Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lighten up Francis....it's a joke.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't tip college professors....never heard of it and they get paid to teach not tipped......
Lighten up Francis....it's a joke.

Sometimes it is very difficult to distinguish between stupidity and a "joke".
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
System Message is going to implode.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Would you accept a pill bottle with a bud in it?
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#5]
A shiny, HCN-laced apple left on the desk.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#6]
If they cut tuition to $2.15/hr I might consider it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Tipping professors is a brilliant idea!

Professors at any competitive university are hired and paid based off of their research and the amount of grants they can get the university. Professor wage/ rank is a result of market forces, but not student market forces. Consider students only a small side product that universities produce.

Fucked up right?

Tipping would actually incentivize all professors to give a damn about their students and make a concerted effort to teach and teach well.

I have had some great teachers. I have had some shit ones. I would love to reward the good ones.

VO

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Your tip will depend on whether I get my 4.0 on time.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Professors at any competitive university are hired and paid based off of their research and the amount of grants they can get the university. Professor wage/ rank is a result of market forces, but not student market forces. Consider students only a small side product that universities produce.

Fucked up right?

Tipping would actually incentivize all professors to give a damn about their students and make a concerted effort to teach and teach well.

I have had some great teachers. I have had some shit ones. I would love to reward the good ones.

VO

View Quote

One major problem with this in my experience is that college students, by and large, wouldn't know a decent education if it mushroom-stamped them on the forehead.  The best educators often receive poor evaluations, and the laziest (but easy, friendly) educators do well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Well what was the typical deed? I mean you're supposed to tip your prostitute, or gigilo, right? I don't have experience with it, so I'm no SME...
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Heaven forbid.  Real work sounds terrible.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Inspired by several threads - one about tipping, and one about whether or not college students are really the "customer" (since they pay tuition) - I was wondering what level of tipping y'all think would be appropriate for a college professor.

I've got a tip for you.......Get a real job.

Heaven forbid.  Real work sounds terrible.  

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't get uppity or we'll take away your assistants and make you teach more classes and grade all the papers.  We can also put a cap on the cost of your books.

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Are you REALLY hinting DK, that Mods and Admin should be tipped by GD?

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you really want to rely on being payed by broke-ass, ramen-eating college students?
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do you really want to rely on being payed by broke-ass, ramen-eating college students?
View Quote

Lets be honest... Mommy and Daddy are footing the bill.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#21]
How about a game of just the tip?
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I am going to revise what I was going to post.  I really hope this is not serious.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I can't respond to anything where someone actually typed ya'll
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Traditionally, it's the other way around.  One of the Ivy League schools has something about needing to provide wine and cheese for the students during their final.  I had an old-school English prof from there that did just that for our final.  Also, it was awesome in other ways.  It didn't count for a grade, but that's when you found out *why* he wanted the majority of assignments done in your own handwriting: he compared the handwriting on the final to the earlier assignments to see if the students were the actual authors.  I think we had about three folks that had a 'come to Jesus' moment (or a 'come to the Liberal Devil' moment) while I enjoyed some excellent refreshments.  That guy did all sorts of stuff that was expressly against the law/campus policies (contract grading, having others grade for him, etc.) and I *loved* his class.  It's one of the very few required liberal arts electives that I actually enjoyed.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I thought you got paid to bring in grant money and publish stuff in the "literature?"

Nobody cares about teaching.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'd vote for inappropriate touching, but I can't think of a single Prof I wanted to nail.
View Quote

I had one. But she was married to a different professor of mine, and I barely passed his class as it was.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#31]
With the price of tuition as high as it is, the college should be tipping my kids for attending.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I figure it's that type of folksy mannerisms that will get me some big tips.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't respond to anything where someone actually typed ya'll

I figure it's that type of folksy mannerisms that will get me some big tips.  

Not if you keep misspelling"y'all."

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Especially fuzzy foreigners that have jobs in the gilded halls of academia.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Fucked up right?

VO

View Quote

If only that was true.  Market forces work for some of the disciplines but not for others.  if you want to make good money get a PhD in Marketing, Finance, Law, Medicine etc.  If you want to make a lot less go into History, Sociology, Anthropology, English etc.

Heck, an assistant professor in computing with no experience will get more than a nationally recognized full professor in anthropology.

a just world?  Not really, but it is reality.

And all things considered accepting a tip would be really unethical, so sad.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I believe that the use of redneck colloquialisms combined with a fondness for muscle cars may forfeit Euro privileges. Hah! He's stuck here with the rest of us.

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Here's my tip: Don't pet barking dogs.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've given a few profs extremely generous "tips" and mostly they weren't received with grace.

I yelled at only one or two.  Crushed one in his office when I told him he was the sorriest excuse for an instructor that I had experienced; I thought he was going to cry.  Drug one smart ass grad student (Indian, dot not feather, trying to teach his first course) down the stair well to the dean's office after he popped off about going down there.  The Pakistani students in the class threatened to kill him, so I was pretty well good to go.

View Quote

I'm surprised you had anyone who could actually speak English in an engineering program. Did you have to yell at them in foreign tongues, or did you just use hand gestures?
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Tips should be based on the tipping customs of the professor's country instead of the country he's currently in.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#39]
There is no such thing as inappropriate touching by coeds.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Actually, come to think of it, teachers frequently receive tips from satisfied patrons. Every Chstmas I get gifts, including a god amount of Panera/Starbucks/Applebees/etc. gift cards from the parents of my students.  I don't ask for them or expect it, but I get them.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#42]
No way.  

I've learned that the job of professors is to write conduct research on subjects that no one cares about in the slightest, and publish them in places that 11 or 12 people in the field have ever heard of.    (1)

(1) see page 349, "The Avian Zoological Imperative in the Keynesian Re-Valuation of Dresser Drawers Upon Closing Action by Pseudo-Trans-Gendered Red Coats", The Royal Copenhagen Snuff Journal of Economics and Borscht Recipes, December, 2013.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#44]
A handshake and a "I enjoyed your class" is the most you crazy bastards will get out of me.

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#45]
There have been a few college instructors I wish had a suggestions box in their class.  If there had been a tip jar I am fairly certain it would have ended up with fecal matter in it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Oh, so it's tips you want. Ok…..

Buy low, sell high and avoid the margin.

Don't eat the yellow snow.

Your welcome…….
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
fucking incomprehensible foreigner
View Quote

We've all had to deal with that guy.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That hurts me, right in the feels.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

College professors are useless, over paid, commie fucks.  They ought to refund part of their salary to their students.

That hurts me, right in the feels.  

I didn't think Swedes had feelings
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

On the teaching evaluation forms at most schools, there's usually a section for comments, so that's sort of like a suggestion/feedback box.

We call it " the part that nobody reads"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There have been a few college instructors I wish had a suggestions box in their class.  If there had been a tip jar I am fairly certain it would have ended up with fecal matter in it.

On the teaching evaluation forms at most schools, there's usually a section for comments, so that's sort of like a suggestion/feedback box.

We call it " the part that nobody reads"

We always had fun with those forms. One of my law school profs was a borderline elite marathon runner, but was probably 130lbs soaking wet and kind of looked like Harry Potter. So we'd put things like this on his evals:

Strengths: Wizard dueling; running really far
Weaknesses: Forearms

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top