Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2002 5:26:23 PM EDT

Copied and pasted from Glock Talk from a local. Not too sure if it is 100% true yet or not. God, I hope not...

Promoters for Land of the Sky guns shows and C and E gun shows were notified by their insurance underwriter that they would no longer insure gun shows as they were "too risky".

Real reason is that 9-11 drained them.

We have a SERIOUS problem.

I would guess that both promoter's web sites will have further info on this.

http://cegunshows.com

www.mikekentshows.com

Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Well the Asheville show stinks. Doesn't mean I like this but there are better shows elsewhere. I just have to find them.

CRC
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#2]
i would just hold them without insurance.

have patrons sighn a statement that they accept all responsability for there actions and that if injured/killed in the event of (god only knows what) they would not hold the sponsors responsable.

sueing the perpetrator on the other hand goes without saying..
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]
USMCsilver,

Hey neighbor, I hope to god you are wrong. I'll have to move!! I live for the C&E gun shows at Charlotte. I didnt see anything on eather web site saying anything about this, hope its an "urban legend". Let us pray!!

DoorKicker6
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny, the Old Dominion Show in December hasn't been canceled in Fishersville.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope your shows in NC are not going away.  If insurance is the problem, there may be other coverage.  I haven't heard any similar rumblings about Eastman or Ga. Mountain Production shows here in Georgia.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#6]
This is from [url]cegunshows.com[/url]

ATTACKS ON GUN SHOWS EXPECTED SOON

The gun control lobby that calls itself "Americans for Gun Safety" (AGS) is poised to move forward with its campaign of exploiting the terrorist attacks of September 11 in order to further its anti-Second Amendment agenda.  AGS has shamelessly attempted to deceive the American public into believing that terrorists who are aided by renegade countries that support their murderous agenda with military arms and training, as well as millions of dollars -- are shopping at your local gun shows right alongside law-abiding hunters, collectors, and those interested in personal protection.  U.S. Senator John McCain (R-Ariz.) -- the foremost spokesman for AGS in the U.S. Senate -- has teamed up with anti-gun U.S. Senators Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.), Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.), and Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), and we expect them to try to force a vote in the Senate on their anti-gun show bill, S. 890, some time between now and Independence Day.  S. 890 is designed to run gun shows out of business through a variety of registration and licensing schemes -- and is clearly the first step towards the true goal of banning all legal private sales, including those between friends and family.

It is critical that you contact your U.S. Senators today and urge them to oppose S. 890 when it is brought up for consideration. You can reach your U.S. Senators by calling the U.S. Senate switchboard at (202) 224-3121.  Just ask for your Senators` offices, or give the operator your state. For additional contact information, use the "Write Your Reps" tool at www.NRAILA.org.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
USMCsilver,

Hey neighbor, I hope to god you are wrong. I'll have to move!! I live for the C&E gun shows at Charlotte. I didnt see anything on eather web site saying anything about this, hope its an "urban legend". Let us pray!!

DoorKicker6
View Quote

Hello there; my KAC bi-pod mount should arrive tomorrow (I hope).

Anyway, the Charlotte show rocks!  I try to get up there for every show I can.  It is only about 1.25 hours away and it is usually well worth my drive.  I'd be willing to pay $10 to get in the door if I need to.  I sure do hope this is just a bad, cruel joke.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Got one in Birmingham this weekend, guess I'll be going again..[:D]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Updated info from same source:

While at a gun show in Florence, SC this weekend I spoke directly with Mike Kent, who is the promoter for Land of the Sky Gun shows (they do shows in your state as well).

The respective organizer's web sites don't have this info yet, as the underwriters dropped this bombshell on them on Friday.

The big problem is that there are very few companies which underwrite liability policies for gun shows. From what Mr. Kent told me, there is only one company...and they pulled the plug.

The Metrolina show you plan on attending might very well be the last gun show held there if it is even held at all.

I will post information as I find it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like pressure from the antis on the insurance co. to me.  If gun shows are profitable, however, I'm sure some promoter will find a way to hold them.  I've had mixed feelings about the Dixie Gun & Knife Classic in NC, it's a bit, well, stagnant and it's gotten so that there are only about three dealers at the show I would even buy from anymore, and frankly, I've only been finding good deals on things like primers and powder lately.  Too many really big idiots, crooks, and plain old losers manning the tables.  Private sales have disappeared almost completely, and trying to sell guns there, I've run into guys who I am almost dead certain are undercover LEOs trying to make an illegal buy and entrap me.

I wouldn't want to see it go away though, I certainly enjoy the people watching if nothing else!  But it's getting so that everyone there just buys their wares out of Shotgun News, tacks on a 15-50% markup, and takes advantage of the hicks who don't know any better.

Link Posted: 11/25/2002 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#11]
THERE IS HOPE!!!!!!!

I just got this reply from Susan at C&E gun shows. I'll get to go to Charlotte in December after all!! I can stop fasting and singing cume-by-ya!!!

From Susan @ C&E

DoorKicker6,

"We have not cancelled any shows."

"We will definitely be in Charlotte Dec 14-15....
the show is sold out for tables.
it should be a real good one.
If it becomes necessary to cancel a show in the future then it will be on
the homepage of my website."

Susan
C&E Gun Shows
www.cegunshows.com

CAN I GET A "HELL YEA"!!!!!

DoorKicker6, clear and happy!!
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Funny, the Old Dominion Show in December hasn't been canceled in Fishersville.  
View Quote

I haven't heard of a show in Fishersville in ages. What's the date of that show Redmanfms?
Thanks.
MM419
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i would just hold them without insurance.
View Quote

What if the State/city/town requires them to have insurance?

have patrons sighn a statement that they accept all responsability for there actions and that if injured/killed in the event of (god only knows what) they would not hold the sponsors responsable.
View Quote

That doesn't always work either. Every ticket for a sporting event or concert has a liability disclaimer printed on the back. Yet somehow there have been lawsuits brought against promoters of those events through no fault of their own. Never underestimate the stupidity of a jury.
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok everyone, I talked to Susan at C&E Gun Shows, here is their "OFFICIAL" responce.

DoorKicker,

Here is Steve's response...

Important--Please Note--
   No show of ours or anyone else's has been cancelled due to insurance
problems at this time.
   While it is true that our current insurance provider has notified us
(National Association of Arms Shows) that our policy would not be renewed
when it expires, there are other companies interested in the business.
At this time we are diligently working to secure new insurance and are
confident that insurance will be obtained and no shows will have to be
cancelled.
   We greatly appreciate the concern of all our patrons and will keep
everyone updated about this problem via our website,  www.cegunshows.com .
   Please also remember...No Loaded Weapons at any show, be safe!  We don't
need any insurance claims.

Steven Elliott
C&E Gun Shows
NAAS Board Of Directors
NRA Life Member
Link Posted: 11/27/2002 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#15]
What is up with John McCain?

That guy seems to be with the Dems on every serious issue.

Hey AZ members, is his seat safe or is there movement in the Rep. party to show him the door despite his seniority?

-Z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top