Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/9/2013 11:10:11 PM EDT
After much back and forth on what I wanted for a new car, the 370z seems to have taken the lead. A local dealer has one with the options I want (Base model, manual, Sports Package) a couple hundred under invoice. Any reason I shouldn't get the car? Anything to watch out for?

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Worth it, they reduced the price to 28K. but it not selling. At all.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Looking at about $32k out the door. I read somewhere that Nissan is only moving something like 3500 370z a year! I guess its just not a desirable car in the segment? I have always lusted after Z cars, they seem to have very nice aftermarket support, and are just pure fun.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Looking at about $32k out the door. I read somewhere that Nissan is only moving something like 3500 370z a year! I guess its just not a desirable car in the segment? I have always lusted after Z cars, they seem to have very nice aftermarket support, and are just pure fun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too much. Nissan dropped it under 30K last year.

For a V6 coupe that gets 300+- HP. The Mustang base model comes in at 22K. So. theres that. Plus the 370 isn't exactly "new". that factor has worn off. Nissan is considering discontinuing the Z.

EDIT: Out the door , as in with Tag, taxes paid done finito?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Their problem is that they are a little too well rounded as a road car, and thus have been passed up by the cheaper, purer options.

The 350/370Z handles great, but it is large and heavy and thus many who desire handling will end up with an S2000 or a BRZ/FR86 since they are cheaper, lighter and ultimately are purer corner carvers.

The 350/370Z is quick, but again it is large and heavy for its N/A powerplant and so those who want power in this segment will tend to either seek the American pony cars or the turbo/awd rally buggies and pocket rockets since they are cheaper and faster in a straight line.

The 350/370Z is nice, but it is still a $30k+ Nissan, and so those who seek a nice comfortable sporty ride are going to end up with the upmarket G37 or one of the various Lexus/Cadillac/BMW offerings in the category.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

For a V6 coupe that gets 300+- HP. The Mustang base model comes in at 22K. So. theres that. Plus the 370 isn't exactly "new". that factor has worn off. Nissan is considering discontinuing the Z.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$32k out the door for base model WITH Sports Package and a couple other odds and ends that might be wroth an extra few hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an Infiniti G37x... same engine and drive train except mine is AWD.  

Hold on to your pants.  It is unbelievably fun to drive.  Also, figure in $200 for a radar detector.  You'll need it.  Mine has saved my ass numerous times in the 6 months I've had it
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Their problem is that they are a little too well rounded as a road car, and thus have been passed up by the cheaper, purer options.

The 350/370Z handles great, but it is large and heavy and thus many who desire handling will end up with an S2000 or a BRZ/FR86 since they are cheaper, lighter and ultimately are purer corner carvers.

The 350/370Z is quick, but again it is large and heavy for its N/A powerplant and so those who want power in this segment will tend to either seek the American pony cars or the turbo/awd rally buggies and pocket rockets since they are cheaper and faster in a straight line.

The 350/370Z is nice, but it is still a $30k+ Nissan, and so those who seek a nice comfortable sporty ride are going to end up with the upmarket G37 or one of the various Lexus/Cadillac/BMW offerings in the category.
View Quote

Good summary! That pretty much explains why the 370z floated to the top of my list. Currently I am driving a 9yo Scion TC. Sick of a anemic 4-banger. The BRZ, while I think is a great car is still a 4-banger and there isn't much cornering fun to be had around these parts. If I was back in VA, that would be a different story. I never cared for pony cars and would kill myself with a pocket rocket.

G37 would be great, but its a considerable step up, price wise, that I just don't feel like spending. Never mind, that much of the extra tech stuff they put on those cars is something I don't want. I would much rather use a Garmin, wire in my own audio equipment, don't need heated seats, etc.

