Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/27/2013 3:33:38 AM EDT
It's called a "brass check", not a "press check". The name comes from looking into the breech to see brass to double-check that a round got chambered. I started hearing people call it "press check" and at first, I thought I was just hearing them wrong. Now I see people actually writing "press check" all over the place. The best I can figure out is that someone somewhere heard a shooter say "brass check" and thought they heard "press check". Well, tell me then, what in the hell do I "press" on an AR to do a brass check?

Yes, I realize the horse is out of the barn. It's now "press check" forever. But just know that whenever you use that term, people who know better will think less of you.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:36:54 AM EDT
[#1]
What about nickel plated cases?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:38:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Chris Costa calls it press check.

Watch magpuls: the art of the tactical carbine.  They have a whole section on press checks.  error brass checks. lol.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:39:55 AM EDT
[#3]
This is how that works in the real world:

"Make sure you do a brass check."

"What's a brass check?"

"When you pull the slide back to see if there's a round in the chamber."

"Oh! You mean press check!"
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Jeff Cooper called it a press check
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:41:11 AM EDT
[#5]
How old are you?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:41:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:41:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about nickel plated cases?
View Quote

Nickel Plate Check, duh.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:42:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Who gives a fuck really.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:42:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Chris Costa calls it press check.
View Quote

Welp, that explains it. Damn Coasties pretending to be Marines.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:43:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought press check meant ejecting the full magazine...feeling the top of it...and putting it back into the the weapon.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:44:07 AM EDT
[#11]
13ers...

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:45:05 AM EDT
[#12]
When you arrive to the party really late you can forget about making up any of the rules.

Press check.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:47:26 AM EDT
[#13]
OP, I'm totally with you on this.  But where were you 7 years ago?????

All you guns just now getting into super uber tactical driving your guns that you run on a platform is just comical now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:48:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Is this a thing now? I thought it was movie bullshit. Guess I'm not tier one enough.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:48:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Who gives a fuck really.
View Quote

/\
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:49:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Jeff Cooper had a speech impediment, and it's all his fault.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:49:53 AM EDT
[#17]
How do you do it in a muzzle loader?  
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:50:16 AM EDT
[#18]
What if I only use steel cased ammo?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:50:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Way back in the 80's I believe...

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:51:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:51:46 AM EDT
[#21]
John Farnum calls it,"Press Check."
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:52:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I though a press check was when you pressed the forward assist to confirm the bolt was closed, a chamber check was when you confirmed a round in the chamber or not, and a brass check was when you went up and groped the crotch of a suspected tranny?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:53:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's called a "brass check", not a "press check". The name comes from looking into the breech to see brass to double-check that a round got chambered. I started hearing people call it "press check" and at first, I thought I was just hearing them wrong. Now I see people actually writing "press check" all over the place. The best I can figure out is that someone somewhere heard a shooter say "brass check" and thought they heard "press check". Well, tell me then, what in the hell do I "press" on an AR to do a brass check?

Yes, I realize the horse is out of the barn. It's now "press check" forever. But just know that whenever you use that term, people who know better will think less of you.
View Quote

This is what a paragraph of nobody cares looks like.  Jeff Cooper has used the term since at least the 80's, using the term "press check" on a pistol would be perfectly appropriate and is more descriptive than brass check for the average shooter.  Your rant is therefore, at worst idioti,c and at best, 13'er.  Were you the guy that tried to kill the telephone because the telegraph worked just fine?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:56:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I always do a press check to make sure my bannana clip went all the way in.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 3:59:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Oh, I’m sorry...

I must have clicked on the who gives a
fuck forum by mistake...

