Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/7/2013 12:45:57 AM EDT
Hi all.

I was Googling stuff about radiation sickness (Scarey shit).

Has anyone here ever had it in any form, or radiation burns, from what I found out a small does which will make you quite sick (Vomiting, headache and dizziness and maybe some skin burns can be survivable if treated.

Then with a relatively large dose, you can be dead inside of 2 days.

I know we have quite a large membership here and some of you work in some interesting fields, so I was just wandering if anyone has ever had radiation sickness and does it feel different compared to just having stomach bug?
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 12:48:19 AM EDT
[#1]
They found your truck and it was still in Mexico.

You won't find many people who have had serious radiation sickness because events that could cause it are very few and very well publicized so you'd probably have already heard of them already.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 12:50:32 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife's eyes glow red once a month, and I feel sick for days
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 12:56:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude, I'm so sorry, does it get much better with treatment?
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 3:50:12 AM EDT
[#4]

I had my thyroid nuked. Twice.

The first time made it stronger. Like Godzilla.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:10:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes and you do not want to make me mad!
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:17:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:19:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:21:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I was stationed in West Germany when Chernobyl blew up.  I know radiation did come over FRG, but how much, or if I was dosed I'll never know.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:23:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:23:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes and you do not want to make me mad!
View Quote

You wouldn't like him when he's mad.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:25:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I have worked at a few DOE sites and also work near/in some big radar sites, so maybe.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:25:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was stationed in West Germany when Chernobyl blew up.  I know radiation did come over FRG, but how much, or if I was dosed I'll never know.
View Quote

Your exposure can be estimated pretty accurately based upon the area monitor readings for the duration.
It IS a known within a certain range. Getting the data is the hard part.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#13]
High dose Proton Beam Radiation to the middle of my head for a tumor. I had been told to stay out of the sun or it could make me sick, and after a month and a half, I thought I'd be ok. It was evening, and overcast. I spent a little over an hour outside cleaning my truck. The next day I wasnt feeling quite right. I had half a sub sandwich, then that night started vomiting. I spent the next week and a half vomiting everything back up, and dropped 22 lbs in that time. It's worse then a stomach bug because the amount of vomiting you do will make your whole body sore constantly. It was awful.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:01:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Three times for me.  My jizz now glows under a Woods Lamp.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had my thyroid nuked. Twice.

The first time made it stronger. Like Godzilla.

Three times for me.  My jizz now glows under a Woods Lamp.  

That's just a regular photo of you in your avatar, isn't it?

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:05:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to sit too close to the color TV.

Any other old farts remember this from the 70s? "Don't sit too close to the color TV, they give off radiation!"
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:09:10 AM EDT
[#16]
small doses aren't a problem.  I've been a radiation worker for 35 years.   Even big doses aren't bad if you get in/get out and don't spend a lot of time in the zone.  Medical doses tend not to be fun.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:09:12 AM EDT
[#17]
4 Days of full body radiation treatments for leukemia back in 1992.
It sucked bigtime!
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:10:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Define "normal".  Everyday life or something catastrophic?

I had 35 radiation therapy sessions for cancer from Feb - Apr '13 that weren't everyday doses.  So, I suppose I could say "yes" to your question.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I had to go in for some extensive testing. Before the tests I was given some radioactive whateverthehellitwas.
Later that day I took a pickup truck load of stuff out to the dump.
I set off the radiation detector.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:13:02 AM EDT
[#20]
My pre-teen years were in the '50s and my parents always bought our shoes at Sears.  The Sears shoe department had an x-ray machine that let you see your feet inside your new shoes and I stood in it many times.  Since then it has been determined that the radiation levels produced by those machines was hazardous to anyone around them.  So far I seem to have survived without any ill effects.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:14:50 AM EDT
[#21]
When I had my first bone scan around 12 years old. They shot me twice with the radioactive shit on accident. they said they screwed up and that it was too much but I never got sick from it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:22:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
High dose Proton Beam Radiation to the middle of my head for a tumor. I had been told to stay out of the sun or it could make me sick, and after a month and a half, I thought I'd be ok. It was evening, and overcast. I spent a little over an hour outside cleaning my truck. The next day I wasnt feeling quite right. I had half a sub sandwich, then that night started vomiting. I spent the next week and a half vomiting everything back up, and dropped 22 lbs in that time. It's worse then a stomach bug because the amount of vomiting you do will make your whole body sore constantly. It was awful.
View Quote

We have a winner!?  
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:25:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Commercial nuke power worker here..so yes I've been dosed more than "normal" people, but much less than others (who are doing just fine).

Doses that are enough to cause short term health problems are relatively very high when compared to "normal."
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:26:39 AM EDT
[#24]
I once fucked a chick on a granite top counter. So I suppose so. We then ate bananas afterwards to up the radiation count.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:29:11 AM EDT
[#25]
If you are a frequent flyer, you are exposed to higher than normal radiation doses.  You could take a ride through a carry on x ray machine 5 times and it would be less of a dose than 1 trans continental flight.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:29:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I really haven't but a long time ago, Bohr or Cincinnatus responded to one my posts with "Were you exposed to high levels of radiation as a child?"

I think that was when I was in the "Class of '04".

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:36:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you are a frequent flyer, you are exposed to higher than normal radiation doses.  You could take a ride through a carry on x ray machine 5 times and it would be less of a dose than 1 trans continental flight.

