Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/16/2013 5:26:21 PM EDT
What's the feeling on him?  He was doing a book signing today and I stood in line for 3 hours for a couple of books.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
He did his duty, then was the scape goat.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I like him.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Honorable man, IMO.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#5]
He's an upright American.  

Watching him during a night class in college during the Senate hearings in the late '80s made liberal heads explode.  It was fucking beautiful.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#6]
He's a lying piece of shit. Fuck him, fuck his (what I presume is) ugly fucking wife, fuck his entire career that he shit on by accepting the award for what he didn't fucking do in Helmand, and fuck his couch.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
He's a lying piece of shit. Fuck him, fuck his (what I presume is) ugly fucking wife, fuck his entire career that he shit on by accepting the award for what he didn't fucking do in Helmand, and fuck his couch.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, he isn't. That award he accepted for pulling Marines out of a burning vic in 08 is a total fabrication. He was in the convoy, but he never got out of his truck, much less lift a finger to help the wounded. Fuck him.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No, he isn't. That award he accepted for pulling Marines out of a burning vic in 08 is a total fabrication. He was in the convoy, but he never got out of his truck, much less lift a finger to help the wounded. Fuck him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you know this how?  Were you there?
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Great American who did what he thought was right.

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always liked him.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was my unit. I wasn't in the convoy. Many of the witnesses are close friends of mine as are the guys that were in that truck. Every one of them will stand in line to beat his ass. Fuck him.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I worked on a program that he came in and out of.  He was a serious, straight shooter, determined and doing some very tough work.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How come I never heard about this?  Maybe you're talking about a different Oliver North?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I watched much of the hearings back in the 80's when he was being grilled on Iran-Contra.  Him and Admiral Poindexter were tossed to the wolves by Reagan (you know, the best President ever) to avert attention from Reagan who was actually the guy who most likely gave the go ahead to give weapons to Iran in the hope they would release some US hostages they had, and the US government then used the money they got for those arms to finance anti-communist guerrillas in Nicaragua.  Of course President Reagan said he had no idea any of this happened and of course, did not approve it because he knew nothing about it. (Sound familiar?  Like The Obama a few days ago?)  He later took full blame but by then a shit load of careers of some loyal and effective Officers and high level people were ruined.

Lt. Col. North, during the hearings, wore his Marine Corps uniform, sat ramrod straight in the official manner and was every bit the military man in the way he answered and conducted himself.  The turning point when North became a hero was when he made the pronouncement on live TV he would go "Mano a Mano" with whatever terrorist was trying to kill him, anytime at anyplace.  Right after that, within a day or so, the whole tone of hatred by the Select Committee against him changed to near manlove since it was clear the politicians poll numbers were dropping while Ollies numbers were skyrocketing.  It didn't help the politicians that North's secretary was a very loyal and smoking hottie chick.

He was later convicted of lying to Congress but his conviction was later overturned.  While his actions were somewhat questionable way back then, there is no doubt Lt. Col. North is a patriot and loves this country.  Which is more than we can say for our current leadership.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Thrown to the wolves.

A good man in my book.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How come I never heard about this?  Maybe you're talking about a different Oliver North?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious as well.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:03:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It was my unit. I wasn't in the convoy. Many of the witnesses are close friends of mine as are the guys that were in that truck. Every one of them will stand in line to beat his ass. Fuck him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did this occur?
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Good man the Reagan witch hunt commies on congress made into a villain to hurt admin. Luckily all his convictions were overturned, he would have been pardoned anyway, but over turned shows the witch hunt.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm curious as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious as well.

I was erroneous when I said he received the award. His cameraman, Chris Jackson, received the Navy Distinguished Public Service Award for the deed. Oliver North was the guest speaker at our Marine Corps ball that year and said he assisted in pulling guys out.
I was wrong to say he got the medal. It's been a few years and I didn't recall the situation correctly. I just verified the actual story. No excuse, and I jumped the gun.
Fuck him all the same.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was erroneous when I said he received the award. His cameraman, Chris Jackson, received the Navy Distinguished Public Service Award for the deed. Oliver North was the guest speaker at our Marine Corps ball that year and said he assisted in pulling guys out.
I was wrong to say he got the medal. It's been a few years and I didn't recall the situation correctly. I just verified the actual story. No excuse, and I jumped the gun.
Fuck him all the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious as well.

