Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2002 6:22:56 AM EDT
El Tour de Tucson is over.

After just a bit over seven hours, I finished the 108 miles.  I was hoping for 6.5 hours or less, and was making a great pace to do it.  But at around 75 miles, I hit the wall.  Headwind and slight incline slowed me down immensly.  I was so tired.  My neck and back were aching.  But the whole time, I thought it was fun anyway.  

Downhills were fun (33.6 mph elbow to elbow with a huge pack of cyclists).  Scarry for a guy who has only ridden alone.  But I got the hang of it.  

It was amazing how many spectators/supporters there were just hanging out on the roads cheering.   That really helped, especially on the hills.  

I had to pee really badly for the first 60 miles or so.  Kept thinking "Okay, I'll stop at mile 20, no... 30, no....40.."  I didn't stop till 60 or 70 miles.  My bladder was gonna explode, so I used the portajohn (big mistake, I had to wait 5 minutes.  I shoulda just used the bushes).  I took off and kept going.  

My camelback (I froze it), did not thaw out until the 80th mile or so.  I only had 2 bottles  during that whole time, so when the camel back finally was drinkable, it was like heaven.

Anyway, It was really fun.  THanks for everyone's help and tips.  

PS,
I'm sore.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 7:51:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations!!!

Riding a bicycle 100 miles in one day is a great acomplishment. Don't wory about the time. You did good.

How much weight have you lost since taking up this sport?
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

I don't know about my weight.

I bought the bike about a year ago.  Road infrequently for a while.  Was about 190lbs Then I went to Alaska and worked on a trawling vessel.  18 hours/day,  7days/week.  104 days.
I lost about 25lbs there.

Came back, sat around for a couple months, resting.  Gained most of it back, although I haven't been on a scale.  

In the past few months, I've been  swimming/running/biking/lifting. (My goal with the cycling is for triathlons.  I'm signed up for one in April). So I'm losing weight again quickly.  Guess I need to step on a scale.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats.  Century rides are always tons of fun.  For your first century, thats not a bad time at all.  Good luck with the rest of your training.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of bike did you use????Congrats!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad to hear that you survived and kept the rubber side down. Every time that I've done it the first river crossing seems to be the pee zone. Pretty funny watching guys shoulder their bikes and try to run while peeing at the same time.

I'll never forget that time in Marana that I was lined up for a time trial and some cute little girl asked me to hold her bike. She then walked five feet over to the side of the road and pulled down her skinsuit to pee................did I just say that out loud.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'll never forget that time in Marana that I was lined up for a time trial and some cute little girl asked me to hold her bike. She then walked five feet over to the side of the road and pulled down her skinsuit to pee................did I just say that out loud.
View Quote

Damn,  I need to ride with more girls like that.  Hell, I'll take riding with any female.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Damn,  I need to ride with more girls like that.  Hell, I'll take riding with [red]any[/red] female.
View Quote

[img]http://www.gambits.com/childers/janet-reno-update.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#8]
That was just plain wrong and disgusting.  

I renig that statement to almost any female, and politely ask you to not to blind me with horrifically disgusting pictures like that ever again.  Thank You.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top