Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2002 11:14:58 PM EDT
Hi all,
I'm wondering what is the best gas mask/ filter and chemical protection suit available for a civilian to buy and where to buy it.  U.S. -M17A1-A2? Green ring filters?  What about the Israeli? Canadian? Russian? British? NATO cartridge?  Which cartridges are more available?  How about the mask and weapon interference? As anyone seen or used the Korean K1 mask? I was told they are very good?
What about Chemical Suit/Gloves? [?]
Thanks in advance!

[0J]
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#1]
    !             Nobody             !

[shock]  
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#3]
All I can say is avoid old surplus items. These are often outdated and ineffective. For a mask, look to pay at least $150 to get something that offers any real protection. You can do an online search and find some good ones no problem. Sorry, can't remember any URL's offhand. But just remember to avoid large urban areas or other areas that could be heavily populated/occupied.....if you are really concerned about some sort of chemical or biological attack. Those are the areas most likely to be effected. I am in a rural area and don't really see any need for gas masks.

BTW, why the sudden interest in gas masks? You know something the rest of us don't? Just curious.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Gas Mask:
Try to get a new or near new US M-40 or a MCU-2
Get as many NBC filters as you can!

NBC Suits:
I have a few that are still in the wrap from the 90's and I have opened one, it looks good enough to use. I don't see how these could break down in under 20 years. its charcoal for god sakes.

You may also want to look at buying Iodate(Spelling??) tablets and a decontamination kit.

Good Luck!

Oh yeah, don't forget NBC boot covers too!
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/[/url]

Can't be a bad idea to have one for each of your family in your B.O.B. (God forbid you are actually prepared for anything, right?)

Stay away from surplus; It will kill you.   Be prepared to spend $150-250 per mask for a current, Mil-spec, commercially produced mask.  Consider a model with fittings for a drinking tube set-up and get that set-up as well.  

Also, learn how to don the thing properly and be able to recognize the conditions where the pro-mask is required.  Studying Army manuals should help there.  

If you can afford it, this is one area NOT to go cheap.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#6]

BTW, why the sudden interest in gas masks? You know something the rest of us don't? Just curious.
View Quote

Thanks for all the great input! CH, I didn't mean to alarm anyone.  My brother has been bugging me and my family to get protected "just in case" Are we Paranoid... maybe..  Proactive- Yes. Seeing how the next Superbowl will be here and having just watched "Sum of all Fears" has me thinking a little more lately-(Anyone see it?) Besides the News headlines stating "A Spectacular Al Qaida Event Planned" WTF is that?  Magnum your right on !  I Wont go cheap- I hope to God we never have to use them.
Best Wishes to All
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#7]
[url=members.tripod.com/~nbcguy/masks1.html]Gas Mask Reviews[/url]

The big drawback to the M17' is that the mask has to be removed to replace the filters.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I see your point boggl, and I agree it's better to be prepared than not. If I lived near a larger town or city, or was near the area where a major sporting event or such was to take place, I think I too would opt for masks. The good thing is, security around the SuperBowl will be very tight, so maybe that'll help some.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#10]
If it involves being in MOPP 4 for more than a few hours I would rather die. By the way, the suits are only good for 8 hours, then you have to put on a new one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top