Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2013 4:46:07 PM EDT
Got 10 company vehicles that I can get an insurance discount for gps tracking, and it would be great for dispatching and other things.  Anybody have any experience with gps tracking companies?

Looking for OBD2 hookup-nothing fancy.  Consolidated monthly fee- i.e. if it's $50/month, I want that to cover all the devices.

Anybody have any good or bad experiences?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Nextraq kind of sucks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nextraq kind of sucks.
View Quote

I've put a couple of quote requests out to a few, but I shall avoid them then.
What sucks about them?  Anything you like?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Now you're just like the government.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Got 10 company vehicles that I can get an insurance discount for gps tracking, and it would be great for dispatching and other things.  Anybody have any experience with gps tracking companies?

Looking for OBD2 hookup-nothing fancy.  Consolidated monthly fee- i.e. if it's $50/month, I want that to cover all the devices.

View Quote

How much is the discount and do you pay based on the honor system?

We save a metric shit ton of money with tracking just by matching it up to time cards. Its useful for lots of other stuff too.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I use  Qualcomm MCP-50 units in my trucks.,

GPS tracking
GPS Navigation
realtime ECM monitoring- I can tell MPG, miles traveled, hours idle, avg. speed, etc.
I can also do critical event monitoring, meaning hard braking, excessive Gs in turns etc.

Pretty cool system for less than an average cell phone plan.

$55 a month per until, but I have a few other add-ons too.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We save a metric shit ton of money with tracking just by matching it up to time cards. Its useful for lots of other stuff too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's around 5% discount-which is big enough for me to care. I really just want to be able to tell where my delivery guys are at and make quick dispatch decisions.  I  can also have proof of a leadfoot and take corrective action for anything that could increase our liability.  Anything else is just gravy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nextraq kind of sucks.

They will go batshit occasionally and report a vehicle going 120 mph when it is parked somewhere. They'll even fabricate an entire joyride that never happened every once in a while.

They rack odometer miles when vehicles are transported via trailer.

The maintenance logs are inadequate.

Last but not least, the top speed they register is 123 mph.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Where does the black box install on the vehicle?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Where does the black box install on the vehicle?
View Quote

Right in the OBD2 port under the dash.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#11]
We run 1000+ vehicles with real time GPS tracking.

What we use are Sprint/nextel phones with "Mcomet" app. Allows tracking, employee time clocks, and much more.

Works pretty decent.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#12]
No offense but its kind of a big turn off to potential employees. Mainly if its a skilled labor or white collar job.

But I could totally understand from an employer position so I'm torn on the issue.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#13]
We use Nextraq and other than a few little annoyances it works well for us. Beats the Telogis system I swithed from hands down
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No offense but its kind of a big turn off to potential employees. Mainly if its a skilled labor or white collar job.

But I could totally understand from an employer position so I'm torn on the issue.
View Quote

Insurance discount and dispatching-no big deal.  It's under the dash where you and I can both get it.  If I hid it in the vehicle and you didn't know-then you should be concerned(if you knew about it)
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

You wanna pay $5 per month, per vehicle?  Good luck with that
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding. we pay 20 per month per vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Check PM

Info sent.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Check PM

Info sent.

View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that's what it costs for the best service to meet my needs, that's okay.  The $50 was just an arbitrary number.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#20]
We used to get tracked (sales) with apps on or company phones...that kind of sucked.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Fleetmatics, love it.

Real time tracking, replay past days, start, stop, idle, speeding, service schedule, alarm zones (driver's house), can send new stops directly to vehicles Garmin.

Saves me a ton of wasted time on the two way.  $10 per month per vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Contact me via PM and I'll give you all the details of my bids / what I needed fleet wise / etc.

I just did this for my fleet - mixed of about 100 vehicles - semi trucks.

Going to do phase II of the project next for 50 something sales vehicles.

I bid out all the majors. Previously used nextraq - avoid at all costs - probably going to end up in a law suit with them.

Ended up going with forward thinking systems via T-mobile.  Best bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We used to get tracked (sales) with apps on or company phones...that kind of sucked.
View Quote

Air Watch?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Fleetistics got in contact with me today...using the Nextraq system- $125 per unit, not activation fee (only good until end of year) $26.95/unit with 3 yr.
Waiting to hear from two others and I'll update.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#25]
We have them on our ambulances. When they put them in, it was "Oh these will be awesome! Dispatch will actually be able to download directions to the GPS unit in the trucks so you don't have to mess with doing it, they'll know which trucks to dispatch by who is closest to the call, blah blah blah." Now the dispatchers never look at the map and send trucks from across town on calls where there are already trucks sitting, and all the tracking is used for is to bust our balls if we run more than 10mph over the posted speed limit. I have actually been running lights and sirens on the interstate in the left lane with cars blowing by me on the right. I hate it, but I guess it saves the company money.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#26]
www.gotrack.com

I have used these guys. $200 for the OBDII device and $200 per year for the service. So $400, the first year and $200 per year per vehicle afterwards. Easy to use with a lot good tools.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Been looking at gpspolice.com - looks very nice and starting at $15 per car.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top