The only other car that was really in the running was a Genesis Coupe, and the idea of buying Korean was just something I couldn't shake. A Lexus IS 350 also seemed nice. Same thing though, much higher price tag with a lot of bells and whistles that I didn't want or would get in the way of me doing what I want. Thus, it seems, the 370z is about the perfect car for my budget and wants being currently offered.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Hold on to your pants.  It is unbelievably fun to drive.  Also, figure in $200 for a radar detector.  You'll need it.  Mine has saved my ass numerous times in the 6 months I've had it
View Quote

Have a Beltronics STI Driver being upgraded to the Magnum as I type this. Essential driving gear, right up there with a GPS, as far as I am concerned.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Have a Beltronics STI Driver being upgraded to the Magnum as I type this. Essential driving gear, right up there with a GPS, as far as I am concerned.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly the biggest shocker for me was when I take my car to the dealer to do oil changes... $45 and they wash and detail my car.  

And before you all cornhole me over taking my car to the dealership... it's still under warranty and it's 5 mins down the road.  I'd rather take it there over a Midas/Jiffy Lube kind of place.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

My buddy had a G37 and then test drove my 2012 5.0.  Said the mustang is much faster and a few months later sold the G and bought a new 5.0.

I know mustangs aren't for everyone, but it's priced similarly to the 370.

My only advice is If this will be your DD consider an AWD car like stated above.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My buddy had a G37 and then test drove my 2012 5.0.  Said the mustang is much faster and a few months later sold the G and bought a new 5.0.

My only advice is If this will be your DD consider an AWD car like stated above.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, DD for the next 8-10 years. I don't switch out cars often. But, why AWD for someone living in south Texas?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#12]
DT
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:54:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep, DD for the next 8-10 years. I don't switch out cars often. But, why AWD for someone living in south Texas?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Virtually same MPG but far superior handling.  Also puts the power down very well when you put your foot into it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Good summary! That pretty much explains why the 370z floated to the top of my list. Currently I am driving a 9yo Scion TC. Sick of a anemic 4-banger. The BRZ, while I think is a great car is still a 4-banger and there isn't much cornering fun to be had around these parts. If I was back in VA, that would be a different story. I never cared for pony cars and would kill myself with a pocket rocket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

G37 would be great, but its a considerable step up, price wise, that I just don't feel like spending. Never mind, that much of the extra tech stuff they put on those cars is something I don't want. I would much rather use a Garmin, wire in my own audio equipment, don't need heated seats, etc.

The only other car that was really in the running was a Genesis Coupe, and the idea of buying Korean was just something I couldn't shake. A Lexus IS 350 also seemed nice. Same thing though, much higher price tag with a lot of bells and whistles that I didn't want or would get in the way of me doing what I want. Thus, it seems, the 370z is about the perfect car for my budget and wants being currently offered.

I meant automotive pocket rockets not motorcycles. The sport compact scene is covered up in capable, quick turbo toys. The Focus ST, the Mazdaspeed 3/6, the GTI/GLI are all amazing for what they can do for the money, and until you have driven the modern turbo buggies (EVO, STI) you haven't lived.

When I bought my car in 2006 I had it narrowed down to four cars. The 350Z, the RX8, the EVO IX, and the STI. After driving all four, the n/a cars just felt dead to me. The EVO was the technical win for handling and speed, but I worked as a mechanic for a few years and have a bad taste in my mouth for DSMs.

The real difference in value comes when you try to mod the Z cars vs. the turbo cars. The Z is already pretty well tuned all around, so there aren't easy, cheap gains to be made the way you can spend a few hundred bucks on exhaust hardware and an ECU tune and completely transform the turbo buggies. Making a Z much more than it already is costs cubic dollars.

And you need a trailer to take your AutoX/RallyX tires to an event

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:56:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Virtually same MPG but far superior handling.  Also puts the power down very well when you put your foot into it.
View Quote
Had to double check. 370z doesn't come in AWD. I think that is only in the G37/Q-whatever they are called now lineup.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How tall are you?  I'm 6'4" and wanted an IS350 until I didn't fit in it very well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#17]
How about a 6000 SUX. They might even throw in a blaupunkt!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

How tall are you?  I'm 6'4" and wanted an IS350 until I didn't fit in it very well.
View Quote

6' 2". Never got to sit in one since I ruled it out early due to price/features/etc. It did seem small, but based on the numbers its nearly the same size as my TC.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#19]
its a 2015 mustang with a v6
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

its a 2015 mustang with a v6
View Quote

At least it looks better.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:40:33 AM EDT
[#21]
They're very nice cars.

