Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/9/2013 9:27:32 AM EDT
I live in Dallas, and my power went out around 5 am Friday morning and came back on around 8 PM Sunday night.  I had finally bought a generator earlier in the year anticipating an event like this.  Our power goes out often, but rarely for days at a time.  My generator was one I bought at Harbor Freight for $279.00  It is the 3200w 4000w peak generator.  Link So heres some random thoughts and stuff I learned.

1)  3200 watts is about enough to stay comfortable, but not enough for everything.  The dishes piled up (Yeah i know i could have washed them by hand) and so did the laundry.  It wouldn't come close to running the central AC in the summer.  I ran central heat (gas), fridge, 60" plasma tv, receiver, a few lamps, ipad, laptop, and iphone chargers.  Even with all that, had enough left over to run an extension cord to the neighbors so they could plug in a small space heater.  I had kill-a-watts on every extension end so I knew exactly how much power I was using, and how much I had in reserve.

2)  3 gas cans isn't enough.  I was about 50 - 90% capacity on my generator, and burned a total of 25 gallons of gas in those 60 hours.  Which means I had to leave the house once to get more gas.  And those stupid post-ban gas filler/spouts are infuriating.  I will fix both these issues.

3)  Keeping the generator fed with gas was kind of like feeding a baby.  Setting my alarm every 8 hours to go outside in the frigid cold to refill it made me lose sleep.

4)  A transfer panel would be really really nice to have instead of stringing 500 extension cables and power strips everywhere

5)  A natural gas conversion is also something I will heavily consider.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#1]
We got really lucky here with the amount of ice we got. Didn't loose power.

Considering buying another generator to supplement the other general we have.

13 days without power in 2009. Was enough for me to value one heavily.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a similar experience a few years back.  

Subsequent to that incident, I purchased a NG 20kw Generac.  Comes with the auto transfer stuff.  I couldn't begin to install myself, thank god I had a buddy that was fluent in that language

It is a great investment.  Set it and forget it type of installation.  I would highly recommend one to anyone in The market.

ETA: I considered this purchase to be an investment.   I realize it isn't making me any money, but it makes up that shortcoming with peace of mind.  Anyone who is prone to outages should really look into one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought this was going to be a binge drinking lulz thread

Id say you are more prepared than most and that is exactly what to expect with the setup you have.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Subsequent to that incident, I purchased a NG 20kw Generac.  Comes with the auto transfer stuff.  I couldn't begin to install myself, thank god I had a buddy that was fluent in that language

It is a great investment.  Set it and forget it type of installation.  I would highly recommend one to anyone in The market.
View Quote

Did similar after losing power at least once a month for 5 months.   After it was installed...have only lost power once for 3 hours since.   The power company loves to taunt me...
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Relying on Natural Gas to keep flowing in the event of a major power outage seems like a bad idea to me...

At least you can keep some amount of gasoline stocked.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
How much of an electrical load can a generator of that size handle?

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I just bought that same generator recently.  Glad to hear you had a good experience with it.

So Question:  Why did you run it 24/7?  In my plans I'm thinking I'd shut it off when sleeping or not needing to cool the fridge, etc...  yeah, the house might get a bit cool.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did similar after losing power at least once a month for 5 months.   After it was installed...have only lost power once for 3 hours since.   The power company loves to taunt me...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.  It seems to not go off as often, but stays off for longer.  I have mine set to where it will come on if the power stays off for more than 20 seconds.  It is absolutely seamless when it automatically goes  back on the grid.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#9]
There are bi-fuel models that run on both gas and propane.  You can use a BBQ tank and don't have to worry about stale gas varnishing up the carburetor.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I went through a similar experience in the summer, but it was only for 24 hours. I bought a window A/C unit and keep it ready to go. I am also going with a propane conversion because my house is on propane and I would have all the fuel I need. Gas is okay for a day but I would not want to go any longer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Relying on Natural Gas to keep flowing in the event of a major power outage seems like a bad idea to me...

View Quote

Tri fuel kits are readily available.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can run everything in my house.  Central Air conditioning, heat, oven, anything.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Get more gas cans.   Get a siphon hose so you don't have to pour the gas out of the cans.  

