Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2002 5:47:10 PM EDT
As many of you know, I advertise products on this board. A member contacted me about one of them recently, and asked for a discount due to active duty military status. I agreed to eat the usual 3% credit card processing fee, and pay for shipping.
After receipt, he claimed it looked used. I offered to send him another unit immediately, on his promise to send the first one back. He then said it didn't fit his Bushmaster, and said he was sending the part back. Having installed this item on a number of Bushys, I asked him to send the upper, so that I could install it, or find out why it wouldn't go on.
He then replied that he had installed it, but it didn't fit securely, and he didn't want it. Without my consent, he has shipped the unit back.
A number of other AR15.com members have purchased the same product from me and other dealers. As far as I know, no one else has had any problem with it.
My question is, what should I refund to him?

All of it?

All less shipping and credit card fee, which I pay regardless?

Some other amount?

Nothing? (just kidding, not an option)

What do you think?
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you should communicate with him and try to see if you can resolve it that way.  Ask him what he thinks is fair.  See if he is reasonable.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#2]
10% of the sale price.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Honestly, I'd just give him his money back, minus shipping, and be done with it. It'll turn into a bigger headache than what it's worth.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Give him back what he paid.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Its the cost of doing business. I know it sucks, but once you receive the unit, if its in the same condition as you sent it, refund the money, minus shipping and handling if you wish. It will be btter than having an all-out posting war on here, which could cause a lot of negativity...

In the future, unless you already have, make a policy on this type of trasaction.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Kinda sad that someone would be asking for a discount based on his AD status. I'm active duty and do not expect nor desire discounts because of it. Just being in the military doesn't entitle someone to a reduced price. If a  business wants to offer it , fine. But to go askin' for it as if we're owed it is pitiful. And he stated it didn't fit his BUSHMASTER, so it probably wasn't for duty related purposes. Most of the fast food places in town give 10% off for military and it is appreciated but I've got a little bit more pride than getting on the phone and trolling for a discount. If I need a discount on a part or accessory, maybe I don't need it as much as I think I do.

And to answer your question,I'd refund whatever he sent you and give him a hearty F#@K OFF.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Give him back what he paid.
View Quote

Exactly.  You'll have to eat the CC surcharge and the shipping, but it will end any problems between you and the customer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, you HOPE that'll end any problems.  It seems there are some who are NEVER satisfied, no matter what you do.

Good luck in your business!  Be fair, be consistent, and be ready to meet a bunch of great guys, and some dickheads thrown in for flavor!

[:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Pick the one with the biggest boobs...Now what was the question? [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top