Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/9/2013 12:32:18 PM EDT
So I've been hemming and hawing about getting into vinyl for some time now. However, I recently received some free records. So now I have to get a record player. The trouble is I don't know what to get.

I mean I don't want to get the Hesse of players and be unhappy. But maybe the $50-$75 players I see at the record store really are good enough. So my question of you is "If you were getting a record player for under $100, what would you get?".

Or alternatively "Retgarr, you idiot! You can't get a decent record player for under $100! Don't be so cheap, save up a few bucks and get this one."
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I was hoping this was about Al Bundy searching for that classic vinyl with the lyrics "go with Himmmm"
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was hoping this was about Al Bundy searching for that classic vinyl with the lyrics "go with Himmmm"
View Quote

Coincidentally enough, I am a shoe salesman.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#3]
For under $100 you can find some on craigslist, yard sales, thrift stores, or record shops. Just look for a direct drive unit that allows you to synchronize the speed.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know much about the lower end stuff, but ALL the high end tables are belt drive. DD is for DJ's scratching records so they get back to speed quickly when you stop them with your hands.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

For under $100 you can find some on craigslist, yard sales, thrift stores, or record shops. Just look for a direct drive unit that allows you to synchronize the speed.
View Quote

This...but no need for direct-drive, belt tables are fine.

Lots of good Teknics and Stantons out there for cheap, and you can get belts/parts/cartridges for them easily.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in the same boat. I want to start collecting vinyl myself. I'm in the market for something belt driven with linear tracking.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're going to buy new, and if you're on a budget, and if you're willing to hear me out, please...consider this one:

I'm listening to Rush on this very turntable right now, and it's everything I hoped it would be, and more.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you're going to buy new, and if you're on a budget, and if you're willing to hear me out, please...consider this one:

http://www.amazon.com/PRO-JECT-DEBUT-MATTE-BLACK-TURNTABLE/dp/B000CDHQK2/ref=sr_1_46?ie=UTF8&qid=1386650327&sr=8-46&keywords=turntable

I'm listening to Rush on this very turntable right now, and it's everything I hoped it would be, and more.
View Quote

Ok, I'm listenin'
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:06:54 PM EDT
[#9]
shit, i just tossed an old pioneer.
Sorry
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:20:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/PRO-JECT-DEBUT-MATTE-BLACK-TURNTABLE/dp/B000CDHQK2/ref=sr_1_46?ie=UTF8&qid=1386650327&sr=8-46&keywords=turntable

View Quote

This was what I would recommend also.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:28:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is a tuner or preamp required?  I'm not seeing any reference to USB.

Nevermind.  Reading is fundamental.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:57:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

An alternative: Music Hall MMF-2.2

A bit more, but it reviews well. I have an MMF-5.1, but that model is closer to $1K.

m

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:26:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

PRO-JECT or REGA - RP1 at the minimum.

Wish I still had

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:07:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Am I just blind, or is there no place on the EE that's appropriate to buy and sell vinyl records and associated equipment?

I just sold $2000 worth of LPs on eBay and the fees are ridiculous. I have a lot more to sell and would like to be able to list it on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ok, I'm listenin'
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, I'm listenin'
I actually screwed that up and posted the wrong link. The one you were listening to (and the one I own, obviously) is this one:

It's $100 more, though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Am I just blind, or is there no place on the EE that's appropriate to buy and sell vinyl records and associated equipment?

I just sold $2000 worth of LPs on eBay and the fees are ridiculous. I have a lot more to sell and would like to be able to list it on ARFCOM.
View Quote
This would be the closest fit, I'd think: http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_7/152_DVDs__CDs__Video_Tapes__andamp__Books.html

And I might like to buy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Check yard sales if you do not want to spend a lot of money.
Just bought a Pioneer PL-600 at a yard sale for 3$, but needs a new belt.
Belt 8.50 shipped from ebay. Nice little turntable for 12 bucks.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I actually screwed that up and posted the wrong link. The one you were listening to (and the one I own, obviously) is this one:  

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-13086-PRO-JECT-DEBUT-CARBON/dp/B007XTE6YW/ref=pd_cp_e_0

It's $100 more, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, I'm listenin'

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-13086-PRO-JECT-DEBUT-CARBON/dp/B007XTE6YW/ref=pd_cp_e_0

It's $100 more, though.

But the why? Why is that worth so much more? Am I going to notice it?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, I'm listenin'

It's $100 more, though.

The Debut Carbon comes with a carbon fiber tonearm, an Ortofon 2m Red cartridge and has a heavier platter. Most of the difference is in the cartridge and stylus really. An Ortofon 5e cartridge and stylus is about $40, whereas the Ortofon 2m Red cartridge and stylus runs around $100.

Will you notice the difference? I dunno. I've never heard the Pro-Ject Debut III.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I have one of those Crosley combination CD/record/tape/stereo players and am happy with it.

I want to get one of those portable briefcase size models too.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ooooh, what have you got?  I'll be back in KC sometime in January for work.