The only downside is the constant need for others telling you that you could have bought something else. That just goes with the territory. Some guys like to drive spec sheets and spend other people's money.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:57:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I think they are fine looking cars;  I am a HP guy, so shoehorn 400+ HP into it and it would get my attention-but still I very nice vehicle with great lines and heritage.  

Maybe "agress" the price a little more to a walk away point?  

That way, if you doubt or have to trade later, you are in better shape bang for the buck wise?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:03:34 AM EDT
[#23]
All my 2008 350Z has done to it is headers, intake, exhaust, and a dyno tune.......its pretty damn fast with just those.......then again, I'm not a speed junkie....its certainly faster than most shit I've encountered in the Hampton Roads area of VA, so I guess that's cool.

The VQ35DE engine in the '08 Z doesn't like FI that much.

YMMV with the 370Z. No clue about them, except that they were mucho expensive when I bought my 350Z.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:09:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I think they are fine looking cars;  I am a HP guy, so shoehorn 400+ HP into it and it would get my attention-but still I very nice vehicle with great lines and heritage.  

Maybe "agress" the price a little more to a walk away point?  

That way, if you doubt or have to trade later, you are in better shape bang for the buck wise?
View Quote

Yeah, I am going to give it the old college try and haggle down some. I am also doing a trade in, so I can work that angle as well. I would  be hard pressed to find a reason to trade in a car early. Once I commit to something like that, I am usually in it for the long haul.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:11:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

All my 2008 350Z has done to it is headers, intake, exhaust, and a dyno tune.......its pretty damn fast with just those.......then again, I'm not a speed junkie....its certainly faster than most shit I've encountered in the Hampton Roads area of VA, so I guess that's cool.

The VQ35DE engine in the '08 Z doesn't like FI that much.

YMMV with the 370Z. No clue about them, except that they were mucho expensive when I bought my 350Z.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7297/9131644627_227f37a811_k.jpg
View Quote

I am glad they changed the lines on the 370Z. I could never warm up to the 350 body style even though I still wanted one.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:51:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you smoking?  The Mustang has 120 HP more than your girl car and handles comparable to a M3.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:55:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

What are you smoking?  The Mustang has 120 HP more than your girl car and handles comparable to a M3.
View Quote

Put the pipe down man.

That last post was discussing the virtues of AWD vs RWD in the G-series Infiniti.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:57:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Put the pipe down man.

That last post was discussing the virtues of AWD vs RWD in the G-series Infiniti.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put the pipe down man.

Gotcha. I still maintain the G-series is a girl car.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:05:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Put the pipe down man.

Haha.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:47:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Herp derp get a man's car;buy a Mustang derp

Just ignore the percentage of Mustang buyers that are female because those aren't *really* Mustangs.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:52:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Being from Smyrna TN, my family has owned several Nissans (Maximas, Stanzas, Altimas, Pathfinders, Sentras) but I'll never buy another after all the trouble we've had with the transmission in my wife's Pathfinder. The guys at the transmission shop say they see more Nissans than anything, and most of the issues are known but the company doesn't fix them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:55:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I've always had LS1 camaros so that's the type of car I like but the 370Z is pretty sexy and a 2-seater which is a plus in my book.  I'd own one in a second - all my camaro does is get me in trouble.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:09:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:Looking at about $32k out the door. I read somewhere that Nissan is only moving something like 3500 370z a year! I guess its just not a desirable car in the segment? I have always lusted after Z cars, they seem to have very nice aftermarket support, and are just pure fun.
View Quote

They're not selling because there are better vehicles in the same segment. Much better.

