BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2002 12:59:23 PM EDT
Pubs fined because drinkers also dance

Friday November 22, 2002

By JANE WARDELL
Associated Press Writer

LONDON (AP) You're drinking with friends in a pub in London's lively West End when a catchy tune comes on the jukebox and you begin swaying to the music. Stop right there you might be on the verge of breaking the law.

A British pub chain was fined $7,850 after undercover inspectors caught a few patrons dancing at two of its popular bars. The crime: flouting licensing laws that ban ``rhythmic moving.''

Another pub where customers were found ``swaying'' was served two written warnings.

Under British law, dancing is only allowed in pubs that have public entertainment licenses. But getting the license from local governments can be an expensive and overly bureaucratic process and, consequently, only around 5 percent of pubs, restaurants and nightclubs currently allow live entertainment and dancing.

``We have spent ages trying to stop people dancing. We have signs up everywhere. Managers instruct customers. We turn the music down, rearrange the furniture and so on,'' said Derek Andrews, spokesman for Wolverhampton & Dudley Breweries, owners of the Pitcher & Piano chain, which pleaded guilty to the offenses at a London magistrates court Wednesday.

Undercover inspectors from Westminster Council spotted a clear breach when they paid a visit to a Pitcher & Piano bar in the West End and found four people dancing to recorded music.

A return visit to the same pub caught another five people in the act while a check on another Pitcher & Piano bar discovered a group of 11 drinkers indulging in ``rhythmic moving.''

For those unsure about whether their movements constitute dancing, Westminster Council believes the rules are clear.

``Dancing could be described as the rhythmic moving of the legs, arms and body, usually changing positions within the floor space available and whether or not accompanied by musical support,'' Bob Currie, director of the council's community protection department said in a letter to an industry newspaper, The Publican.

Westminster Council said the two pubs had ignored advice that they were encouraging dancing and should apply for an entertainment license.

Without the license, pubs also are barred from allowing more than two musicians to perform at the same time.

The British government last week proposed changes to the licensing laws that would allow pubs to stay open later than the traditional 11 p.m. closing time. The proposals do not address dancing.

Andrews insisted that Wolverhampton & Dudley tried to comply with all the ``minute details'' of the licensing laws.

He said: ``On a personal note, I would like to say that, to the best of my knowledge, spontaneous dancing is not in the top 10 lists of great social ills of our time.''
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure they had the best interests of the people in mind when they made that rule.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Where is the MMM, or the brady center, what about if it saves just one dancer lets do it for the children.....OH THE HUMANITY!!![rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Senator Joseph Biden is trying to pass a law that would outlaw "raves".  It's the stupidest, most oppressive law I've ever heard of; outlawing dance parties because people sometimes go to them on drugs.

And if it passes, how are they going to define "raves"?  All they are, really, is a DJ'd dance party.  High school dances fit that description.  I often went to dances all fucked up, does that mean we now ban school dances?  It's completely insane.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Piercings Dildos and Dancing.

It's all connected, I tell you.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I think we should send Kevin Bacon to merry ole' England on a rescue mission.

[img]http://www.fast-rewind.com/footlse4.jpg[/img]

I been working so hard
Keep punching my card
Eight hours, for what?
Oh, tell me what I got

I get this feeling
That time's just holding me down
I'll hit the ceiling
Or else I'll tear up this town

Tonight I gotta cut

(Chorus)
Loose, footloose
Kick off your Sunday shoes
Please, Louise
Pull me offa my knees
Jack, get back
C'mon before we crack
Lose your blues
Everybody cut footloose

You're playing so cool
Obeying every rule
Dig way down in your heart
You're yearning, burning for some

Somebody to tell you
That life ain't passing you by
I'm trying to tell you
It will if you don't even try

You can fly if you'd only cut

(Chorus)
Loose, footloose
Kick off your Sunday shoes
Oowhee, Marie
Shake it, shake it for me
Whoa, Milo
C'mon, c'mon let go
Lose your blues
Everybody cut footloose

FIRST - we got to turn you around
SECOND - You put your feet on the ground
THIRD - Now take a hold of your soul
FOUR - Whooooooooa, I'm turning it

Loose, FOOTLOOSE

(Chorus)
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#6]
[img]http://www.fast-rewind.com/footlse4.jpg[/img]
Nice tie.  Do they sell men's clothes where you bought that?z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top