OP:
I got a Technics SL-D1 on Craigslist for $75.  Works perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I have one of those Crosley combination CD/record/tape/stereo players and am happy with it.

View Quote
You're happy with it, because you haven't heard something better. Once you do, you'll hate it.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You're happy with it, because you haven't heard something better. Once you do, you'll hate it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So I've been hemming and hawing about getting into vinyl for some time now. However, I recently received some free records. So now I have to get a record player. The trouble is I don't know what to get.

I mean I don't want to get the Hesse of players and be unhappy. But maybe the $50-$75 players I see at the record store really are good enough. So my question of you is "If you were getting a record player for under $100, what would you get?".

Or alternatively "Retgarr, you idiot! You can't get a decent record player for under $100! Don't be so cheap, save up a few bucks and get this one."
View Quote

What kind of stereo do you have?

They make cheap-o USB TTs now, that might be the way to go if you have a stereo HT receiver that has USB inputs.

Honestly, if you have a regular stereo receiver/preamp, you'll need a phonostage to play back vinyl properly, if you don't have one built into your receiver/preamp to begin with.

$100 isn't a lot.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

They make cheap-o USB TTs now, that might be the way to go if you have a stereo HT receiver that has USB inputs.

Honestly, if you have a regular stereo receiver/preamp, you'll need a phonostage to play back vinyl properly, if you don't have one built into your receiver/preamp to begin with.

$100 isn't a lot.

Chris

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

$100 isn't a lot.

Chris

Yes they do, and they sound like dogshit. He should run, not walk, from such a suggestion.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't know much about the lower end stuff, but ALL the high end tables are belt drive. DD is for DJ's scratching records so they get back to speed quickly when you stop them with your hands.
View Quote

No, that's not true at all. DD, when executed correctly is more stable than belt drive. The Technics SL-1200 was originally designed as an audiophile table and was later adopted by DJ's for the reason you describe above. The reason you don't see many, if any DD tables from high end manufacturers is that they are boutique manufacturers that lack the production capability to produce the complex integrated circuits required to make such devices work at a price thats reasonable. Belts are much simpler to manufacture. It took a large corporation (Panasonic) to pull off the Technics brand. Guys like VPI and Project are miniscule in comparison.

That said I would look for a used table on craigslist. If you have to buy new the Project Debut Carbon is very nice. Those $100 turntables you see at the record stores are junk. Oh and do not forget the importance of cleaning your records. look up the wood glue method if you want to do it on the cheap. A dirty, scratched record will never sound good no matter how much you spend on your system.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yes they do, and they sound like dogshit. He should run, not walk, from such a suggestion.
View Quote

You're preaching to the choir here, but for $50-$75, with $100 being an arm and a leg, what's he to do?

We don't even know what stereo he has, either.  People tend to think that you just plug the tonearm leads into the AUX jack and start spinning records and well...as you know, that's not the case.

Personally, I'd suggest a nice Rega P3 type with a Musical Fidelity phono stage, but he'll be approaching a grand and well...if he has to ask...

Let him spend $100 on a USB TT, if it'll work in his system and see if he likes records.  He can always sell a kidney and get into better sound if that's his destiny, lol.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Do some digging and you'll likely find a used Technics SL-1200 variants in good shape.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks, just ordered one.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Do some digging and you'll likely find a used Technics SL-1200 variants in good shape.
View Quote

Looks like ~$350 and up and he'll still need a phono stage if he doesn't have one already in circuit, somewhere.

Ebay Technics 1200 TTs

Chris
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Technics SL-1200B
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The Debut Carbon comes with a carbon fiber tonearm, an Ortofon 2m Red cartridge and has a heavier platter. Most of the difference is in the cartridge and stylus really. An Ortofon 5e cartridge and stylus is about $40, whereas the Ortofon 2m Red cartridge and stylus runs around $100.    

Will you notice the difference? I dunno. I've never heard the Pro-Ject Debut III.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, I'm listenin'

It's $100 more, though.

I've got a Debut III and I love it. I haven't upgraded the cartridge yet, but it seems to do very well on the 180 g audiophile vinyl being produced now, and the lighter old school stuff is nice as well. I'm not running a tube amp like I'd like to, but it sounds nice on my Def Tech SuperTowers. I think the quality of turntable should be determined on what speakers you're using and what you use to power them. I paid $200 for my turntable NIB, and I would pay full retail if I had to do it again. Let us know what you decide.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, just ordered one.    
Does your receiver have a phono stage?

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
You're preaching to the choir here, but for $50-$75, with $100 being an arm and a leg, what's he to do?

We don't even know what stereo he has, either.  People tend to think that you just plug the tonearm leads into the AUX jack and start spinning records and well...as you know, that's not the case.

Personally, I'd suggest a nice Rega P3 type with a Musical Fidelity phono stage, but he'll be approaching a grand and well...if he has to ask...

Let him spend $100 on a USB TT, if it'll work in his system and see if he likes records.  He can always sell a kidney and get into better sound if that's his destiny, lol.

