Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 12/8/2013 6:54:02 PM EDT
Just a simple yes/no question.

is a cause ever worthy enough to exclusively target non-combatants such as women and children in order to achieve a military or political (revolutionary) goal?

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

is a cause ever worthy enough to exclusively target non-combatants such as women and children in order to achieve a military or political (revolutionary) goal?

View Quote

Not if you want to "win the hearts and minds."
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes you have to kill everybody.

Japan....
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#3]
What constitutes a child?

Ever seen the 10 year olds in the Congo carrying AKs?  Also, why do you hate equal rights?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Intentionally shooting women and children is okay. They have to be combatants though.

Killing innocent women and children is okay as collateral damage, provided you're making an effort to go after combatants while minimizing that collateral damage. Not eliminating it, just minimizing it.

Otherwise, no.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Carpet bombing was goog enough for grandpa so........
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Secret mandella thread?   Awesome.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What constitutes a child?

Ever seen the 10 year olds in the Congo carrying AKs?  Also, why do you hate equal rights?
View Quote

You didn't read OPs post did you?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

This.  We did it in WWII, so unless I'm willing to condemn Curtis LeMay and the USAAC then I'm going to say "yes".

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Short answer "no" with an "if."  Long answer "yes" with a "but."

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes/No doesn't always fit.

Do you even LOAC, bro?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are women and children more or less valuable than non-child males?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Intentionally shooting women and children is okay. They have to be combatants though.

Killing innocent women and children is okay as collateral damage, provided you're making an effort to go after combatants while minimizing that collateral damage. Not eliminating it, just minimizing it.

Otherwise, no.
View Quote

This. Sometimes, collateral damage happens.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Japan....
View Quote

They were collateral damage...

There were legitimate military targets.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

So, will you have a follow-on post or is this really a simple yes or no?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#15]
"Ever?"

Yes. Borne out by history to be true.

ETA: someone just pointed out the "exclusively" language of your question. Answer is no unless it is only women and children engaging in combat.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Japan....
View Quote

Not quite, but as Curtis LeMay said, "If you kill enough of them, they'll give up."
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#17]
War is heck.        

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Does that include 13er women and children?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#19]
it appears that if we're talking about bombing, yes.

but real combat? apparently not.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly.

I have 2 people telling me the ANC's methods are completely justified (Necklaces and all) because the apartheid government was just that evil.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Japan....
View Quote

He said "exclusively target" women and children.

We have never done that.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Targeting? No. Not ever.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Exactly.

I have 2 people telling me the ANC's methods are completely justified (Necklaces and all) because the apartheid government was just that evil.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

I'm not surprised that ARFCOM (a very hypocritical place), is voting so high for "yes".
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#24]
It depends on how you view total war. Eg, when is firebombing or nuking a city ethical, moral, or just plain justified? Sometimes yes, sometimes no? What if that is your only option to inflict damage on the enemy? Hard questions I'm glad I don't have to answer.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#26]
The problem with saying 'no' to this question is that it rules out leveling an entire area that has military targets in it.

Blowing a whole city to hell because the place is chock-full of military targets is Kosher.

Using LGB's to specifically target elementary schools and day cares is not. (Unless people are launching, say, missiles off the roofs...)
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't have a problem with Total War.  I do have a problem with specifically targeting women and children who are not combatants and are not supporting the enemy war effort.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It depends on how you view total war. Eg, when is firebombing or nuking a city ethical, moral, or just plain justified? Sometimes yes, sometimes no? What if that is your only option to inflict damage on the enemy? Hard questions I'm glad I don't have to answer.

I don't have a problem with Total War.  I do have a problem with specifically targeting women and children who are not combatants and are not supporting the enemy war effort.

What about men who are not combatants and not supporting a war effort?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

We have never done that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Japan....

We have never done that.

Neither did Mandela and the ANC....

ETA:  Heck, even Al-Qaeda hasn't exclusively targeted women and children over men.  Now they don't really mind if they kill a whole bunch of innocents but they want to kill everyone, not just women and children.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Exactly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

So they are okaying FO time?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#30]
So I guess you guys think 9/11 was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Specifically target them?  No...

...go ahead and bomb the fuck out of a city for strategic purposes even though you know there is going to be collateral damage?  Sure.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#34]
You just don't lead them as much .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Historically, Military aged men don't get a free pass.  They should be fighting, either against their army or with them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Historically, Military aged men don't get a free pass.  They should be fighting, either against their army or with them.

Ok. What if they aren't military age?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Children no. Unless they are a direct threat to you such as the ten year olds with AK's.
I'd call that self defense not targeting.

In my opinion, unless the child is a combatant trying to kill you it is never OK to target or kill children.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

This.  We did it in WWII, so unless I'm willing to condemn Curtis LeMay and the USAAC then I'm going to say "yes".

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The technology of WWII wasn't capable of 1 meter accuracy like today's JDAMs and laser guided bombs. Even using the H2S/H2X ground mapping radar, bombers were lucky to get their inaccurate free fall bombs within 2 blocks of a target.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Only when faced with extirpation
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Specifically target them?  No...

...go ahead and bomb the fuck out of a city for strategic purposes even though you know there is going to be collateral damage?  Sure.
View Quote

That's different.

Collateral damage is a different story.

You wouldn't bomb the city because there is kids in it, you'd bomb in spite of that sad fact.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Japan....
View Quote

that bomb killed a lot less people than the planned allied invasion would have
Eta those bombs but you know what I mean
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#41]
There is a difference is deliberately targeting children for an attack (Sandy Hook), and launching an attack in which children will undoubtedly be killed (The Blitz, Hiroshima, etc...)
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Depends if you win and get to write the history books.....
No
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

The technology of WWII wasn't capable of 1 meter accuracy like today's JDAMs and laser guided bombs. Even using the H2S/H2X ground mapping radar, bombers were lucky to get their inaccurate free fall bombs within 2 blocks of a target.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still doesn't change the fact that our bombing strategy allowed for the killing of women and children.

Now, as LARRYG pointed out we didn't target them exclusively over MAMs.  But we accepted it as an unavoidable cost of winning the war.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't really see a difference between non combatant males and non combatant females.

The trick is figuring out if they are truly non combatants..
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#46]

... exclusively target non-combatants ...
View Quote

That's pretty much the definition of the counter value strategy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countervalue

ETA: International law is somewhat vague where countervalue ends and "proportional collateral damage" begins for nukes, but in general, civilian targeting is criminal.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#47]
It is if you're one of the nut jobs on here that plays make believe thinking that if gun confiscation ever happens it makes targeting police and militarily families a viable strategy.
But if you're sane and rational, no.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Note, OP said targeting of women and kids as a strategy.  NOT as collateral damage of a strategy.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, OP said simple yes or no.  I knew it wasn't true.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
No.  All targets must have a military or direct political nature, in my view, and must be as focused in their execution as possible.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top