Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2013 8:50:15 AM EDT
As the title says, a friend of mine is selling his CVA Apex muzzleloader .50 cal (I think it's the black stock, and has the stainless Bergara barrel) . It's only like a year or two old, is in excellent condition, and comes with all the stuff it came with. He's selling it because he's in love with some new hammerless muzzleloader. The BIL has a CVA Wolf, and it was cheap, feels kinda cheap, but damn is it accurate (have shot it at 250 yards... I am impressed). The Apex feels much nicer. Just so happens I am in the market for a smoke pole...

So he's asking $275 for it. It sounds like a really good deal to me. What do you all think about the gun and the price?

I x-posted this from the muzzleloader forum because I haven't gotten responses there, and I kinda need to make up my mind on this, as he's motivated to sell it.  Hope the mod's don't nuke me from orbit!  

Update:  Well the cheap side of me wanted to haggle on the price, but the reasonable guy in me knew this was a very fair deal... So I bought it!  This thing is mint.  He took care of it, it's like new!

The Leopold scope didn't come with it, but he's letting me borrow it for the rest of the season and even gave me some of the loads he was using so I know it's zeroed at 100 yds, which is awesome.  (Next year it will be topped with some Nikon glass).
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Afternoon bump... arfcom not know about smoke poles??
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Never shot one..   Cannot say either way.    Needs more frizzen
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never shot one..   Cannot say either way.    Needs more frizzen
View Quote

Are you suggesting a flint lock?  Nah I'm good!  
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#4]
One last bump for the weekday crew...
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, it has a $650 MSRP.  

Multi caliber capable from what I am reading.  Interchangeable barrels and all that.  

CVA is a good company.  I have always had great customer service from them.  For example, when I bought my Buckhorn from them it had a broken spring (open bolt design, spring behind bolt also captures charging handle - so my charging handle kept falling out).  They replaced it same day air - no questions asked and for free.

Also, considering that a lot of the other break actions these days are in the $250 to $300 range (Wolf, Optima, Impact, etc.) I would consider this a good deal.

Buy it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Multi caliber capable from what I am reading.  Interchangeable barrels and all that.  

CVA is a good company.  I have always had great customer service from them.  For example, when I bought my Buckhorn from them it had a broken spring (open bolt design, spring behind bolt also captures charging handle - so my charging handle kept falling out).  They replaced it same day air - no questions asked and for free.

Also, considering that a lot of the other break actions these days are in the $250 to $300 range (Wolf, Optima, Impact, etc.) I would consider this a good deal.

Buy it.
View Quote

I have been considering an Optima V2, but seeing as I can get this Apex for LESS than a new stainless Optima, it certainly seems like a good deal.  I'll think I'll get it.

The interchangable barrels are cool, but they are expensive (around 250 IIRC).  I'll probably just use it as a muzzleloader.

Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have been considering an Optima V2, but seeing as I can get this Apex for LESS than a new stainless Optima, it certainly seems like a good deal.  I'll think I'll get it.

The interchangable barrels are cool, but they are expensive (around 250 IIRC).  I'll probably just use it as a muzzleloader.

Thanks for the input!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy it.

Thanks for the input!

No problem.  I am looking at purchasing a new muzzleloader, so I have been in the market.  Also have experience with them.  First hunting piece was a T/C Hawken kit rifle, cap and ball.  Moved up to the Buckhorn and now I want to try a break action.  That is a good deal, and frankly, makes me kind of jealous.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Is that the stainless version?

I believe my grandpa has the same one, and it is much nicer than mine.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:36:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is that the stainless version?

I believe my grandpa has the same one, and it is much nicer than mine.
View Quote

It is stainless, I believe that's the only way they come.  I don't recall if the stock was camo or not (doesn't matter to me) but I think it is.

I'll post pics when I pick it up
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't be wasting time with pictures when you should be paying the guy.

Post pictures after you get it home.

That is a great buy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Shit I just bought a watch I didn't need you may as well buy a smokepole you may not need too. GD is not the place to try to get talked out of a purchase for man type things
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't be wasting time with pictures when you should be paying the guy.

Post pictures after you get it home.

That is a great buy.
View Quote

Fear not, the deal is secure!  We are working on arrangements for me to pick it up (he's a busy real estate agent).
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Still on the YZ? Good to see a fellow two smoker out there.  I have a 250 XC-W now.  I have been looking at getting up to MI to run the MCCCT.  My travels never take me that far north though.  I always end up in KY or WV.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:50:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Still on the YZ? Good to see a fellow two smoker out there.  I have a 250 XC-W now.  I have been looking at getting up to MI to run the MCCCT.  My travels never take me that far north though.  I always end up in KY or WV.
View Quote

Yep, Still on the YZ (it's been street "legalized" since the pic in my avatar).  It's really tempting to jump ship for a euro made 4 stroke like the Husky or Husaberg FE 501 (or even one of those orange things ), but the 2 stroke is so much fun it would be hard to get rid of it.  The main annoyance for the 2T is on the road fuel stops.  My riding buddy did the MCCCT solo a couple years back.  I don't know how I would do it unless I had a support vehicle carrying gas for me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Update in OP.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Welcome too the club! I enjoy shooting my muzzleloaders as much as my rifles/pistols any day. Muzzleloader season is actually my favorite of all Big Game Seasons here in TN. They pack a hell of a punch.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Welcome too the club! I enjoy shooting my muzzleloaders as much as my rifles/pistols any day. Muzzleloader season is actually my favorite of all Big Game Seasons here in TN. They pack a hell of a punch.
View Quote

I'm actually thinking that if I get good enough with this thing, that I may just leave my slug gun at home during regular firearm season (the area I hunt doesn't allow rifles).  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a CVA Wolf and a T/C Omega.

The Omega feels and is built better but the Wolf is more accurate by a bit.

Both are great. Enjoy your new smokepole.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top