Chris

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

If I was working with a $100 budget, I'd pick up a used Technics of some sort. It's really hard to do it for $100 though. You'll almost certainly need a new stylus (I won't trust whatever's on a used one), and if you're buying used, you'll need to setup the turntable, which means buying a vertical tracking force scale, a test record for anti-skate adjustment, a cartridge alignment tool/gauge, an overhang gauge, etc, etc. And of course, if he doesn't already have a receiver with a phono stage, he'll need to pick up a phono preamp. And even the cheapest of these are ~$50 (If I was starting from scratch, I'd probably pick up an old receiver, personally).

But yeah, you can skip all of that and just get one of those USB turntables for $100 or less. Problem is, they really do sound like shit, they can't be setup properly, and it's a safe bet that he won't be able to play a lot of old records, because unless they're perfect, he'll never get the stylus to track right. There's really no upside. He'll get none of the benefits of listing to vinyl, but he'll get every single one of the drawbacks.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I recommend this one.

After you win Powerball.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#37]

I always chuckle at stuff like this. It likely exceeds the cost of the equipment that cut the fuckin' master record in the first place.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If I was working with a $100 budget, I'd pick up a used Technics of some sort. It's really hard to do it for $100 though. You'll almost certainly need a new stylus (I won't trust whatever's on a used one), and if you're buying used, you'll need to setup the turntable, which means buying a vertical tracking force scale, a test record for anti-skate adjustment, a cartridge alignment tool/gauge, an overhang gauge, etc, etc. And of course, if he doesn't already have a receiver with a phono stage, he'll need to pick up a phono preamp. And even the cheapest of these are ~$50 (If I was starting from scratch, I'd probably pick up an old receiver, personally).    

But yeah, you can skip all of that and just get one of those USB turntables for $100 or less. Problem is, they really do sound like shit, they can't be setup properly, and it's a safe bet that he won't be able to play a lot of old records, because unless they're perfect, he'll never get the stylus to track right. There's really no upside. He'll get none of the benefits of listing to vinyl, but he'll get every single one of the drawbacks.
View Quote

I get the Music Direct catalog and they have a lot of pimpy TT gear, if you look on their website.  They have that Project Debut III in a few colors, for $299 and the Project $99 phono stage, so while Project and Music Hall aren't my cup of tea, they are better solutions than a USB type dohicky.  At least the Debut III comes with an arm and stylus, however rudimentary they might be.

So for $400 sans shipping, you have something that you can plug into a receiver of any type and spin records, but the OP was looking in the $50-$75 range and not the $400 range.

MusicDirect.com analogue stuff

Chris
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I get the Music Direct catalog and they have a lot of pimpy TT gear, if you look on their website.  They have that Project Debut III in a few colors, for $299 and the Project $99 phono stage, so while Project and Music Hall aren't my cup of tea, they are better solutions than a USB type dohicky.  At least the Debut III comes with an arm and stylus, however rudimentary they might be.

So for $400 sans shipping, you have something that you can plug into a receiver of any type and spin records, but the OP was looking in the $50-$75 range and not the $400 range.

Chris

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chris

I'm trying to convince him to spend more than $100.

Unless somebody gives you a bunch of free shit, I just don't think you can get into it properly for $100 or less. There's just no point to even trying, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I still use the Technic's I have had since 1978.  finding needles is getting harder
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I still use the Technic's I have had since 1978.  finding needles is getting harder
View Quote

You can also replace the cartridge (and stylus) with something modern, and likely nicer than what yours came with.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I've got an old Thorens TD-145 that I'm still digging.........
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Funny you should post that TT.

I have a Kuzma Stabi with external power supply and the Kuzma Stogi Reference arm.  That table has been discontinued, but it's solid oak and quite nice sounding, if not an example of 'beach house chic,' as I call its aesthetic.  It was placed under the Reference and XL Reference Stabi tables, but the Stogi Reference arm is up there with the better tonearms.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Wish I still had

http://www.audioscope.net/images/acoustic_research_ar_the_turntable-3.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wish I still had

http://www.audioscope.net/images/acoustic_research_ar_the_turntable-3.jpg
The ES-1 is an excellent table, I love mine...

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:16:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Oh..

That kind of vinyl.

I was afraid to see pics of Subnet and others wearing vinyl.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks awesome Chris.  

There was method to my madness. Arthur Salvatore lists that as the top turntable available.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#47]
I listen to my vintage records on a vintage TT through a vintage receiver and speakers. My TT is a Pioneer PL-400. I have it mainly for nostalgic reasons, there are many better models. Find something you can audition in yor price range. You can always upgrade later.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#48]
I had one of these growing up, sound quality is not great though.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#49]
This is what I currently use.  I think I got mine for $199 shipped so look around.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable-USB-Analog-/291014968073?pt=US_Record_Players_Home_Turntables&hash=item43c1d80309
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

$100 isn't a lot.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$100 isn't a lot.

Chris

The stereo is an old Marantz 2230 and a Realistic brand equalizer that I don't know the model of. Made to accommodate a turntable. The stereo setup is not a concern. And looking at the turntables that tout USB does not inspire confidence.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top