Glad to hear you made it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just bought that same generator recently.  Glad to hear you had a good experience with it.

So Question:  Why did you run it 24/7?  In my plans I'm thinking I'd shut it off when sleeping or not needing to cool the fridge, etc...  yeah, the house might get a bit cool.

View Quote

I ran it 24/7 to keep the house warm and the fridge cold.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

They had NG during and after Katrina. I haven't heard of NG going down during power outages. They can manually open the valves and keep the gas flowing.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In red: That much.

You can run your house off that, as long as you're not a retard about it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Went thru it last year with hurricane Sandy, gas was hard to come by. Look at Motor Snorkel, they make tri fuel conversion kits.
I think propane would be easier to get, they have those Blue Rhino tanks everywhere.

I'm getting my panel wired up, extension cords all over doesn't cut it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#18]
You could have wired it to your breaker panel or you could have also rigged up an extension cord with 2 male ends, run it from your generator to a wall outlet. Everything on that circuit will be hot.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Ran gennys for 12 days in 2011 after flood.  They shut the NG down so I was glad to have gas powered.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#20]
HC, I know you're on govliq (or were).   Look into a mep-002a.   They're 5kW rated, but they're really capable of more like 7500W or 8kW.

They're not exactly portable, but they fit on a 101 trailer perfectly.

What's really cool about them is they've got an internal transfer pump so if the fuel tank runs below a certain level, it activates a float switch and transfers fuel from the outside source.   I think.   Have to ask keith about it as he's got more practical experience with his.

Mine is still sitting under the tree I used to lift it off the trailer a few years ago.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#21]
My solution was a big generator to run the whole place, and a small generator to run some conveniences.

I wound up putting more time on the little generator than the big one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I finally ordered a new carb and a tri fuel kit for my gen/welder.  My power has been out 5 times in the last 30 days.  The longest stretch was 6 hours.  The issue is that lows around here regularly get to -30.  It is already going down to -12 here with highs in the single digits.

It has not been a priority for the wife, so I bought the parts to fix my spare jeep but will not get it running till spring.

Mine is a 5500 surge 4300 cont.  It should be enough to keep the refers cold and the house warm.

I am going to install a welding 240v 50amp outlet into the garage.  I will backfeed my electrical through that without the cost of the transfer switch.  If you do this BE SURE TO DISCONNECT YOUR MAIN BREAKER!!!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#23]
An emergency generator is like trying to replace a 3 inch water main with a garden hose, it's not the same as getting your power from the main line.

I always think of it like Scottie on the Enterprise, we can make hot coffee in the coffee maker but we have to divert power from the TV set for 10 mins so we don't overload the genny.

Gas generators will make you appreciate your utility company, it costs a lot of money to make your own electric for any extended period of time.

A transfer switch is key, most of the time except for the hum of the genny you wouldn't know you were on emergency power at my place, all overhead lights run, you can watch TV and take a hot shower. To me this makes it worth the effort and cost.

Emergency generators are great to have but they do require some effort to use, however that effort beats the hell out of sitting in the dark being cold...

There's my 2 cents

Thurman
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can run your house off that, as long as you're not a retard about it.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
An emergency generator is like trying to replace a 3 inch water main with a garden hose, it's not the same as getting your power from the main line.

I always think of it like Scottie on the Enterprise, we can make hot coffee in the coffee maker but we have to divert power from the TV set for 10 mins so we don't overload the genny.

Gas generators will make you appreciate your utility company, it costs a lot of money to make your own electric for any extended period of time.

A transfer switch is key, most of the time except for the hum of the genny you wouldn't know you were on emergency power at my place, all overhead lights run, you can watch TV and take a hot shower. To me this makes it worth the effort and cost.

Emergency generators are great to have but they do require some effort to use, however that effort beats the hell out of sitting in the dark being cold...

There's my 2 cents

Thurman
View Quote

The truth is, most of us are INCREDIBLY inefficient with our power usage.   Nothing teaches power conservation like high prices or scarcity (or both).

