Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2013 8:53:49 AM EDT
With the help of dryflash3 I was able to get a load together that shot pretty accurately out of the SBR..  Tac-TSX bullets over 20.0 grains of W296, OAL of 2.25", and loaded with Wolf SRM primers.  Got it sighted in the other day and went hunting with my oldest son this morning.  This little guy (button buck) came trotting up on us and was around 75 yards out when we saw him and I shot him when he got to around 50 yards or so (what I sighted it in at).  FWIW, he was at our 10:00 around 30 feet below us further down the hill, hence the path of the hit on the deer.  I tried to neck shoot him so I could cut his spine, but he hopped a stick in his path just as I squeezed off the round.  Therefore, the round impacted low, and instead of going through the middle of his neck as intended, it skimmed just below the surface and did this to him:  No... I didn't cut it with the knife.  That's what the TAC-TSX did to him.

It obviously is a nasty-looking wound, but it's not a quick-kill wound.  Instead of the deer running away from us, he stumbled up the hill and walked broadside to us around 15 yards away.  He stopped when I snorted at him and given the position of the original wound, I figured I'd put one at the tail-end of it to finish him off and cut his spine.

Here is the 2nd shot entrance.. it's the round hole toward the end of the original wound (below my thumb).:

He dropped like a sack of rocks, and once I got him gutted out I looked inside... you can see that it cut the spine in half.

The Tac-TSX bullet blasted the spine and continued out through the far side.  It appeared to have hit the top of the lungs going through as they were bruised/cut a little bit on the top of them (and he had some blood coming out his nose).  I couldn't find the bullet even though there were several trees on the far side of him it could have hit... Sorry guys... would have loved to have found it.

Anyway, it's nice to have some success with the new SBR.  Yes, it's a first-year deer, but I hunt for meat and not for racks, and from what we've found over the years the first year deer are the tastiest of them all.

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#1]
You  shoot small dags!!!!

Should be some tender sweet meat!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#2]

I hate to say it, but I agree on the younger ones tasting better.

I don't hunt them on purpose though, but if they present, and you have no other options, nothing wrong with taking them.

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Fuck peta nice results
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats OP.

Nice looking dag and rifle.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Good to know. Plan on doing the same at some point with that Tac-X load.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#6]
mmmm...
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#7]
You murdered Bambi!

Just kidding. Nice deer.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Nice shot.
I have that same knife. Love it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice chihuahua.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#10]

the smaller ones do taste better
what Benchmade knife is that ?
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife prefers i shoot small does for the same reason. They taste better.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Did you at least wipe the milk off its chin before you shot the spots off it?

Just kidding...good kill.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Good shoot and nice set-up, is that a folding stock adapter? Not trying to hijack.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#14]
A .22lr is plenty for WV sized deer.
Good shooting BTW.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Presidio, auto.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Presidio, auto.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Presidio, auto.

523 presidio tanto. Wish it was the auto... But with a quick flick of your wrist it'll come right out, though.

The last couple small deer we got were really tasty. Tenderloin from the young ones are small, but they're delicious.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good shoot and nice set-up, is that a folding stock adapter? Not trying to hijack.
View Quote

Yes, it is the folding stock adapter. The only gripe I have with it is if I get my face too far forward on the stock it hits me in the mouth.

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice shot, I bet it will be yummy.

And I agree the smaller ones are tastier.  The 100lb doe I shot last year was unspeakably good.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Was it's mother okay or did you wait for it to let go of the tit before you shot?  

Just busting your balls a little. That should be some fine eating.. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#20]
What's the bullet weight?
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#21]
That looks delicious, nice rifle btw.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#22]
If you hunt for meet then aim for the head.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like to meat people who think like that. Loose less meet that way.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What's the bullet weight?
View Quote

110 grain tac-tsx. It's the black tip round.

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I always feel warm and fuzzy when someone shoots a deer.  more so if it is with a 300 blk.

that will be some tender meat.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would have had he not been bobbing around so much.  Figured a spine shot would work, though, and since I cut up my own meat,  I don't lose much at all compared to taking it to a place to have it done.

Could have shot him in the head on the last shot, but since we were on a ridge and if I'd missed it would have meant the round would have headed over the hill and toward houses, I figured a shot through the area that was already torn up some wouldn't matter as much.

