Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2013 10:02:30 AM EDT
what ya got?

(but don't give me a cut and paste that you googled.... I want a recipe for something that you've actually made)
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I will bump this for the next 10 years if I have to
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#2]
don't let me down
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's what i do.  I lived in NM for 8  years so i know how they do it there.

5# pork loin cubed

2-3 large onions diced

1/2 head of garlic

3 large tomatoes diced

about 2-3 lbs roasted Hatch green chiles, peeled of course.  The pueblo chiles are a close second.  I see your in CO.

3 qts chicken stock

3 large potatoes diced

salt and pepper

Brown/sear the pork loin in large cast iron dutch over in a little oil.  I use lard.  Salt and pepper to taste

Add in the onion and garlic cook till translucent.

Add the chicken stock, i also add an additional pint or so of water and bring to boil then reduce heat to simmer.  Simmer for about an hour.

Add in the potatoes and simmer for another 30-40 min till the potatoes are tender.

add in green chiles, diced, and tomatoes and simmer for about 15 minutes

season with extra salt and pepper to taste.

The above measures are not exact....add the liquids to get it to the consistency you like.  Not too watery or too thick etc.

Add to a bowl, add shredded cheese of your choice and serve with freshly heated (open flame) flour tortillas

Damn, time to go get a pork loin and some stock

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Brown some chunks of pork loin
Add them to:
Chicken broth, chopped onion, green chile, and new potatoes.
Add 1/2 to 1 tsp Cumin.

Simmer til potatoes are done.

If you feel fancy:

3 fresh Anaheim or poblano chiles
   1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
   3/4 tsp. kosher salt; more to taste
   Freshly ground black pepper
   1/4 lb. bacon (about 4 slices), cut crosswise into thin strips
   1 yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
   2 large cloves garlic, minced
   1 Tbs. ground cumin
   1 cup lager-style beer, such as Budweiser
   2 cups low-salt chicken broth
   1-1/4 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
   1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
   3 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
   1 bay leaf
   2-1/2 cups medium-diced leftover Roasted Pork Loin with Maple-Mustard Crust, (about 3/4 lb.)
   2 tsp. cider vinegar; more to taste
   1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese

Position an oven rack 6 inches from the broiler element and heat the broiler to high. Toss the chiles with the oil, 1/4 tsp. of the salt, and a few generous grinds of pepper. Set on a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and broil the chiles, flipping every 1 to 2 minutes, until they brown, blister, and blacken all over, about 5 minutes total. Remove the chiles from the oven, wrap in the foil, and let cool to room temperature. Then peel off the skin and core and seed them. Cut them into 1/2-inch pieces.

Cook the bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until it browns and renders much of its fat, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Add the onion and garlic to the pot, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, and cook, stirring, until they soften and brown in places, about 6 minutes. Add the cumin and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.

Raise the heat to high, add the beer, and cook, stirring to pick up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot, until it has almost evaporated, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the chicken broth, potatoes, half of the cilantro, the oregano, bay leaf, and the chiles and bring to a boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer, cover, and cook until the potatoes are just barely tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the pork and vinegar and cook until the potatoes are completely tender, about 10 more minutes. Season to taste with more salt, pepper, and vinegar. Serve, sprinkled with the bacon, cheese, and the remaining cilantro.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#5]
New Mexican Caldillo (Green Chile Stew)

Ingredients

1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 pounds pork country-style ribs
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup white wine
1 pound red potatoes, unpeeled and cubed
10  whole Anaheim chiles (or 1 cup of frozen diced chiles) – use more if you like it hotter
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves

Directions

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, cider vinegar, oregano, and cumin. Set aside.

Season the pork ribs with 1 tablespoon of the kosher salt. Place a large griddle over medium-high heat and once a drop of water bounces off, sear the meat until browned on all sides. Once browned, remove the meat to the bowl with the paste and toss to coat. Transfer to a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil and seal tightly. Place the package into a metal pan and put into a cold oven on the middle rack. Set the oven to 250 degrees F and cook for 4 hours.

Remove the meat from the oven and carefully poke a hole in the pack while holding it over a heatproof container. Drain the liquid into the container and place it into the refrigerator to cool enough so that the fat separates from the rest of the liquid, approximately 1 hour. After 1 hour, transfer the liquid to the freezer and keep there until the fat cap has solidified, approximately 1 hour. Allow the ribs to sit at room temperature while the liquid is cooling; or if serving the next day, place in the refrigerator until ready to finish.

Roast the chiles under high broiler until skin is blackened on all sides.  Place all chiles in a plastic bag and seal tightly, allowing them to steam in bag for 1 hour.  When cool enough to handle, peel skins and remove stems, seeds and ribs.  Dice chiles and set aside.