Fuck him all the same.

Given his record as an infantry officer, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#22]
The other day on FBN he said that we would have been better off without knowing the full extent of the NSA's data collecting.

Kind of regret shaking his hand

ETA: To clarify, he was talking about the domestic spying.

Pretty sure it's a good thing to realize that your government is creepishly collecting all your data.

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Given his record as an infantry officer, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.  
View Quote

I understand that.

Given my relation to those that were there, I won't.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

CHARLIE MURPHY!
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The other day on FBN he said that we would have been better off without knowing the full extent of the NSA's data collecting.

Kind of regret shaking hands with him.
View Quote

Dont feel bad, Some members want to give him a Blowjob
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depending on what he was referring to, he may be right.
Much of what was revealed about the NSA's data collecting was about foreign entities (persons, states, organizations).
That revelation is what got the collective panties of the rest of the world in a twist.

I have no problem with the NSA collecting on non-Americans.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I talked with him 1 on 1 for the better part of an hour while running a check point in Ramadi.
He came across as a good dude and very patriotic.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
He did his duty, then was which was in part being the scape goat.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#30]
FPNI
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Much of what was revealed about the NSA's data collecting was about foreign entities (persons, states, organizations).
That revelation is what got the collective panties of the rest of the world in a twist.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was referring to the domestic program.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All that I can find about it on wiki: "While filming for Col. Oliver North’s show on the Fox News Channel, the Humvee in which Jackson and Rauch were riding was struck by an IED, knocking Sgt. Rauch unconscious. Although injured in the blast, Jackson pulled Rauch from the vehicle to safety. Maj. Gen. Paul Lefebvre presented Jackson with the award January 24, 2009, at Al Faw Palace in Baghdad, Iraq"
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I understand that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that.

Well, that'll show him!
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I watched much of the hearings back in the 80's when he was being grilled on Iran-Contra.  Him and Admiral Poindexter were tossed to the wolves by Reagan (you know, the best President ever) to avert attention from Reagan who was actually the guy who most likely gave the go ahead to give weapons to Iran in the hope they would release some US hostages they had, and the US government then used the money they got for those arms to finance anti-communist guerrillas in Nicaragua.  Of course President Reagan said he had no idea any of this happened and of course, did not approve it because he knew nothing about it. (Sound familiar?  Like The Obama a few days ago?)  He later took full blame but by then a shit load of careers of some loyal and effective Officers and high level people were ruined.

Lt. Col. North, during the hearings, wore his Marine Corps uniform, sat ramrod straight in the official manner and was every bit the military man in the way he answered and conducted himself.  The turning point when North became a hero was when he made the pronouncement on live TV he would go "Mano a Mano" with whatever terrorist was trying to kill him, anytime at anyplace.  Right after that, within a day or so, the whole tone of hatred by the Select Committee against him changed to near manlove since it was clear the politicians poll numbers were dropping while Ollies numbers were skyrocketing.  It didn't help the politicians that North's secretary was a very loyal and smoking hottie chick.

He was later convicted of lying to Congress but his conviction was later overturned.  While his actions were somewhat questionable way back then, there is no doubt Lt. Col. North is a patriot and loves this country.  Which is more than we can say for our current leadership.
View Quote

Um, what? I'm too young to have been paying attention when this happened, but I was under the impression that Iran released the embassy hostages pretty much as soon as Reagan was sworn in, before there was even a chance of him getting anything started, much less in full swing.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Well, that'll show him!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that.

Well, that'll show him!

