Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/10/2013 6:23:28 AM EDT
Getting 3-6" of snow again today. We'll see how that goes since we got 8" of a coating to an inch on Sunday. Anyway, The wife didn't want a 4wd vehicle when it was time for her to get a car... I've always owned a 4x4... Wife woke me up this morning to let me know she was taking my Jeep to work(Patriot, not Wrangler) and I'm stuck with her Hyundai to go to work with tonight...  FML!!!

Just my weak rant. I'd rather her be safe and get to work/home safely... But I'm absolutely using this to my advantage when her lease is up and getting a Wrangler!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:24:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Getting 3-6" of snow again today. We'll see how that goes since we got 8" of a coating to an inch on Sunday. Anyway, The wife didn't want a 4wd vehicle when it was time for her to get a car... I've always owned a 4x4... Wife woke me up this morning to let me know she was taking my Jeep to work(Patriot, not Wrangler) and I'm stuck with her Hyundai to go to work with tonight...  FML!!!

Just my weak rant. I'd rather her be safe and get to work/home safely... But I'm absolutely using this to my advantage when her lease is up and getting a Wrangler!
View Quote

Put some good snow tires on the Hyundai.  She'll leave your stuff alone.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#2]
since my subscription lapsed... there is now an ad for a brand new 2014 silverado directly next to your post.

so far 100% of the silverados i have owned have been 4x4.  and the one tahoe too
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
since my subscription lapsed... there is now an ad for a brand new 2014 silverado directly next to your post.

so far 100% of the silverados i have owned have been 4x4.  and the one tahoe too
View Quote

All I have is a shitty PNC ad.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Leasing vehicles is a waste of money anyhow, but you do what you want.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:29:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Leasing vehicles is a waste of money anyhow, but you do what you want.
View Quote

Agreed 100%. But at that time it was the best option for us. But we're in a better place now and the next car will be owned. Her lease is up in Feb.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:29:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a beater Cherokee for snow driving.  Cheap, easy to use, whitens your teeth while you sleep.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:29:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm driving a 2wd s10 in the snow right now, if it makes you feel any better.

I don't think I'll ever get another 2wd pickup. (got this one real cheap, it's just a little beater work truck)

Traded off my silverado, love the 4banger mileage, miss 4wd real bad sometimes.

I think a 4wd tacoma, s10, or colorado/canyon might be the perfect truck for me, I like the little trucks pretty well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:29:37 AM EDT
[#8]
We traded in my wires 4x4 Liberty for a Lexus Hybrid. The Liberty was worthless as tits on a board in the snow. An open diff and 4x4 = crap.

The front wheel drive Lexus drives circles around the jeep in the snow. Go figure!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah unless you're under feet upon feet of snow you'll do fine with some good tires on a FWD.  And wranglers are gross bud.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#10]
2 wheel drive vehicles are for getting stuck.

4 wheel drive vehicles are for getting stuck in places where no one else can reach you to pull you out.

I somehow struggle through the snow and ice with FWD, ABS, and traction control.  I even passed a jacked up 4wd pickup that had managed to dig four divots in the snow and got stuck in a McDonalds parking lot

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get a beater Cherokee for snow driving.  Cheap, easy to use, whitens your teeth while you sleep.
View Quote

They're upside-down here a lot. I prefer a heavy full-sized truck with sandbags in the bed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#12]
This is why:

rained all last week at the hunting lease,
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Get a Subaru.  It'll chew through 90% of the crap a Wrangler will, no UAW, and get twice the mileage or better.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:43:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

4 wheel drive vehicles are for getting stuck in places where no one else can reach you to pull you out. Helps if you know how to drive

I somehow struggle through the snow and ice with FWD, ABS, and traction control.  I even passed a jacked up 4wd pickup that had managed to dig four divots in the snow and got stuck in a McDonalds parking lot

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I somehow struggle through the snow and ice with FWD, ABS, and traction control. [/img]

View Quote

Step 1: Slow the f@ck down.
Step 2: Replace your bald-ass tires.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Pics of wife?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:49:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Girlfriend drives a 4Runner, I drive a 4Runner. We also have access to an FJ40 if it get's really bad out.

I will always have at least 1 4 wheel drive vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

4 wheel drive vehicles are for getting stuck in places where no one else can reach you to pull you out.

View Quote

Exactly. I was taught that 4 wheel drive only gets you stuck twice as deep.

The first front wheel drive car I drove in the 80's blew me away. It was after a major storm in CO and people were all over the place. Short of stuffing it into a snow bank I couldn't get that thing stuck.