Retrieve the liquid from the refrigerator and remove the fat cap that has formed on top. Measure out 1 tablespoon of the fat and reserve the rest for another time. Place the fat into a large saucier over medium heat. Once the fat has melted add the onion along with the remaining teaspoon of salt and stir to separate the onions into rings. Allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Deglaze with white wine and cook until evaporated.  Add the potatoes along with a pinch of black pepper and stir to combine. Next, add the liquid reserved from the meat and stir in half of the diced chile.  Cover tightly and decrease the heat to low so that no heat is escaping the lid. Cook for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.

Meanwhile, cut the meat into 1/2" cubes, discarding any bones, excess fat, and connective tissue. Once the potatoes are tender, uncover and set the meat atop the vegetables. Cover and continue to cook for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and add the rest of the diced chile and stir in the lime juice.  Serve with fresh corn tortillas.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't really have a recipe, but here's what I do:
Cut a pork roast into cubes and sear it in a big pot with salt, pepper, onions, and garlic.  Once it's browned throw in some beef stock and a bottle of beer, enough to cover it well.  Dump in some cumin and simmer it for an hour or two until it's falling apart.
At the same time, blanch 1lb of tomatillos in boiling water to get the skins to crack (peel the papery husk off first).  Peel them, then puree them in a blender with a pound or so of green chilies.  I like to use a combination of Anaheims and Jalapenos.  Dump this mixture into a frying pan and cook it down until it's a thick paste, then mix it in with the pork.  Cook it a little while longer to let the flavors blend together.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Three legit responses before someone dropped a tomatillo.

Honestly, that's farther than I thought it would get.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#8]
This thread is making my mouth water.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#9]
this looks pretty solid:

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-pork-amp-green-chile-stew-chile-verde-recipes-from-the-kitchn-196167

1 - 1 1/2 pounds fresh green chile peppers (See Recipe Notes)
8 ounces tomatillos, husks removed
2 tablespoons bacon grease, lard, or canola oil, for browning
3 1/2 - 4 pounds pork shoulder, excess fat removed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 large yellow onion, chopped
5 - 6 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano (See Recipe Notes)
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
4 cups chicken stock, plus more as needed
3/4 pound russet, yukon gold, or white potatoes (about 3 medium potatoes)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cooked white rice or warm tortillas, for serving
Fresh cilantro sprigs, for serving

Place an oven rack a few inches from the broiler. Arrange the peppers on a sheet pan and cook, turning occasionally, until charred on all sides,15 to 20 minutes. Wrap the peppers tightly with aluminum foil in three to four bundles to steam.

While the peppers are steaming, arrange the tomatillos on the sheet pan and broil until charred, flipping once, 5 to 10 minutes. Peel and remove the skins, stems, and seeds from the peppers. Chop the peppers and tomatillos and set aside.

Heat a few tablespoons of bacon grease in a large Dutch oven over high heat until sizzling. Pat pork dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Working in three to four batches (do not crowd the pan) cook pork until browned on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a large bowl. Continue browning the remaining pork.

Reduce heat to medium. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, oregano, and bay leaves and stir to incorporate, about 1 minute. Add cider vinegar to the pot and increase heat to high to deglaze the pan; scrape up any leftover browned bits from the bottom of the pan.

Pour in the chicken stock and reserved peppers and tomatillos. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the pork is fork-tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. (It can also be cooked in an 325°F oven.)

Peel and dice the potatoes. Add to the stew and cook until tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Season stew with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve with cooked white rice (my preference) or warm tortillas. This recipe gets better after one, two, and three days, so make in advance if possible.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag for future deliciousness.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#11]
While not exactly what you are looking for, just wanted to point out this stuff which is great with eggs and about 5 bucks at Whole Foods.

also, I'm tagging this thread for recipes
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#12]
It's called Chile Verde.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread needs more pics
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Taggage.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Tagged

eta; I think it's time to run to the store!
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#16]
JFC, you do not put potatoes in green chile and pork.  That's like beans in red chili.  

And Pueblo Mira Sol chiles have better flavor than Hatch chiles.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Use pork shoulder roast not loin.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#18]
This is the recipe I use.

Chile Verde

Ingredient’s

3-4 lbs Pork
10-12 Tomatilloes
3 Large Fresh Anaheim Chili’s
3-6 Pablano Chili’s
3 Jalapeno Chili’s
1-2 onions
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp salt
Vegetable oil

Preparation:

Dice Pork into small cubes. In a large skillet add 2 tsp of oil and braise pork cubes. Set aside.

Chop onions, garlic, tomatilloes and chilies into small pieces. Put 2 Tbsp oil in skillet , and sauté until onions start to caramelize and tomatilloes start to get a bit of charring.  

Place skillet contents into a food processor and add remaining spices. Puree contents until they have a smooth consistency. Add water sparingly if needed.

