Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/8/2013 10:35:29 AM EDT
We have used cloth diapers since day 1 and I have about $200 invested in them, I got 20 of them off ebay for about 10 bucks each.

We use well water and I have to physically take our trash to the landfill, so no water bill, and I pay by the ton to throw away garbage.

Today I ran the numbers using the cheapest possible diapers I could find, they work out to about 14 cents each from walmart. The name brand ones run as high as 25 cents each.

A conservative average would be 7 diapers in one 24 hour period, but is often more, as a newborn it may have been 10 or more. Using the store brand cheap disposables that would be about 2,555 diapers at the cost of $357 plus whatever additional cost it would be to throw away the extra trash.

The cloth diapers require washing every other day, so 182 additional loads of laundry. We buy detergent in bulk and can do 200 loads from $14 worth.

I came out $143 ahead in the first year and all 20 diapers are still perfectly fine, they should last through this year also, then hopefully she will be potty trained by year 3. They will probably see action for kid number 2 as well.

$143 isn't much money, but every little bit helps.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Electricity cost to run your washer and dryer?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That is something I couldn't figure out, but I just offset it by saving fuel going to the landfill and to the store.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Plus time away from other duties to man the extra washing.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Better have another baby you've stumbled into a gold mine
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Factor in your time spent washing and drying.

Not saying you didn't come out ahead, but your time is worth something.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not like you have to sit there and watch the rinse cycle.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#7]
yeah, but you had a house filled with shit-filled diapers that you had to wash.

automatic lose

and is your time worth nothing?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Ten dollars each for cloth diapers?????!!!!!!

Shit (pun intended)

I have been using left-over cloth diapers for gun cleaning rags!

By your information... $300.00 worth of gun rags!!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ten dollars each for cloth diapers?????!!!!!!

Shit (pun intended)

I have been using left-over cloth diapers for gun cleaning rags!

By your information... $300.00 worth of gun rags!!!
View Quote

Not the old school ones, the newfangled waterproof ones with inserts and button snaps.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#10]
You should learn to use the potty
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
yeah, but you had a house filled with shit-filled diapers that you had to wash.

automatic lose

and is your time worth nothing?
View Quote

During work hours yes, at night at home it cuts about 10 minutes every other day out of my arfcom time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#13]
For $20 you can make enough laundry detergent to last two years.

That would offset all your laundry utility costs.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should learn to use the potty

I have an irrational fear of snakes coming up and biting me.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Great

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Nope.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll pay the extra $140-whatever to keep from washing shit out of diapers for a year.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do go on......
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Neither of us wanted to spend any more time than absolutely necessary around poop.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#20]
How do you get the "solids" out of the diapers before the washer and what do you do with them?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How do you get the "solids" out of the diapers before the washer and what do you do with them?
View Quote

It's called recycling
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sprayer on the toilet.

I also use it to spray my wife when she is taking too long in the bathroom.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Not worth that small amount of money vs the extra work involved with cloth diapers. I won't even get into the fact that you now have shit and piss in your washing machine. If that's worth $143 just pay me a flat rate of $100 and I'll come take a dump in your washing machine and save you the time.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Also, even though this isn't the forum to care about such things, it keeps all that extra trash out of the landfill. Ours is getting full fast, I bet the amount of diapers in there is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Kids go through seven diapers a day? Damn.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's called recycling
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's called recycling

compost heap?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not worth that small amount of money vs the extra work involved with cloth diapers. I won't even get into the fact that you now have shit and piss in your washing machine. If that's worth $143 just pay me a flat rate of $100 and I'll come take a dump in your washing machine and save you the time.
View Quote

Spray the shitty ones out in the toilet, the urine washes right out. A splash of bleach in with them and in over a year I haven't smelled any difference in the machine.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Do go on......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do go on......

Yes, please do...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol this.

I cant stand taking the dirty diaper bag to the garbage can, im sure as fuck not pre rinsing shit before it goes to the washer...
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#30]
minus the poop lacquering to your clothing washing machine
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#31]
We use the Flip 4.0 diapers.  They have been great for our little girl but we use disposable inserts at night cause they are much more absorbent.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes, please do...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do go on......

Yes, please do...

google the duggars and their detergent.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Kids go through seven diapers a day? Damn.
View Quote

You have to change a newborn like every hour or two, it just flows out of them.

We usually change the kid every few hours and she is almost always wet in that time period. Shitty pants you can typically smell shortly after it happens, so you take care of it fast.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#34]
No way is that worth it to me, but thanks for posting so I know I'm not just throwing money away.  I'll gladly pay $140/yr to not have to deal with cloth diapers.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#35]
$12/ month?  That's sure as hell not enough to get my wife or myself to clean shit out of our baby's diapers.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
We have used cloth diapers since day 1 and I have about $200 invested in them, I got 20 of them off ebay for about 10 bucks each.

We use well water and I have to physically take our trash to the landfill, so no water bill, and I pay by the ton to throw away garbage.

