Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/25/2002 8:42:22 AM EDT
Mrs. Wiggy has fallen in love with the new style 911 Targa w/ Tiptronic tranny. Can anyone out there give me some pointers for what to watch out for.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  The ridiculous price.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Tell me about it...but the wife wants what the wife wants and I try to get her what she wants.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Would you marry [i]me?[/i]

Hell, for a 911 Carrerra 4 I'll be your b!tch!

(Just kidding.)

(Sorta.)
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Where is GreenFurniture when you need him!![;)]
I do not own one but have two friends and a brother that have owned them in the past and IMHO they are the best "sport cars" out there.  Screw Ferrari and the Italian carmakers....way overpriced and parts are difficult to get at times.  Had a friend in Carlsbad,Ca. with a Ferrari F-50 and he had to wait four months to get a part fabricated and shipped!!  Not trying to compare the F-50 w/Porsche 911 just biased on the difference between the two.  German engineering is top notch, although it comes with a price.  Oh and by the way...accelerate thru the turn..don't get scared and let off the gas or you will end up in a field like I did a few years ago.HA!HA!HA!  No harm done to the car thank God....My older brother would have killed me.  The cars tend to be a little heavier in the rear due to engine placement.  Great freaking cars in my opinion..Can't go wrong.
Gemologist[x]
BLOAT
Buy Lots Of Ammo Today
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:00:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Would you marry [i]me?[/i]

Hell, for a 911 Carrerra 4 I'll be your b!tch!

(Just kidding.)

(Sorta.)
View Quote

Do you put out?

(Just Kidding.)

(REALLY!)
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#6]
BTT for some help from my brothers.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey, Wiggy!

So, how's the mortgage business?[:D]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#8]
These guys will be glad to help you.  Car is awesome. Lose the TIP.

[url]http://www.funcarsonline.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=996[/url]

[url]http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum&f=5[/url]

[img]http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/Porsche/LosAngelesOption.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hey, Wiggy!

View Quote

Um, it's OK, I guess.[smiley w/ huge shit eating grin]

How about you?
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#10]
You tell your wife, if she doesn't want the stick, then she doesn't deserve the car.

Now I know you don't know me and I don't know you so that may sound like fightin words, but it's the damn truth.

Automatic tranny and german sports car just don't fit.

BTW, geno is correct, when pushing envelope, DON'T LET OFF GAS AROUND TURNS in a rear mounted engine car!
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know about the tiptronic.

Real drivers buy stick.

I picked up and restored a drug confiscated 928S with auto.

Interesting collection of ad responses...small, but freaky.

Dave
(ex Porsche mechanic)
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Wiggy? Are you looking for someone that owns one of those beasts to guide you to the promised land?

They have fixed all the "bugs" associated with a new model. Things such as the gas cap not getting a good seal and causing the "CHECK ENGINE" light to come on. They are wonderful cars, I've put 34k on my 2000 Carrera 4 to date without any major problems to speak of.

They are really nice cars and hold their value too. The only downside I see with your configuration is that damn tip tranny, those are hard to sell sometimes.

Drop me an email if you want to know more or just shoot the breeze.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=232[/img]
In the ghetto
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, Wiggy!

View Quote

Um, it's OK, I guess.[smiley w/ huge shit eating grin]

How about you?
View Quote

[img]http://www.mbusa.com/media/images/byo/popups/MY2003/SLK230/pack_772.jpg[/img]

pretty good.[:D]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#14]
rkbar15 is right on with the links -

Rennlist is to Porshe owners what AR15.com is to Black Rifles. Lots of good info and I was surprise how pro 2nd amdt. many Porsche owners are.

That said, I probaby would never buy a new Porsche again. I had a 99 Boxster and was underwhelmed with it. Porsche customer service sucks also.

Settled on an older 911 (933) twin turbo which to me is a thing of beauty to drive or to look at. 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, 4 wheel drive and awesome brakes -best all around sports car for the money.

[IMG]http://www.mediarev.com/toyz/Img0204_M.jpg[/IMG]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#15]
If it is not Air cooled or a Turbo it ain't a real 911.

