Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2002 9:25:55 AM EDT
I'll be visting some family up there this weekend - thought it would be neat to take my younger cousins out to shoot.  Specifically will be around the Pittston area.  Can anyone recommend any public places to shoot?  Would rather it not be a game commission range so we can load more than 3 rounds, but if that is all that'a available...  I'm sure it will be packed in anywhere we go with buck season starting on Monday, but any ranges historically less crowded would be prefered as well.

Any shops to visit while I'm there as well?  Was thinking of D&R in Nanticoke, but anywhere else?

Thanks,
Rocko
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 5:30:08 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT - dang, no NE PA guys?
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm across the river from Wilkes-Barre, in Kingston. Good Italian deli's in Pittston.

We've got two game ranges, but like you said, they will be packed this weekend. Nobody around here pays attention to the 3 round rule.

If you go, the range on SGL 206 is the one I go to. It's rather nice. Down US 11 to US 29. North on 29 to 118. West on 118. You'll pass a big saw blade on the right and then a cemetary. Immediatly past the cemetary there will be a small country road. Down that and you'll drive right past the range on your left. Can't miss it. But it will be packed. There are some private clubs, but I think they cost money. I never bothered to check. They're in the phone book. There's also a range out in Bear Creek, but it isn't anywhere as nice as 206.

D&R's isn't bad, but [url=http://home.epix.net/~lazer1/]Matt's Shooting Supplies[/url] is who I swear by. He's a good guy with the best prices around. All the guys at the range swear by him, and I got my USP .45 for him at the lowest price I could find in the area. He's out by 206. Instead of turning at 118, you go straight on 29 and there will be a little orange sign. It's out of the way but good.

Have a good time up in the valley. All the ranges will probably be packed though. And while the game commission doesn't seem to mind, some of the other hunters bitch about high caps, or so I hear. I've never been bothered.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool, I'll check it out.  Look's like Matt's isn't too far off from where my travels will take me.  My uncle has about 50 acres right near Harvey's Lake, and I plan on visiting there as well. I'd just shoot there, but I'm going to be hunting his property Monday so figured that may not be the best idea...

Rocko
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#4]
This is probably the best range in the area.  I do believe they rent class 3 as well.  

[url]http://www.sunsethillrange.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top