How many people do you know that have personally witnessed how he conducts himself overseas?
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Um, what? I'm too young to have been paying attention when this happened, but I was under the impression that Iran released the embassy hostages pretty much as soon as Reagan was sworn in, before there was even a chance of him getting anything started, much less in full swing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google "hostage Terry Anderson", and it'll make sense.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah. After a brief skim of articles from the suggested search, I think I gotcha.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How many people do you know that have personally witnessed how he conducts himself overseas?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that.

Well, that'll show him!

One Major (my old company commander from 4th TkBn-now a retired Lt Col.), and one Capt. from 7th Marines.  

No animosity at all.  Sorry.

I met the man, and he seemed pretty down to earth and humble to me.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I've often wondered just how in the hell he was able to turn a senate hearing into a 25-year run as some kind of conservative hero.

I don't really have any thoughts about Iran-Contra. Probably just one of many underhanded government programs like that. I'll bet every president has numerous skeletons in his closet as bad as or worse than Iran-Contra.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Fuck him all the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious as well.

Fuck him all the same.

WTF, get your story straight

first time ive heard of this anywho, bonjour
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

One Major (my old company commander from 4th TkBn-now a retired Lt Col.), and one Capt. from 7th Marines.  

No animosity at all.  Sorry.

I met the man, and he seemed pretty down to earth and humble to me.
View Quote

Fair enough. He might have been a bamf in the old days. I wouldn't know cause I wasn't there. These days, I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire.

All the same,
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#42]
He broke congressional law (the Boland Amendment) selling weapons to Iran, he had lied to Congress, he was convicted of three charges: accepting an illegal gratuity; aiding and abetting in the obstruction of a congressional inquiry; and ordering the destruction of documents.

Oliver North did what he thought was right, but he didn't play by the rules or obey the law, military officers do not have that option to ignore those rules.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
He broke congressional law (the Boland Amendment) selling weapons to Iran, he had lied to Congress, he was convicted of three charges: accepting an illegal gratuity; aiding and abetting in the obstruction of a congressional inquiry; and ordering the destruction of documents.

Oliver North did what he thought was right, but he didn't play by the rules or obey the law.
View Quote

do we all play by the rules
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck him all the same.

You quoted me after my correction and admission of wrongdoing.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oliver North did what he thought was right, but he didn't play by the rules or obey the law.

I edited my original post; no we don't all play by the rules, but we usually live by the consequences.  Marine officers must obey our country's laws, his consequence is the loss of honor.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#46]
I was in the Corps during the 80's and early 90's and no one I was stationed with including  myself  felt he did wrong.   Though legally wrong, but stand up Marine.
WE backed him 100%.  
Felt he was doing as ordered and falling on the blade.

Don't know anything about him now a days.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#47]
NRA open bar at the V bar at the last SHOT....very nice gentleman,  gave me a book and even signed it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Oliver North did what he thought was right, but he didn't play by the rules or obey the law, military officers do not have that option to ignore those rules.
View Quote

Yeah, but the Boland amendment was Constitutionally... well, it was an anal raping of Constitutional separation of powers.

And for what? Because the fucking communists in the US Congress wanted to gut the longstanding Monroe Doctrine in order to strengthen the Soviet Union and save the Democrat Party's pet tyrant, Ortega.

Fuck Boland. Fuck all those communists.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand that.

Well, that'll show him!

Considering he was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, two Purple Hearts and a Vietnam Service Ribbon with 5 bronze campaign stars...apparently, some folks actually did witness how he conducted himself overseas.

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I edited my original post; no we don't all play by the rules, but we usually live by the consequences.  Marine officers must obey our country's laws, his consequence is the loss of honor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slimy fuckstains in Congress put their own political interests ahead of our national security (treason, IMHFO), despite the fact that a sitting president has every right to establish the nation's foreign policy priorities and act upon them.  Lt Col. North did what he could to circumvent Congress's willingness to sell America out (with the aid of a leftist press) while the Soviets waged a proxy war against us via the Sandinistas exporting "wars of national liberation" against the governments in El Salvador and Honduras.  Nothing like potentially having a Soviet client state right on your southern border should mexico have fallen into revolution.  

Fuck those asshats in Congress.

Oliver North did what was right.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top