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That looks delicious, nice rifle btw.
View Quote

It's a superior arms lower I sbr'd several years ago.  The upper, except for the rail, is from core15. It has their 9.5" SS barrel on it.  The scope is a 1 - 4 X unit from Primary Arms, and the mount is theirs as well. It has the Magpul lockable stock on it, along with the swivel adapter from law tactical.

I sent the paperwork in on a yhm-3300 about 2 weeks ago, but they still haven't even cashed the check yet. Hope I get in the system soon because I have to do it on a trust since our sheriff here in Kanawha County is an anti gun moron.

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#28]
That young little thing should be damn tender.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Another little dog shot.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Another little dog shot.
View Quote

I shot one a few years ago that was even smaller. The meat from that one was more tender than any beef I've ever had.

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I shot one a few years ago that was even smaller. The meat from that one was more tender than any beef I've ever had.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another little dog shot.

'cause it was still feeding on Mother's milk...............  I thought we had small deer in NorCal
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#32]
The other 'Veal', gonna be a sweet sweet meal or 10

What would you say the velocity of that round is? you pushing it sub? not familiar with the bullet so I don't know it's weight. Nice shot at a pretty steep angle, that one heck of an exit though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#33]
The younger ones might taste better, but the older ones have a lot more experience.

Oh wait, you were talking about the deer?
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#34]
We have coyotes that big..backstraps for  one???
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Followed up from the master 300 thread. Good shoot, and thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Engrish prease.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#37]
that bambi is gonna be good eating.

I am jonesing for a 300 real bad....
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I was kicked out of a hunt club one year because my grandson shot a button buck while he was with me in the stand. We originally thought it was a doe. We took pics and took him to camp, dressed him, quartered him, put him on ice. Ate grilled loin for dinner with a family we were friends with. Drank with the club crew that night. Finished the weekend, went home, and got a call from the club president on Monday. "You're not the type of hunter we want in our club. We only kill trophy bucks here."

Fucking dipshit had killed a 6 point 110 pounder that same weekend.

Hunters can be really weird.

That meat was excellent, btw.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

'cause it was still feeding on Mother's milk...............  I thought we had small deer in NorCal
View Quote

It was a first year fawn. .. We were given a buck a couple weeks ago by a guy who works with my sister that we probably got 80 to 90 lbs of meat from. That deer was big.

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:  from what we've found over the years the first year deer are the tastiest of them all.  
View Quote

Agreed.  I also love veal.    
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What would you say the velocity of that round is? you pushing it sub? not familiar with the bullet so I don't know it's weight. Nice shot at a pretty steep angle, that one heck of an exit though.
View Quote

From what I've read, it's probably around 2100 fps out of a 9.5" barrel. I really need to get a chronograph.

In order to shoot subs that will actually cycle, I think you need to have 180 grain bullets, minimum. Don't quote me, though. . That's a question for somebody else whose done it. I've only shot factory 220 subs as well as 230 grain lead hand loads from my lee mold.

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

He went for a neck shot and the thing moved.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I was kicked out of a hunt club one year because my grandson shot a button buck while he was with me in the stand. We originally thought it was a doe. We took pics and took him to camp, dressed him, quartered him, put him on ice. Ate grilled loin for dinner with a family we were friends with. Drank with the club crew that night. Finished the weekend, went home, and got a call from the club president on Monday. "You're not the type of hunter we want in our club. We only kill trophy bucks here."

View Quote

Good description on why I'll never join a hunting "club"/cock measuring sword fest. Can't eat antlers and I can hit a deer with my van. They are fun to shoot and eat no matter what the size.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I have zero desire to hunt for trophys, not that I care if someone else does.
When I kill things it's because they are a pest, dangerous, or tasty. Nice deer, OP.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 4:23:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Good description on why I'll never join a hunting "club"/cock measuring sword fest. Can't eat antlers and I can hit a deer with my van. They are fun to shoot and eat no matter what the size.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i completely agree.  i looked into a few of the clubs around my area and no thank you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:48:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Nice kill.  I have no problem taking what is legal.  I killed an antelope fawn buck this year on my doe tag (long shot with .30-06).  Tastes GREAT!

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 3:52:52 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I like to meat people who think like that. Loose less meet that way weigh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I like to meat people who think like that. Loose less meet that way weigh.

FIFY

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:05:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 4:51:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

FIFY

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like to meat people who think like that. Loose less meet that way weigh whey.

FIFY

FIFY.

Nice deer, nice gun.  Good shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top