The 370Z's engine is rough, loud, and not especially powerful. The interior is small and cramped.

However, if you like it, get it......it's a good deal.

I myself would try and find a 2014 Mustang 5.0 for 32k, but that might be tough at this point.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:12:40 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
They're not selling because there are better vehicles in the same segment. Much better.

The 370Z's engine is rough, loud, and not especially powerful. The interior is small and cramped.

I myself would try and find a 2014 Mustang 5.0 for 32k, but that might be tough at this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:Looking at about $32k out the door. I read somewhere that Nissan is only moving something like 3500 370z a year! I guess its just not a desirable car in the segment? I have always lusted after Z cars, they seem to have very nice aftermarket support, and are just pure fun.

You couldn't give me a Mustang. Well, I guess you could, but I would turn around and sell it for something else. They just don't do a thing for me and I have had plenty of friends and coworkers try to convince me otherwise.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:17:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Have you driven it yet?

I've owned 240sx, Maximas, and a Cube (... the wife's car ) and I currently drive a 2010 Maxima so I'm obviously a Datsun fan, and like the Zs.

However, I sat in a 370Z in the dealership and even with the seat all the way back, I didn't feel like I had enough leg room and I'm not really tall.  Maybe it was just that day, but I couldn't get comfy... YMMV.

Otherwise for the reasons posted above pros/cons, it seems like what you're looking for.  In other words...

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:19:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Put me down as another vote for the G37 coupe.  At least you have a small backseat in that model.

ETA:

I own a 2012 Maxima.  The 370 didn't have enough room for me, and neither did the G37.  As a newly formed Nissan Fan-Boy, I would very much like to live vicariously through you.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:19:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Having driven both, the 370 was a vast improvement over the 350.  It accelerates faster, handles lighter, and they dampened interior noise.

I think they are great sports cars.

Get one.  You can drive a mustang like all the other college chicks or get something more refined. JMHO.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:25:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:You can drive a mustang like all the other college chicks or get something more refined. JMHO.
View Quote

But it's not more refined.

Mustangs are quiet, ride well, and when equipped with either the Brembo or Track Pack options, handle and brake better than 370Zs. And they have very nice interiors, and rear seats. And, of course the 5.0 Coyote motor is just a beast.

Only the rear suspension and transmission are better on the 370Z, the Mustang trumps the Z in all other catagories.

And, of course, the 2015 Mustang will be much better, with IRS, less weight, and an even nicer interior.

If I were the OP, I would wait about 6-8 months, and get a 2015 Mustang.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:26:13 AM EDT
[#39]
I would rather have a lightly used and well taken care of M3
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:29:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:You couldn't give me a Mustang. Well, I guess you could, but I would turn around and sell it for something else. They just don't do a thing for me and I have had plenty of friends and coworkers try to convince me otherwise.
View Quote

Seems to me that the styling of the Z is what you like. So, that being the case, get it.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:33:42 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Have you driven it yet?

I've owned 240sx, Maximas, and a Cube (... the wife's car ) and I currently drive a 2010 Maxima so I'm obviously a Datsun fan, and like the Zs.

However, I sat in a 370Z in the dealership and even with the seat all the way back, I didn't feel like I had enough leg room and I'm not really tall.  Maybe it was just that day, but I couldn't get comfy... YMMV.

Otherwise for the reasons posted above pros/cons, it seems like what you're looking for.  In other words...

http://i.imgur.com/nFSebim.gif
View Quote

Nope, not yet. Going to the stealership on Thursday or Friday to give it a run. Being a bit tall, I hope that the leg room isn't an issue. Though I haven't really read too many complaints about interior room for the driver. If its comfortable enough, its a done deal. Really the only foreseeable issue that I can think of.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:34:24 AM EDT
[#42]
that Z is dated and bloated, get a BMW 4 series instead
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:59:56 AM EDT
[#43]
I was in your shoes a few months ago and had it narrowed down to the 370, G37 coupe and the Genesis Coupe. I went with the Genesis and have not looked back since. It's been 3 months and EVERY time I get in that car it puts a big shit eating grin on my face. Hyundai today is a much different company than the Hyundai of old. The 2013 Genesis had some major redesigns and just flat out looks great. It's performance speaks for itself in head to head challenges and the reviews it si receiving are all in the recommened buy category. Have you taken one for a test drive? I purchased the 2.0 for the extra gas mileage but that turbo is nothing to laugh at, but for real power the 3.8 R-Spec is a beast.