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:00:04 AM EDT
[#26]
OP if it helps, yuo are pressing the release latch on the charging handle of your AR to retract the bolt assembly to see if there is a round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:04:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Who gives a fuck really.
View Quote

I don't really give a fuck. But I sort of do, because words mean things. The name "brass check" relays information about what in the hell we're actually doing. And just like the name "press check" has been passed around the cargo-culted, so has the actual check and the reason for it. Now, mainly, people do it because they see other people do it but many of them have no idea why they're supposed to do it. "Oh, I just press the slide back to make sure it's not binding and make sure the slide will cycle" or some other dumbass reason. In a world of acronyms and marketing bullshit, good, descriptive, self-explanatory names are hard to come by. So I hate to see one just tossed aside for no good reason. But other than that, I guess I really don't give a fuck.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:06:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:07:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I though a press check was when you pressed the forward assist to confirm the bolt was closed, a chamber check was when you confirmed a round in the chamber or not, and a brass check was when you went up and groped the crotch of a suspected tranny?
View Quote

The easier way is to get their number,  take them out for a few drinks,  take them home,  have sexy time,  and tell your friends that you scored with a chick.

Much preferable to sexual assault charges for crotch grabbing.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:08:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Who made you the official lexicographer for the shooting sports?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:12:03 AM EDT
[#31]
"Press check" is an industrial process term. Its the final check before a process begins.

Its been used for 100+ years.

WTF is a brass check?

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:13:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly earlier.

Quoted:
Pressing on the front of the slide opens the ejection port enough to see if a round is in there.

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:15:39 AM EDT
[#33]
One must always press check whilst in Thailand.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:17:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's the basis for your belief that it's called a "brass check"? IE Where'd I'd you hear that?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:20:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Oh, sure, and I guess the next thing you're going to correct us on is that they're magazines, not clips?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:20:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

what in the hell do I "press" on an AR to do a brass check?
View Quote

The trigger. If it fires, there was brass in there.  

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:20:39 AM EDT
[#37]
press check is a 1911 term that is now universal for all arms.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:21:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Who gives a fuck really.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:22:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's been called a press check for as long as I can remember.

Brass Check? Never heard of her.
View Quote

Yep

OP is making up terms and trying to pretend they are legit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:24:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Visual aid..

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:25:45 AM EDT
[#41]
I have never heard anyone ever call it a brass check.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I have NEVER heard anybody ever say "brass check"

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#43]
It's a press check when you do it on a semi-auto pistol with a slide, on all others it's "Checking to see if this mother fucker's loaded."

Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pressing on the front of the slide opens the ejection port enough to see if a round is in there.

So again...what do I "press" on an AR?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:30:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Possibly earlier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly earlier.

Marines have been doing "brass checks" at least since the Vietnam war because I remember reading it in a memoir in high school. And Marines were still calling it "brass check" when I went through MCRD and in the fleet in the 90s. I have no idea when this "press check" took hold, maybe it was Cooper in the 80s. Don't know, don't really care. Call it what you want. But know that it makes you sound dumb to people who know better.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:30:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
press check is a 1911 term that is now universal for all arms.
View Quote

This 13er has it right.   Started with the 1911, just like always.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:34:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

(Running it through the Universal Translator)....

I'm new to this whole shooting thing, and I've decided to make up new terms for everything.  All of you, listen to my vast knowledge and use my terms from now on.
View Quote

Holy Christ!  Is that you, Nuts-so-Fancy?
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:35:33 AM EDT
[#48]
The only "brass check" I have ever done was when the Drill Sergeant was getting us off a live fire range and you stuck your arms out and sounded off with "No brass, no ammo Drill Sergeant!"  Then he patted you down, hit you in the nuts, and you walked your happy as back to the bay.
Now if you're talking about checking the chamber for a round, "press check" is the term.  On an AR pattern rifle you press or pull the charging handle to the rear (depends if you want to use your fingers or the palm of your hand) and visually look in the chamber for the glint of brass (or for you nickel guys... the gleam of silver).
Anything else?

Oh, by the way, I'm a dumbass 13er.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:35:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Dupe, 13er misfire.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 4:38:27 AM EDT
[#50]
I have always heard press check for pistols and chamber check for rifles/shotguns. Never heard brass check.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top