is one of things that can't be learned you either have or you don't.  Maybe they should have sent him to some sensitivity training instead, might have helped him more than a 3 day vacation from school.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:36:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Remember the "Truly Tasteless" books?

Apparently nobody at that school does.

Dirty jokes are a mandatory part of a teen's existence.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:36:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Parenting fail.

Then err on the side of caution or stick to jokes that involve easily identifiable skin color.

Racist jokes are the funniest, regardless of what race is the butt of it.  I don't care who you are.  They just are.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes it is the same son I had the thank you debacle with. This is unrelated as far as I can tell. Long story short, he told a holocaust joke to some kid he knew, and a Jewish girl that doesn't usually sit near him heard it, told the  Honors English instructor (who apparently mostly teaches his lessons based on seeing everybody as equals), and here we are. 3 day suspension. I dont understand how he could use such poor judgement. This is an honors English class where they are in a unit based on slavery. Im simply at a loss for words. After she started crying, he went up to the teacher and her and apologized profusely, but the damage was done. Now I have to make sure his record does not say that he was suspended for "being anti semetic" or something

He got the gas bill."
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#23]
This is a stupid as suspending the kid for chewing his pop tart into the shape of a gun.

It seems an apology should be sufficient.

BTW I'm half Jewish, I hate anti-Semitic jokes, and I laughed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Are jokes covered in the schools Code of Conduct?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

He got the gas bill."
View Quote

Now in the old days that would have been laughed off but the only way it could be worse is if it was about blacks
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IBTL

a terrible feeling
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The kid he was talking to rebutted with "What's the worse part of being a black jew?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need to write these down!!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He got the gas bill."
View Quote

That's actually a funny joke. Jewish girl needs to grow a pair. The teacher is just par for the course.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm tempted to bukakke this thread with Jewish jokes, but I don't think my account can take another time-out.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This is a good lesson in paying attention before flapping your lips  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Parenting fail.

This is a good lesson in paying attention before flapping your lips  

And for learning how fucked the system is.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#31]
3 days for a fucking 1 liner?? Seriously? What the fuck ever happened to detention?? I would be pissed at the school.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#33]
You're school is insane. (Not that they care about what I say)

On a side note most jokes are stupid anyways.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

daaayuum!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The slaughter, torture, and murder of millions of women, children, and men is not even remotely funny.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I for one aint laughing about obama but everyone around me thinks its ok.

A joke is a joke.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Suspension seems a bit excessive. Common sense is one of things that can't be learned you either have or you don't.  Maybe they should have sent him to some sensitivity training instead, might have helped him more than a 3 day vacation from school.
View Quote

I would gladly have my kid take a 3 day suspension over some bullshit sensitivity training.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Parenting fail.

Drop a nickel on the ground 1st and see who goes for it
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
3 days for a fucking 1 liner?? Seriously? What the fuck ever happened to detention?? I would be pissed at the school.
View Quote

Schools are pussies nowadays.  One of my friends came back from lunch break, shit-face hammered in HS, and only got 1 day of in-school suspension.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#39]
"Whoa....hey- you can't say that.  My grandfather died in a concentration camp- he got drunk one night and fell out of the guard tower."

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm tempted to bukakke this thread with Jewish jokes, but I don't think my account can take another time-out.

View Quote

Dooooooooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Edit: BEAT AGAIN!

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

He got the gas bill."
View Quote

For future reference, the correct response is:

"Dude, that's not funny--my grandfather died in one of Hitler's concentration camps!!!

He fell out of the guard tower...."
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Why the fuck was he suspended for that?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Even in the 80's, I recall a class clown busting out with "DECK THE HALLS WITH GASOLINE" and just being made to go sit the hell in the corner, plus no recess, and some extra worksheets. Private school.

Things have gone full retard. Who needs to think when there's ZERO TOLERANCE?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Nothwithstanding the "appropriateness" of a suspension for what your son did, it sounds like you need to take three days off from work and spend it talking to your son about life and such.  I think he'd appreciate it both now, and in the future (and it sounds like he needs it).
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a few too, but I don't feel like being spanked by a penguin.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#47]
joking about the holocaust isnt funny anne frankly shows poor taste.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Do you guys know how copper wire was invented?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:43:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Edited for safety

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#50]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top