Get a good used Air Cooled Manual Tran 911, you will not be sorry. Anything else is just a car.

Sorry but that is just how it is!
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Magpul you suck! [:D] I see you got one them nice oil cooled prebans.  Where's your gunrack?
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice turbo, Magpul.

The boxster? Yes, it's underpowered but handles real nice. I tried to love one, but my '86 Carrera still leaves it behind.

It's hard to find a Porsche any better than an original 911.

I'll post some pics of my two girls later.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If it is not Air cooled or a Turbo it ain't a real 911.

Get a good used Air Cooled Manual Tran 911, you will not be sorry. Anything else is just a car.

Sorry but that is just how it is!
View Quote

OIL COOLED! OIL COOLED! [:D] 993 Turbos are not for everybody.  I doubt it would be the right car for Mrs. Wiggy.  

Dealer near me has a new custom GT2 for $249,500.    
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Wasn't the switch to water-cooled in 97??

Why do most here dispise the newer water cooled engines?

Link Posted: 11/25/2002 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

History and Tradition and the pure joy of driving an efficient air cooled engine.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

98's were the first water cooled 911's.  It's not just the water cooling.  The suspension, different handling characteristics, sound and shift to a more luxurious heavier handling car is what they don't like about the 996.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Ahh Yes, the 97 Porsche 911 twin turbo - my sole reason for going to Law School.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#24]
VW / Audi
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#26]
No it's not. Porsche is not part of VW/Audi. It's one of the few independant car companies left in the world.  It's also a tiny company compared to the other car companies.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 3:43:48 PM EDT
[#27]
OK that's right.

97 993's.

Those were the ones.

3.6, air-cooled.

You could actually pick up a 93?-97 993 Turbo for a good price now that it's at least 5 years old.

HMMMMMMMMM...........
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No it's not. Porsche is not part of VW/Audi. It's one of the few independant car companies left in the world.  It's also a tiny company compared to the other car companies.
View Quote

rkbar is correct. Porsche is still an independant.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Be careful about 993 Turbos.  Engine/Turbo rebuilds will set you back some major bucks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Consider a Z06 'Vette.

Just as good and about $40K less money.

Quality you say? 2002 Corvette won the J. D. Powers production quality award against all high-end sports cars, including Porche.

Car & Driver comparison of Porche, Viper, and Corvette, in 10 catagories left the 'Vette on top.

Awsome power and performance - comes in 6-speed only.

I test drove one before I picked out my C5 (I liked the coupe better).

The performance is scarey.

My C5 is damned fast, but the Z06 is just unbelievable.

Besides, if you go with the Porche, you'll have to sell your AR's and get HK's. [;)]
View Quote

The Z06 is fast but can you specify the color of the seat stitching? [:D]

Link Posted: 11/25/2002 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#32]
OK that's right.

97 993's.

Those were the ones.

3.6, air-cooled.

You could actually pick up a 93?-97 993 Turbo for a good price now that it's at least 5 years old.

HMMMMMMMMM...........
View Quote

A high mileage one went for 55k here in Denver a few weeks ago.

Consider a Z06 'Vette.

Just as good and about $40K less money.
View Quote

Most of those on the Porsche boards agree that the new Corvette is a great car for the money.

I have the passenger child seat disconnect in my 911 so (with the back seats)I can drive all 3 of my kids around at once. Something I cannot do in a Corvette. [8D]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't know where I saw it, but I swear if you look at Porsche side window you'll see the faint white etching / writing where it shows the connection to VW Audi group.. If I recall (probably incorrectly,) it is also on the vin decal on the door / door frame.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Targas are beautiful. Porsches are far and away better than a Z06. Maybe not value wise, but in 5 years when that vette starts developing squeaks and groans the Porsche will still be as solid as day one. My father has had 4 Porsches every one of them solid as can be because they are HAND MADE. He's had a 928S4, 911(993), 911(996), and now a 911 Turbo (996). Only think I can say is that they are by far the best "sports car" you can buy and drive everyday. My one piece of advice would be to get the stickshift, the tranny on Porsches is a thing of beauty, I often find my self cruising in 5th gear at 30 mph just because I wanted to keep shifting.