Place meat into slow cooker and mix with sauce. Continue to thin with water until sauce reaches desired consistency. If sauce has a bitter taste add sugar in small amounts until desired taste is obtained. Slow cook chili for two hours or until meat reaches desired tenderness. Serve with tortillas.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#19]
placeholder until wife can type up her recipe.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
JFC, you do not put potatoes in green chile and pork.  That's like beans in red chili.  

View Quote

Get bent, COtard.  This is a New Mexican dish.

Anyone who puts a tomatillo anywhere near a green chile should be strung up by his vas deferentia.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Anyone who puts a tomatillo anywhere near a green chile should be strung up by his vas deferentia.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get bent yourself, hick.  I've had green chile in CO AND NM, never had potatoes in it.  Maybe that's how they do it in corn country.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Tagged....

(Any of the recipes suitable for Crockpot for 6 to 10 hours?....sounds like it would be something great to come home to)....
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Get bent yourself, hick.  I've had green chile in CO AND NM, never had potatoes in it.  Maybe that's how they do it in corn country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't mistake where I am for where I'm from.  I won't eat what they do here--it's criminal; and yes, it involves tomatillos.

I just got back from visiting family in Albuquerque.  I made my green chile stew (posted above) for 35 extended family members from all over the country using the leftover Thanksgiving turkey instead of pork (shoulder only).  It was awesome.  You northerners are clueless about green chile.

Thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#24]
5lb pork shoulder, cubed
2 onions, diced
bunch of anaheim or poblano , cleaned and diced
bunch of garlic(garlic is a food group)
Cumin
diced tomatoes
salt, pepper

Brown the pork in some olive oil add the rest as you see fit.  When onions are cooked, cover with water and simmer.

I dump this over rice.  It does not last long.  

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bravo!

Chile verde and green chili are two different dishes.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

5# pork loin cubed

2-3 large onions diced

1/2 head of garlic

3 large tomatoes diced

about 2-3 lbs roasted Hatch green chiles, peeled of course.  The pueblo chiles are a close second.  I see your in CO.

3 qts chicken stock

3 large potatoes diced

salt and pepper

Brown/sear the pork loin in large cast iron dutch over in a little oil.  I use lard.  Salt and pepper to taste

Add the chicken stock, i also add an additional pint or so of water and bring to boil then reduce heat to simmer.  Simmer for about an hour.

Add in the potatoes and simmer for another 30-40 min till the potatoes are tender.

The above measures are not exact....add the liquids to get it to the consistency you like.  Not too watery or too thick etc.

Add to a bowl, add shredded cheese of your choice and serve with freshly heated (open flame) flour tortillas

Just finished.....it still has about 45 min to simmer.  But damn, Hatch green chile is the shit!!!!!!!!  Fuck Anaheim chiles.  they are weak!

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#27]
ingredients procured...
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#28]
dis gonna be good
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Tagarooski.

I've never made a stew. I usually just toss some Green Chilis, canned green sauce, and Pork Chops in the crock pot and let'er rip.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#30]
2+ hours to go:

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#31]
So this is what I do:

3-4 lbs pork shoulder, cubed 1.5 to 2 in.
2 onions, chopped
3 lbs fire roasted Hatch green chilies, peeled.
Cumin ( I use somewhere between a tsp and a fuck ton)
Chicken stock ( I use a 1 qt carton)
Clove or two of garlic, crushed and chopped
salt/pepper

Heat a large cast iron pot on medium, then melt a tablespoon of bacon grease and add cubed pork, brown on all sides of the cubes. Add chopped onions and cook until they start to turn clear. Add some of the cumin and garlic during this time. After the onions start to turn clear add 2 lbs of green chili and chicken stock. Add some salt and pepper and some more cumin.

Cover and simmer for 3 hours. Stirring every fifteen minutes, don't let the shit scorch  to the bottom of the pot. After 3 hours or so the pork should be ready to fall apart, with a fork shred the cubes add the remaining pound of green chilies and simmer another 30 mins to an hour.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#32]
my house is smelling so good that I may be prevented from sleeping
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#33]
ok, this is goooooooood... but way spicier than I was expecting
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#34]
If it doesn't hurt its not hot/spicy enough.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Try a squirt of lime juice.  It will moderate the heat and add a little brightness.

You can also garnish with sour cream, which will help a bit.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Subscribed.

Now I need to go to the Mexican food market for some cool chilies.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#37]

I'm going to make this s
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm going to make this s
View All Quotes

if thebomber is making it, it's going to be good!
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks good
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#40]
here's my finished product:

(finally got around to eating it tonight)
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#41]
This is on the stove right now. Tastes great so far.

Added some cumin per other recipes.  Used poblano peppers cause walmart doesn't sell green hatch peppers here apparently.

Quoted:

5# pork loin cubed
2-3 large onions diced
1/2 head of garlic
3 large tomatoes diced
3 qts chicken stock
3 large potatoes diced
salt and pepper

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top