View Quote

Back before 9-11 and the bloody TSA I worked at an airport making sure kids found their flights and buses for Space Camp. Things were pretty relaxed back then and I got to know two of the ladies running the security checkpoint in our small airport. One day I was chatting with one of them when she stopped in mid-sentence and said, "Oh, shit!" I looked up at her monitor and there was a cat in a cat carrier coming through the X-ray. Apparently you're not really supposed to do that.  

So, to the OPs question, no, I haven't been dosed. But I once knew a cat who was.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:40:11 AM EDT
[#28]
My uncle served on the Nathaniel Greene one of the first big hoy nuke subs.  He worked in the engine room and suffered from every cancer imaginable.  He finally passed way from cancer in 1989.  The docs used to stay it was most certainly exposure that caused the cancer.  The government seemed to disagree.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:42:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I had sunburn on my shins so bad it blistered about a decade ago... Went kayaking and didn't put sun screen on the legs.  Put legs on deck of boat during slow / flat water. .

Solar Radiation.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:45:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I had to go in for some extensive testing. Before the tests I was given some radioactive whateverthehellitwas.

View Quote

Probably Technetium-99, I see that all the time at work. Truck drivers have stress tests and radiation detectors go absolutely ape shit. What's not fun is when they had the test like a month prior and don't remember when I ask them if they've had any medical procedures recently, or think it was too long ago to matter. It actually kinda sucks because if the graph shows a huge spike and they tell me they haven't had any tests lately, I go from normal to shitshitshitshitshit really quickly. Usually they "remember" by the time I've ordered them out of the truck and have handcuffs out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:45:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

...in which case I've been irradiated exponentially
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:46:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO SHIT!!

I am the walking dead!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:51:53 AM EDT
[#33]
It seems the 13'rs have been subjected to high dosages.

I'm just saying........
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 5:55:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No treatment available.
Terminal condition.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 6:03:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Only this guy, AFAIK . . .

dp
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#36]
It was creepy standing in the reactor control rod drive rebuild room and listening to my electronic dosimeter flip the fuck out. Then one of the techs said, "oh, hey, don't stand near that corner of the room."

Ya think?  

For the record, I didn't hit the daily dose limit, or whatever it's called.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 6:31:24 AM EDT
[#37]
I eat a lot of bananas.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I got burned BAD by radiation when I was a kid.  Skin turned red, then a few days later it peeled off in large sheets.  The pain was pretty bad.  But I recovered.

Where did the radiation come from?  A massive hydrogen fusion reaction.  Even though the reaction was quite distant, the radiation still got me.

That was when I was an early teen.  I am in my mid 40s now

It is called sunburn

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 6:48:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Probably Technetium-99, I see that all the time at work. Truck drivers have stress tests and radiation detectors go absolutely ape shit. What's not fun is when they had the test like a month prior and don't remember when I ask them if they've had any medical procedures recently, or think it was too long ago to matter. It actually kinda sucks because if the graph shows a huge spike and they tell me they haven't had any tests lately, I go from normal to shitshitshitshitshit really quickly. Usually they "remember" by the time I've ordered them out of the truck and have handcuffs out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, I'm not the unique snowflake that I thought I was.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#40]
72 mrem

Define normal
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
from what I found out a small does which will make you quite sick (Vomiting, headache and dizziness and maybe some skin burns can be survivable if treated.

Then with a relatively large dose, you can be dead inside of 2 days.
View Quote

Meh.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:09:27 AM EDT
[#42]
I picked up a healthy dose of Alpha on a DOE site in the late 1990's... Turns out we were exposed to powdered Beryllium.  I've had very minor issues that may, or may not be associated with that, but mostly it's because of the metal, not the radiation.

Basically all it means is that I had to go get a shit-ton of tests a couple years back and now I get a chest X-Ray annually.

If I DID get any super-powers because of it, night sweats are the shittiest super power EVER.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#43]
used to service x-ray equipment a while back, had to wear a personal monitor everyday.
used to be around NDT with isotopes as well

nothing triggered to my knowledge.. certainly don't want to deal with any CBR/NBC issues..
talk about fucking up your life..
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Back in the first few weeks of OIF, my team and I were poking around in a building that had been hit by a cruise missile .  Something I touched ended up giving my bad blisters over both of my hands, and on my lips where I had touched them.

The doc had no idea what it was. He said it looked like a blister agent or radiation burns.  I have heard that cruise missiles have DU parts in them, but didn't know the could cause burns.

The blisters went away in about a week. No cancer yet!
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Never anything that would come near to radiation sickness. I've only got a little over 1R lifetime exposure after 15years in nuclear. Worst field I was ever in was a few R/hr gamma, standing right over a gaping hole in a reactor coolant system loop. I'm sure if betas were factored in it would have been a lot higher, but it's doesn't take much to stop beta's.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:35:08 AM EDT
[#46]
As many X-rays as I've had over the years, I'm gonna go with yes I probably have
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

We have a winner!?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have a winner!?  

As an addendum to this, during the 2 months of actual treatment, I only vomited once, and was nauseous two other times. Zapped once a day for two months. The radiation from the sun hitting the three small spots of my head that the dosing went through were what actually got me sick all that time after. This was 5 years ago and I'm fine now as far as I know, other then being a 13er.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Been in Iraqi vehicles that had likely been killed using DU rounds.  Who knows?  No way to say yes or no so I'll find out in the coming decades.

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Been in Iraqi vehicles that had likely been killed using DU rounds.  Who knows?  No way to say yes or no so I'll find out in the coming decades.

View Quote

That would be depleted Uranium, so you should be good, right?
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#50]
i have been exposed to radiation,,

why do think my penis has grown to an ab-normally large size..

ill have to live with this side effect for the rest of my life...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top