Porsche is the mighty mouse of the automotive world. One of the few independent car companies left and perhaps the most succesful one of them.

"I couldn't find the car that I had been dreaming of, so I decided to build it myself."
~Dr. Ferdinand Porsche
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Hi.

Your wife has good taste in cars.

Some things to consider....

I agree with most about 96-97 993s being some of the best of the 911 series (last air cooled).  

I have a 97 C4S that I love, haven't had much problems with it (usual 15K, 30K, 45K routine maintenance, 2 sets of tires, a set of brake pads).  993s are considered bullet proof (I have 50K miles).

But consider this...  Used porsche is a used porsche.  Problems will pop up and when they do, it can be mucho $$$$ to repair.  Also, you might not like the hassle of getting it fixed/diagnosed, etc...

New porsches/or slightly used ones have the security of factory warranties.   (Consider 2000 and up, 4 year 50K mile warranty)

With regard to the new generation 996s,, I don't particularly care for the looks of them except the C4S and the turbo/GT2s.  

Also consider that in a couple of years, 997 will come out.  The spy photos of the new design looks quite promising with that big rear end that I love about these cars.  Also, the "manual autobox" ie "tiptronic" is going to evolve into a true manual F1 type auto shift box as found in BMW SMG, Ferrari 360s, and F1 race cars.  These are much better than the automatic tiptronics yet still allows the wife to drive it in cadillac mode.

So, If you are considering brand new...  I'd consider waiting a couple of years...  

Or if you can't wait,,, pick up a slightly used 996 or even a Boxster S.  They will be under warranty so you can drive them worry free.  This should hold you over until the new 997 comes out.  The used porsche market is totally a buyer's market at the moment.  Some really great deals are out there for used ones....  
Or you can pick up a 96-97 993 and be done with it.  (I'd never sell my 993 =)

There's really no way to compare Porsche's to Vetts.  Totally different cars.  Sure the Z06 might be a little quicker but the entire driving experience (steering, sound, viceral feel, style, brakes, etc) of a porsche is unique and unmatched in the automotive world.  

Welcome to the club =)

www.rennlist.com

Link Posted: 11/25/2002 4:25:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Wow, this is interesting!  

I have a '97 911 (aka 993).  The air-cooled is the last of the greats.  The last year was '98, but there aren't many out there.  The 97 is the most likely you can own.  There are only ~4,000 911's built each year.  Mine looks like the picture posted by magpul, only convertible.  

For those that recommend a Vette (and spell Porsche "Porche"?) - they've never driven a flat-6 911.  These are the best there is to drive.  Try one out - I drive one every day.  I've own every kind of vehicle imaginable, and these are simply the sweetest.  I'm getting on an entrance ramp this morning with tractor trailers bearing down in left lanes and person going ~30 mph in front of me.  Slammed her in 2nd and hit 95 mph before shifting (in about 2 secs).  The feel, the handling, the sound - it's unmistakable.  I've owned a Vette.  Nowhere close.  

Tiptronic vs. stick?  Mine is a tip.  Paddles on the steering wheel and shifter on console is cool, but you lose something without a clutch.  It's great for when you get a cellphone call, grab a meal, etc. - just slip it into auto.  Otherwise, you shift like a manual (- clutch).  If you don't plan to race it, the tiptronic is a nice option.  By the way, wait until you see the dashboard computer on these things!  If your wife plans to drive, get the tiptronic.  Sorry, but I have a hard time trusting my wife in my 911 at all - much less with a clutch to grind!?? :)

Black Fox
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Some (admitedly bad) pics of my girl:

[img]http://www.thefoxs.thefoxs.com/hobbies/cars/a_Porsche-3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.thefoxs.thefoxs.com/hobbies/cars/Porsche-4.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.thefoxs.thefoxs.com/hobbies/cars/Porsche-5.JPG[/img]

I will slightly contend mucors suggestion and recommend a 993.  They will run forever.  I have never regretted the day I got one.  I do not like the looks of the 996, and do not want one.  The 993's are not declining in value at all - they are a good investment.  No matter what you decide, I wish you the best of luck.  

