Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2002 6:18:33 AM EDT
What is the deal with this?  I recently signed up for 2 cell phones.  Went to numerous carriers.   Every  single one wanted my SS# as part of the application.

And they always said it was for their "credit check".

BS.  You do not need a SS# to check someones credit.   TRW can do it just fine.

I did not sign up with several of them despite having credit card in hand and ready to rock.   Guess I  need to start making a custom fit tinfoil hat next huh?
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 6:22:20 AM EDT
[#1]
My boss handed us the standard Internet Usage Policy to sign, and it included a spot for our SSN?  I asked him why, and explained that I was a victim of identity theft in the late 80s - early 90s.  I told him to check with Legal about the issues of using the SSN on non-payroll documents.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#2]
You may be correct about your ssn.  However trying to keep it confidential starting NOW is probably a waste of your paranoia.

In VA they use your ssn as you drivers license #...
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You may be correct about your ssn.  However trying to keep it confidential starting NOW is probably a waste of your paranoia.

In VA they use your ssn as you drivers license #...
View Quote

Not any more. You can and should request a drivers license without your SSN. The new DL#s start with T (Example T61-555-1212).
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#4]
a couple years ago, you shoulda seem my 85 yo mother in Law fight that issue with the phone company!

'When President Roosevelt gave me this SSN he said I wasn't to give it to anyone, etc, etc!"

God, it was funny! She stuck to her guns and told them that if they needed credit info, that a credit card # was what they needed, NOT and SSN.

She won, but I'm sure they got her SSN through the back door, via the credit card company.

Sure was funny to watch, though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#5]
This page might be a bit out dated but it's still worth checking out.

[url]http://www.networkusa.org/fingerprint/page6/fp-ssnfaq.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanhks for the stories and links.  I think I'm gonna write some letters to the two companies that refused me phone service without a  SS#.  let them know they  lost bgusiness because of their policy.  Seems that is the most I can do.

Link Posted: 11/26/2002 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember when the military changed over from service numbers they issued to ssns. Kind of hard to keep it a secret when it is stenciled on the side of your duffel bag etc.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is the deal with this?  I recently signed up for 2 cell phones.  Went to numerous carriers.   Every  single one wanted my SS# as part of the application.
View Quote

AT&T is one of a number of wireless phone service providers that offer a pre-paid cellphone where you don't have to submit any valid information.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top