Yet the best snow trucks I have owned have been:

'94 Jeep Cherokee with good tires, unstoppable.
'95 Toyota Land Cruiser, 6,000lbs of traction
'14 Toyota Tundra 4x4, my favorite so far

Over rated:

'97 Subi Outback. That car did good but when the snow hit the rockers it started showing its weaknesses. The viscus diff was not aggressive enough to keep individual wheel s from taking the power.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I wish I had a 4wd vehicle or at least a FWD vehicle, a RWD Infiniti G35 is not pairing well with any snow. I don't even want to talk about ice.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:55:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Lesbarus are always funny until the next winter storm comes through.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quit yer bitching, I'm driving a Mustang Gt in the snow.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a 4wd 4runner, and I stayed home in the PA snow today…

I started out going to work, but the roads were still pretty treacherous near me even with 4wd.  After 20 minutes of driving and only making it about 10 miles due to the conditions and other drivers I turned around and went home.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Extra special sort of fun!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Truth.

That said a 4wd and a good set of tires in the hands of someone who knows how to handle snow is another thing entirely.  It is fun to see the guys with lifts and mud boggers bombing down the roads and then pulling them out with my Jeep GC with bargain basement Winterforces
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Went from a Mustang GT to a Cherokee in New England.....best decision I've ever made.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Get a Subaru.  It'll chew through 90% of the crap a Wrangler will, no UAW, and get twice the mileage or better.
View Quote

Comes with a free rainbow sticker also
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:59:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Girlfriend drives a 4Runner, I drive a 4Runner. We also have access to an FJ40 if it get's really bad out.

View Quote

I rage when my 4Runner ABS decides that no, I shouldn't stop on this snow and rather we will let you slide into the intersection.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:00:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Except for a few years in Florida , Ive always had at least one 4x4 in my stable since the mid 80's ....I cant imagine not owning one living in the snowy states . Ive two Rams now , one being a dedicated plow truck .

Good tires seem to be the key to a comfortable existence in snowy weather . . . . and Im due for some new rubbers myself.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Front wheel drive does well in the snow, if you have the right tires
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:03:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I ran RWD Crown Vics and Caprices for years with no real trouble.

ETA: Can't speak for PA, but here, most of the vehicles I see in teh ditch are 4wd.  Overconfidence will crash you long before a 2wd vehicle does.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I ran RWD Crown Vics and Caprices for years with no real trouble.
View Quote

Well, those also have the approximate mass of a neutron star.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:04:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Always keeps the milk and bread runs interesting.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#33]
I grew up in a northern state.  Small front wheel drive cars are great in the snow.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:06:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I have been driving my AWD Cadillac SRX to work. We got 5" yesterday and another 5" an still snowin. Caddy hasn't had a problem yet. I also have a big jeep with lockers but that thing gets scary in the snow at speed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:09:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

We had two elantras and both were decent in the snow, only problem now is too much plastic... hit thema nd they fall apart.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have been driving my AWD Cadillac SRX to work. We got 5" yesterday and another 5" an still snowin. Caddy hasn't had a problem yet. I also have a big jeep with lockers but that thing gets scary in the snow at speed.
View Quote

been thinking about geting an srx for my next car. What options did you get with the car or wished you got?  What do you like/dislike about it?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:13:31 AM EDT
[#37]
4WD or even AWD is indeed nice.  Just remember, neither does jack shit to stop your vehicle.  All either does is make it rather difficult to get stuck, it does NOT stick your vehicle to the road.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Sell Hyundai, get Subaru Forester. Get Hyundai gas mileage with best all wheel drive available and not give a shit if you ever drive a Italian owned Chrysler ever again. Profit
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:18:08 AM EDT
[#39]
I bought a Toyota FJ Cruiser yesterday (love it).  Traded in the Audi S8.  End of an era...
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:21:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will help the wife unit set up a proper threesome.

I drove my Dad's Subaru in the snow and took it hunting.  It was quite capable, and it did make me into a lesbian.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#41]
We used to live on the beach so I've always bought 4wd vehicles. Five years ago, hurricane Ike took our house and I don't go down there much any more. I bought a new truck in May and didn't even really think about it... bought 4wd. I've used 4wd in the new truck a couple of times but probably not enough to justify the expense. Some of that cost will be returned when I trade it in, and I'll give it more thought then - but; better to have it and not need it, than need it...
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#42]
I was at an industry school in York,PA for about a week several years ago. The boss had rented me a P(OS)T Cruiser. It snowed about 8-10" the last night I was there. Those things make great snow plows.  It took me about 3 hours to go from York to BWI.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#43]
OP is pissed that his wife is safer now?

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#44]
I experienced the same thing with my wife.

In 2009 she wanted a Lexus IS250 RWD.  I wanted her to get a Subaru AWD.
When lots of rain/snow come (Portland, OR area), she took my Toyota 4Runner 4WD.
In 2012, I made her dump the Lexus for a Subaru Forester
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Get snow tires.  Really.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I rage when my 4Runner ABS decides that no, I shouldn't stop on this snow and rather we will let you slide into the intersection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird, sounds like a malfunction. Mine works like a jewel when wet. Not sure about snow, my AO will have a high close to 80 today.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

4wd doesn't make a vehicle safer.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:53:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Lesbarus are always funny until the next winter storm comes through.
View Quote

I've owned two Pathfinders, a Wrangler and an Xterra.  I now drive an Outback, and that thing goes in the snow as good or better than any of the previous.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top