Yes, the utilities do a damn good job.   Last two co-op bills were a couple of hundred dollar CREDITS.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Well put, and remember to maintain the generator, good gas, stable and start them periodically.
Quoted:

There's my 2 cents

Thurman
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You could have wired it to your breaker panel or you could have also rigged up an extension cord with 2 male ends, run it from your generator to a wall outlet. Everything on that circuit will be hot.
View Quote

I knew someone would bring up the suicide cord (extension cord with two male ends). FYI - DO NOT do that. It is dangerous for you and the workers repairing the power. It is not that hard or expensive to install a proper transfer switch.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I went a week without power after hurricane Rita.

I just started waking around naked and bathing in the swimming pool.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
HC, I know you're on govliq (or were).   Look into a mep-002a.   They're 5kW rated, but they're really capable of more like 7500W or 8kW.

What's really cool about them is they've got an internal transfer pump so if the fuel tank runs below a certain level, it activates a float switch and transfers fuel from the outside source.   I think.   Have to ask keith about it as he's got more practical experience with his.

Mine is still sitting under the tree I used to lift it off the trailer a few years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Found this on SS:

What is the fuel consumption?

Generally, it is 0.5 gal/hr for the -002A and 1.0 gal/hr for the -003A. YMMV

That's something I have to weigh, and it's actually a pretty important part of the equation.  Fuel consumption.  In a TRUE shtf scenario, trying to get gas for something that hungry would be impossible.  I don't know how to balance both convenience of having power for everything, and availability of fuel.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#30]
You might want to consider a ventless fireplace.  It doesn't need electric.  It runs off of NG or Propane.  This would allow you to shut off the generator and not freeze.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:03:32 AM EDT
[#31]
We are lucky. We only lost power for 12 hours and we slept through most of it. My co-worker lost power thursday night and it has yet to be turned back on.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Get a transfer box that will run all your stuff.  a generator in these kind of situations is like gold.  be careful where you put it and secure it with a chain if you can. there can/will be people that will attempt to "borrow"  it.

buy a lot of gas. most gas stations can not run the pumps with out power. so even if they have fuel, you can't get it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Same here.

Made it thru. House didn't freeze.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Western NY here...

We had no power for 4-5 days during the last major ice storm. Ran a coleman powermate 5000 which performed very well but was LOUD.

Ran the generator from 5am to 11pm every day.

Ran entire house 110v with no trips, includes furnace, freezer, fridge, tv, lights, cofee maker.

Ran extension cord to nieghbor to power (one at a time) sump pump, space heater, small TV.

Invited neigboors over often for TV time, Tea time, warmup time, you name it.

Used about 8 gallons of gas per day.

There was a lot of crazy during that time, folks dying from CO poisoning (generators indoors, charcoal grills indoors), generators being stolen, people paying 3-4x $$ for generators and not knowing how to run them. I stopped at the local small engine repair place to get some 2-cycle for my chainsaw and he had a brand new Kohler gen that someone destroyed trying to run it without oil.

I hope I am not around if something truly bad happens. The crazy will be epic.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#35]
We generally lose power during cold winter months.

I make sure I keep a supply of paper plates, bowls, etc. on hand to keep the dirty dish problem at bay.  

I would also make sure you have a solid chain and lock to lock up your generator.  They have a habit of walking off at night.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They had NG during and after Katrina. I haven't heard of NG going down during power outages. They can manually open the valves and keep the gas flowing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This And compressor stations are powered by....natural gas powered generators, during an emergency. It takes a massive natural disaster type event to stop natural gas.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

ETA: I considered this purchase to be an investment.   I realize it isn't making me any money, but it makes up that shortcoming with peace of mind.  Anyone who is prone to outages should really look into one.
View Quote

What's the cost on something like that?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
3)  Keeping the generator fed with gas was kind of like feeding a baby.  Setting my alarm every 8 hours to go outside in the frigid cold to refill it made me lose sleep.
View Quote

first world problems
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#39]
4 on 4 off is what most recommend to conserve fuel with  generators. For backup heat a kerosene heater is king if you don't already have a gas fireplace, actually a kerosene heater is still nice to have for backup as you can heat the garage with it in the winter to work on vehicles.

