Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/15/2013 12:42:13 AM EDT
Just got a weeping heart forged tomahawk head today and a curly maple handle and am going to do some inlays and I will post finish pics.
Should be within a few days, since I'm well along and have a beautiful piece of maple that I've already finished.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:45:57 AM EDT
[#1]
In for pic's! any thoughts on leather tooled sheath? i can help with that!
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:55:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No, I'm just gonna do the tomahawk for now. Not real good with leather.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you want i can hook you up! just hit me up when you need one .....BTW it would be no charge! all i would ask is to give me credit when asked
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:21:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow! Thanks!

Let me get to work on it in the next few days and let me know what you need for that.

Thanks again!

Tim
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:26:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you post pictures of your inlay process?

I've been messing around with Cold Steel tommies lately.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:30:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wow! Thanks!

Let me get to work on it in the next few days and let me know what you need for that.

Thanks again!

Tim
View Quote

No problem at all i love DIY stuff like this, and it is also helping out a fellow Michigander/Arfcomer all i would need is to be able to take some measurements and any ideas what you want tooled on it!
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:35:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can you post pictures of your inlay process?

I've been messing around with Cold Steel tommies lately.
View Quote

Yeah, I can. It might not be pretty though.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:37:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No problem at all i love DIY stuff like this, and it is also helping out a fellow Michigander/Arfcomer all i would need is to be able to take some measurements and any ideas what you want tooled on it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow! Thanks!

Thanks again!

Tim

Where in Michigan are you?
I'm northeast of Capac by about 4 miles.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 2:02:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow! Thanks!

Thanks again!

Tim

Gowen, looks like it's about 160 miles from Capac! if you want, just trace the outline of the finished tomahawk on paper and mail it, that should be enough to work with! i'll IM my address
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a picture of where I am so far, this is just with stain applied.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Just need to add some brass tacks and will post better piccs when finished.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice! Beautiful wood grain.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#13]
That's pretty f'in amazing!
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Very nice! I'd test it for you, if you want, just for that authentic indian feel.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks! Here's three more pics that are a little more clear and include my Dragoon.

Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#16]
That is a beautiful finish to the wood.  What did you use to make the silver star inlay?
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That is a beautiful finish to the wood.  What did you use to make the silver star inlay?
View Quote

I got the inlays from Track of the Wolf and chiseled into the wood using a dremel carving head and then chiseled them out flat with a small wood chisel.

For the finish I used alcohol based walnut stain with a hint of red and applied several times then sanding to get the get the grain and figure to stand out. Then I french polished with shellac followed by 5 coats of wax (so far). The pics really don't show it well but it looks like it has a coat of glass on it and feels as smoth as ceramic.

*ETA* I forgot to mention that I browned the head after stripping the awful phosphate finish it had on it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 2:05:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Bump for the early birds who might have missed it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 2:07:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 2:11:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I thought this thread was about homemade missiles.

Just kidding OP, awesome work.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 2:16:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I thought this thread was about homemade missiles.

Just kidding OP, awesome work.
View Quote

I wish!
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 3:21:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Very nice work!
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 3:30:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice.  What did you do to brown the head?
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 3:32:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Tag for boarding party AAR.

Curly maple is beautiful!
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 3:33:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Very nice!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 3:43:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 3:52:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nice.  What did you do to brown the head?
View Quote

Traditional "browning solution"?
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 3:53:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Kudos to you............that is very nice work

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 3:59:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Nice.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Very nice. I'm currently working on sprucing up a Cold Steel Trail Hawk.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:16:04 AM EDT
[#31]
very cool i have a cold steel trail hawk that i refinished great little hawk!

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not sure if you use leather in your hawks, but if you were going to put a tooling leather grip high on the handle, would you use an adhesive like boiled glue or would you pop a couple of brass tacks into the leather after its laced up?  I'm working on a hawk and I'm no stranger to leather working but combining the two is a little more than I'm used to.  I figured any glue probably wouldn't adhere well to the oil finish.

I'm leaning toward tacks in case I ever have to remove the head but I wasn't sure if there was a traditional way to do what I'm planning.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#33]
that looks pretty good
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Very nice
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Good Job, that looks great.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm not sure if you use leather in your hawks, but if you were going to put a tooling leather grip high on the handle, would you use an adhesive like boiled glue or would you pop a couple of brass tacks into the leather after its laced up?  I'm working on a hawk and I'm no stranger to leather working but combining the two is a little more than I'm used to.  I figured any glue probably wouldn't adhere well to the oil finish.

I'm leaning toward tacks in case I ever have to remove the head but I wasn't sure if there was a traditional way to do what I'm planning.  
View Quote

Use this:

http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/whipping.pdf
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Gorgeous
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I wouldn't have put the tacks so high up the handle. One of the advantages of a hawk is the removable head. A sharp hawk head can be used for fleshing hides. It's easier without the handle.

Edit;

I like the dipper design.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I wouldn't have put the tacks so high up the handle. One of the advantages of a hawk is the removable head. A sharp hawk head can be used for fleshing hides. It's easier without the handle.
View Quote

Um, tomahawks in the early days of the colonies were used mostly as war weapons. They used knives for skinning.
My goal was something that would have been used by a militiaman during the 7 years war on the frontier. I've seen numerous examples, some by gunsmiths of the time, where the head would have been nigh impossible to remove.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Um, tomahawks in the early days of the colonies were used mostly as war weapons. They used knives for skinning.

My goal was something that would have been used by a militiaman during the 7 years war on the frontier. I've seen numerous examples, some by gunsmiths of the time, where the head would have been nigh impossible to remove.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A hawk is as much a utility edged tool as it is a weapon. A hawk head is supposed to be able to slip off the handle. Not fall off, but removed with moderate force. It's not a wedge tightened fit like an axe. The advantage being that if you break the handle, you can slip the head off, and make a new handle in the field.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:07:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A hawk is as much a utility edged tool as it is a weapon. A hawk head is supposed to be able to slip off the handle. Not fall off, but removed with moderate force. It's not a wedge tightened fit like an axe. The advantage being that if you break the handle, you can slip the head off, and make a new handle in the field.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, not during early colonial times.
I'm not trying to be a dick but you need to read about the early colonies after the first contact and early trading. Tomahawks were not used for much besides making war.
They were not used as useful tools. They actually had axes and knives for work. In fact tomahawks even developed into pipes and purely as ornamnetation as well.

This is not meant to be some cold steel mass produced item or modern thing.
Okay?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:12:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Most tomahawk heads are too small to be useful for much besides as a weapon of war and were not all that sharp.

Here is an original:

Note that this head was not made to come off.

Here is another:

And another:

And another:

I can go on and on and on. Do I need to?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Nice looking tomahawk. The second set of pics look really nice.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:49:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Awesome stuff.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:50:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Where did you get your hawk head?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:53:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Here's a picture of where I am so far, this is just with stain applied.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/hughjafj/Mussey-20131116-00098_zpsbb8ac62b.jpg
View Quote

looks good!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Looks great...
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:20:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Very nice.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top