Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2002 10:44:07 AM EDT
I'm interested in what you guys think is a good stock to get into right now and why. One in perticular I see that has gone up 5 times its value in the past 6 months is Nextel. Do you think it will keep going or not? Its at its 52 week high.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll continue to see a year end "Christmas" rally and "January effect" but the fundamentals still are not there. If anything tech is flat, and earnings are there only from cutting the shit out of overhead, not top line growth.

Do not chase this rally.

Next year, maybe after April, you'll have a great chance to buy back in. Microsoft will discontinue support for Win 95, 98 and NT 4.0 in the next year. There will be 180 million pc's that were added during the Y2K craze that will be fully depreciated or off lease. In other words, there will likely be a PC replacement cycle starting next year that will last for a year or so.

I like WDC, IDTI, ATML, PMCS, CY, LSI, VTSS, SUNW, JNPR, SANM, SLR, among others. Chips will rock, as will contract electronic manufacturers. Not so sure about telecomm. My opinion is worth everything that you paid for it.  But I do buy millions of dollars of computer parts per year.

944TURBO

"Don't jerk it, let me work it"
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The best market observer I know of is Richard Russell, who has been writing his Dow Theory Letters newsletter since 1958. [url]www.dowtheoryletters.com[/url]

I can't recommend him enough.  He charges $250 per year for subscription, but your library might subscribe to him in their periodicals section (mine does).

He has a lot of good sensible advice, his daily emails are a real joy to read.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys. I'm in sun micro, oracle and thinking about getting intl nextel and charter communications. I think these two will keep going up in the next year.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 8:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't bet the farm on it, but take a look at USXP and their press releases for the last couple of months. If I have ever seen a penny stock that might turn into a dollar stock, this might be the one.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't bet the farm on it, but take a look at USXP and their press releases for the last couple of months. If I have ever seen a penny stock that might turn into a dollar stock, this might be the one.
View Quote

I just looked up usxp and they are trading at .02 cents a share. I'm interested in why you think this stock will take off?
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought into GLW at $1.50, if they sell their 50 percent stake in Dow it should help even more.  From now until January I like SBLU...they should settle their lawsuit with Hollywood soon and the dock workers strike looks like it won't happen.  Plus, their products are hot sellers for Christmas.  Finally, L has targets from $15-$20+ and strong assets.  These are three that I bought heavy in a couple months ago and are doing fairly well. JMO
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Investing in machineguns has had a solid increase since 1934.
View Quote

[b] DITTO [/b]

I still think the M16 is a solid investment especially due to it's [b] VERSATILITY. [/b]

Of course there is always the chance that the AW ban will die...Sorry, ain't gonna happen!

Link Posted: 11/24/2002 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top