Also I'm sure most know but the bigger the generator the more fuel it needs, my 3000 watt generator only uses a gallon every 3-4 hours.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have said "that's why I live in CA" but overnight temps in San Francisco hit 36F.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#41]
This year I finally bought a generator, stored extra fuel, installed a 12v backup power system for emergency LED lights, purchased a 40 gallon propane tank w heater, stored extra propane for a 'buddy heater', stacked firewood close to the back door...

Still haven't lost power.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#42]
I always enjoy these threads. They help me think of some prep stuff I may not have thought of for my house. I need a generator badly, but keep having other expenses arise that consume my discretionary $$ (dishwasher recently needed replacing, ceiling fan died, etc.). The biggest problem with my current home is that if we lose power we also lose running water (we are on a well). That translates to no showers, no drinking water (other than the 20 gallons I have stored), and worse of all, no flushing toilets. And if the power were to go out in the summer no electricity means no refrigerator to keep food stuff cold. We have a natural gas furnace, but also a wood burning stove. So in the cold months a power outage wouldn't greatly affect our ability to heat the home. And in the cold months we can just put food from the refrigerator in the garage (insulated, but not heated), or in the snow to keep it from spoiling.

I've contemplated installing a manual pump for our well, but unfortunately our well access port is located right in our front yard. So a standing manual pump there would look horrible. I'm hoping to get a good tax return this year to buy a new stove/range for the wife, and maybe a generator for me. I think the OPs idea of a transfer station is a sound one. I too wouldn't want extension cords running everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This And compressor stations are powered by....natural gas powered generators, during an emergency. It takes a massive natural disaster type event to stop natural gas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or flooding
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Cool thread. I bought a 5600kv Generac last year in anticipation of a widespread power outage. Still need to get a transfer switch. Gas consumption is a concern.

Can you guys tell me about the tri fuel convertors?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Cool thread. I bought a 5600kv Generac last year in anticipation of a widespread power outage. Still need to get a transfer switch. Gas consumption is a concern.

Can you guys tell me about the tri fuel convertors?
View Quote

We can tri.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Found this on SS:

That's something I have to weigh, and it's actually a pretty important part of the equation.  Fuel consumption.  In a TRUE shtf scenario, trying to get gas for something that hungry would be impossible.  I don't know how to balance both convenience of having power for everything, and availability of fuel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Found this on SS:

What is the fuel consumption?

Generally, it is 0.5 gal/hr for the -002A and 1.0 gal/hr for the -003A. YMMV

That is why I went with tri-fuel and an inverter generator; I like having options.  We are on propane here and have a 500 gallon tank so I set up a QD system to run it from the manifold feeding our appliances.  Power was out all day Saturday and it was 14 F at our place.  It took be about 5 minutes to hook up and get the generator running, including laying out the extension cords.  We ran the fridge, PC, fan blower for the propane heat stove and a couple of lights.  We are on a "keep full" propane plan for the winter months and will generally always have propane even if using a larger generator.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I knew someone would bring up the suicide cord (extension cord with two male ends). FYI - DO NOT do that. It is dangerous for you and the workers repairing the power. It is not that hard or expensive to install a proper transfer switch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even easier and cheaper  to instal a interlock kit, I wired a plug out side that I plug into that goes to a breaker in the panel that cant' be thrown without throwing the main and vice versa. IIRC it was $29.95 online.
I'll get a round to the trifuel kit some time aslo. We looked at the 8-10KW auto setups but to us it was over kill , our little 3.5kw runs enough for the wife and I to be quite comfortable plus it sips fuel. Also on the list is one of the NG Buddy heater units for down stairs .
Did use it last year for 3 days  went through around 10gal, afterwards bought the folks one for Christmas
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC most of the pumping stations and switching apparatus on NG is run by the gas flowing in the lines, so it's essentially self-powered.  Somebody in the industry can correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In 2011, in Texas, February Freeze.  Many nat gas pumping stations (compressors) went down due to freezing temps.  It happens.

TXL
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top