I'm curious how many people there are here from Rennlist?  So many brits and euros, I never considered there may be meat-eating testosterone-filled men there....

Black Fox
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wow, this is interesting!  

I have a '97 911 (aka 993).  The air-cooled is the last of the greats.  The last year was '98, but there aren't many out there.     Black Fox
View Quote

I think only the 993 4S, Targa and Porsche Turbo were available for '98. The C2 was a 996.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#39]
"Also consider that in a couple of years, 997 will come out. The spy photos of the new design looks quite promising with that big rear end that I love about these cars. Also, the "manual autobox" ie "tiptronic" is going to evolve into a true manual F1 type auto shift box as found in BMW SMG, Ferrari 360s, and F1 race cars. These are much better than the automatic tiptronics yet still allows the wife to drive it in cadillac mode.
"

I'd give the 997 two model years for Porsche to work the bugs out based on the past history of the 986 and 996 engine problems.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Porsche has a partnership with VW AG, as the forthcoming Porsche Cayenne and VW Touareg share a platform. I don't think there's any ownership relationship, though.

JScott
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't know where I saw it, but I swear if you look at Porsche side window you'll see the faint white etching / writing where it shows the connection to VW Audi group.. If I recall (probably incorrectly,) it is also on the vin decal on the door / door frame.
View Quote

Porsche is a small company.  Most of the components are produced by other companies.  AFAIK the current TIP in the TT is made by Mercedes Benz and BMW stamps the body panels. In fact most car companies are using components made by other companies.  Porsche excels at design and engineering of their cars.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Porsche has a partnership with VW AG, as the forthcoming Porsche Cayenne and VW Touareg share a platform. I don't think there's any ownership relationship, though.

JScott
View Quote

Yes, just a joint project to develop an SUV.  Better not to mention the Cayenne around Porsche people.  They still haven't accepted glove boxes and cup holders on the 996 [:D] They are berzerk over the Cayenne.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#43]
The 996 is by far the best Porsche ever made.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Get her a 912 and pocket the change... [x]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll second buying the low mileage used thing.  My wife bought her 2001 Boxster with 1,500 miles on it and saved about 7 grand off new.  Porsche USA treats you just like you bought it new, warranty still applies and everything.

One caveat is that there are a number of total engine faliures out there.  On the 986 board there is almost always one posted.  Then the people get pissed because Porsche replaces with a rebuilt engine.

The car is a bit underpowerd for the money, but it handles sweet and is solid as a rock, especially for a convertible.

Now if I could have just talked her into that big block '66 vette. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Hmmmm. Drfcolt; that does give some perspective! I like the way you think...

I'll take the Barbie boxster (14.95) and all the small arms I've ever wanted thank you!
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#47]
The thing is, in a 'real world' any Porsche can dust any Corvette. Curves are a reality.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#48]
So a 914 or a 912 or a 928 would dust a Z01.
Hmmmm......

Quoted:
The thing is, in a 'real world' any Porsche can dust any Corvette. Curves are a reality.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Porsches are excellent cars.  

Unfortunately, I'm trying to sell mine: a triple black 2002 Boxster S.  5k and no problems.  6spd and drives like a smooth, leather roller coaster. (need four doors)

You'll save about 8k off sticker.

Regardless, I would recommend any new Porsche model.
The 996 tiptronic transmission (2002 and 2003) is from the more sophisticated 996 Turbo tip tranny.  This transmission is built by Benz (I believe) and is not only smoother but transfer greater torque to the wheels.  

Still, the enthusiast transmission is a manual, in my opinion.

CCCC

(edited for punctuation)
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#50]
A 914-6 or a late model 912 would dust the same year Vette when driven in real world circumstances.

As for racing on track, Porsche pulled back after dominating the field for thirty years to develop their F1 prospect. They are still beating the snot out of everyone in GT class. Calling the Riley & Scott a "Corvette" is like calling a MP5 the same as a SW5.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top