Edit: just saw you're a tall guy as am I. Go take that Genesis for a ride. Cabin comfort especially for bigger guys gets a A+++++
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I was in your shoes a few months ago and had it narrowed down to the 370, G37 coupe and the Genesis Coupe. I went with the Genesis and have not looked back since. It's been 3 months and EVERY time I get in that car it puts a big shit eating grin on my face. Hyundai today is a much different company than the Hyundai of old. The 2013 Genesis had some major redesigns and just flat out looks great. It's performance speaks for itself in head to head challenges and the reviews it si receiving are all in the recommened buy category. Have you taken one for a test drive? I purchased the 2.0 for the extra gas mileage but that turbo is nothing to laugh at, but for real power the 3.8 R-Spec is a beast.

Edit: just saw you're a tall guy as am I. Go take that Genesis for a ride. Cabin comfort especially for bigger guys gets a A+++++
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:04:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Slow and heavy.

But that's just my opinion.

Go test drive it and if you like it.. buy it.  What the rest of us think really doesn't matter.  Car preferences are just like a man's taste in women.  It varies considerably.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:09:26 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mc98s2Yh49I/UDAp0LGqs2I/AAAAAAAAAIY/hyZHj5ja4sw/s1600/interdasting.jpg

Sounds like I should really test drive both. If I went the Genesis route it would have to be the 3.8 R-Spec or maybe even Track. That damn hood is ugly as sin though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:15:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Sounds like I should really test drive both. If I went the Genesis route it would have to be the 3.8 R-Spec or maybe even Track. That damn hood is ugly as sin though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-mc98s2Yh49I/UDAp0LGqs2I/AAAAAAAAAIY/hyZHj5ja4sw/s1600/interdasting.jpg

I could do without the non-functioning vents, but it grows on you -the rest of the car ensures that    
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:19:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Get an M3 instead
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:20:11 AM EDT
[#49]
I would never be ok with a car that cost that much and had ZERO potential. The hp per dollar just isn't there for upgrading the engine.

Cars like that are basically maxed out from the factory, unless you spend $10k on forced induction and even then the internals aren't designed for much boost after you spend that $10k.

I ended up with a 2007 twin turbo BMW 3 series coupe  with 23K miles for $26k and a 5 year warranty and it clowns all over a 370Z.

Those that are not scared to buy used, learn about their cars and turn a few wrenches here and there will be rewarded.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#50]
They are great cars for what they are... but most people underestimate how willing they are to live with the sacrifices as a daily driver.  This is why you see tons of them that have 1-2 year owners.  If you can REALLY live with a fairly loud and rough riding 2 seater with little cargo space, then by all means fo.  Most people can't.  They think they can, but can't.

Having said that, new Mustang is just around the corner.  And 30k buys an awfully nice used C6 Vette... that can still have warranty, gets better gas mileage, is cheaper to insure, and is very arguably more usable in terms of space.

Sorry OP I don't envy you.  Though I was buying a 2nd/weekend car, I went back and forth about this for well over a year.  New 370z, new Mustang GT, used C6 Vette were the final contenders for me.  In the end, I couldn't justify buying a new 370 or Mustang, as the depreciation was too big to ignore.  So I went with a 20k mile Vette at well under half of msrp.

If you just want fast and cheap a used 5.0 Mustang is very difficult to beat.  Had the coyotes been around in the used market when I was looking... that probably would have won.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top