Today I ran the numbers using the cheapest possible diapers I could find, they work out to about 14 cents each from walmart. The name brand ones run as high as 25 cents each.

A conservative average would be 7 diapers in one 24 hour period, but is often more, as a newborn it may have been 10 or more. Using the store brand cheap disposables that would be about 2,555 diapers at the cost of $357 plus whatever additional cost it would be to throw away the extra trash.

The cloth diapers require washing every other day, so 182 additional loads of laundry. We buy detergent in bulk and can do 200 loads from $14 worth.

I came out $143 ahead in the first year and all 20 diapers are still perfectly fine, they should last through this year also, then hopefully she will be potty trained by year 3. They will probably see action for kid number 2 as well.

View Quote

from one CD dad to another. Cheers.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Lots of guys afraid of a little poop on this forum.

Never mucked stalls or trained a dog I assume?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#38]
oh yea here's some deals on diapers, never pay retail. Also dont forget Amazon Prime...

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

$10 each?   When we bought them, decades ago, they were $10 per dozen.  

Guess they're not so popular any more.

Disposables, the FSA toss them everywhere.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
minus the poop lacquering to your clothing washing machine
View Quote

doesn't happen if you have a decent washer.

I bought the wife an LG and it hasa cleaning cycle that we run once a month. There's a filter at the bottom also. Never had anything in the filter, been 2 years now.

Pre-rinse the dipes and you are GTG. Most of the time the poop rolls out no prob.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That is something I couldn't figure out, but I just offset it by saving fuel going to the landfill and to the store.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A five gallon bucket, a power drill and concrete mixer will go a long way.

Keep you cleaning solution in the bucket and drop the diapers in.  Every night after the baby goes down I agitate the bucket, dump it out refill and agitate again.  A quick rinse and about ten minutes later they are hanging up waiting for tomorrow.  We made our own diapers in lieu of buying them.  In the summer we sun bleached them.

I want to know more about this homemade detergent.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No way is that worth it to me, but thanks for posting so I know I'm not just throwing money away.  I'll gladly pay $140/yr to not have to deal with cloth diapers baby shit.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Going to eta
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going to eta

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Hell with that.  I have a 1 month old as we speak and I will pay for some damn Pampers before I am physically removing blown out shit from infant diapers.  

If its all about the money, I'll just work a few hours of OT a month or something to keep us in premium diapers.  

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Sounds like the OP should have built an outhouse or something.  Better yet, moved to civilization.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So, are you going to extend this logic to not buying toilet paper for anyone in the house, and just using cloth that you can re-wash?

Seems like the exact same logic.  Why is adult poop any different from baby poop?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of guys afraid of a little poop on this forum.

Never mucked stalls or trained a dog I assume?

So, are you going to extend this logic to not buying toilet paper for anyone in the house, and just using cloth that you can re-wash?

Seems like the exact same logic.  Why is adult poop any different from baby poop?

As long as the kid is breast feeding it is barely even poop. Then after that it is still a totally different animal, volume alone is a fraction of it, and it cleans off easy, provided the kid has a good diet.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Well I'm on kid #1 and will be cloth diapering. It has several benefits aside from cost like being able to potty train sooner because it helps kids know learn that their are soiled and it sucks so they will want to use the real potty sooner. Also CD nearly eliminates diaper rash.

I am just concern when shit hits the fan in what is called "a blowout".
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#49]
4 bars of Fells Naptha soap
1 box of Borax
1 box of Arm and Hammer WASHING Soda ( not baking soda)

(These are enough ingredients to make 40 gallons of laundry soap)

Grate 1/2 a bar of the soap and dissolve in hot water on the stove.(Don't boil it. It makes a mess)
Add 1/2 cup of each of the powders and dissolve them as well.
Slowly mix this concoction into a bucket of hot tap water to make 5 gallons.
Allow to cool stirring occasionally.

Use like you would normal liquid laundry detergent. It does tend to separate over time so a quick stir or shake to mix things up before using.

It is low suddsing so don't think you need to add extra due to lack of bubbles. Can be used in the new fancy front loaders.

It has no scent. Clothes don't come out smelling "mountain fresh". They just smell... Clean.

I keep mine in a five gallon water jug that has a spigot.

The first time I made this my wife was very skeptical and annoyed. Thought I was just being cheap and controlling.
She doesn't like me interfering with housework

The first load we washed was a pile of wet towels that had been at the bottom of the hamper. They came out smelling like nothing.

A lot of detergents, make me itch. This stuff doesn't bother me at all

ETA: add bleach to stuff you normally would, and oxyclean to stuff you would add non chlorine bleach.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Lol this.

I cant stand taking the dirty diaper bag to the garbage can, im sure as fuck not pre rinsing shit before it goes to the washer...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol this.

This!

My son wear size 4 diapers @ 14 mos, I get him I get him the Sam's Club pack 200, for $35.
Smelling and/or dealing with poopy diapers sucks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top