Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2002 4:38:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 4:53:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I though McCain made the list?

Lets keep an eye on this one. I hope we didn't just give up alot of privacy, just to feel a little bit safer at night...
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:00:07 AM EDT
[#2]
From time.com (Whatever the address is, it is the website for time magazine...)

Questions of security
Even as the Senate conflict comes to a close, battles still rage over security. Not national security — personal security. Critics of the HSD proposal say the legislation would permit the government virtually unfettered access to private information exchanged between U.S. citizens. The computer system in question is called "Total Information Awareness" and it is being run out of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, which is in turn part of the Information Awareness Office. The software, according to reports by the New York Times, would allow government surveillance of e-mail, credit card and banking records and travel documents. While more extensive legislation is needed to completely open the floodgates of heretofore private information, wording in the current HSD bill is enough to amend the Privacy Act of 1974, which put limits on what the government could do with personal information. Civil libertarians say the IAO program infringes on basic privacy rights, while proponents of the system say it only takes necessary measures — investigating suspicious spending or email threats — to make everyone as safe as possible.
View Quote

It's for the children!

It's too bad the ACLU has spent their entire existence fighting for the rights of "artists" to paint pictures of the virgin mary out of cow crap and have them displayed in National galleries, and NEVER defending a person's right to wave the flag. They cried wolf all these years, and now that something truly evil has arisen (DARPA'S IAO), nobody will listen to them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:00:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:29:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't believe I'm with Ted Kennedy on this one! What's the world coming too? Where's my foil hat?
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I can't believe I'm with Ted Kennedy on this one! What's the world coming too? Where's my foil hat?
View Quote

That should probably tip you off about somthing.

See that list of jackasses that agree with you?  They know that no real damage is being done to citizens rights, otherwise they'd vote for it.

If there was a short but equal list of conservative Republicans that also voted against it, I might think that there is somthing in this bill that is dangerous.  Instead I see a bunch of handwringing from liberals and kooks.

I'm not going to get all worked up about this.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:50:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Vigilence is the watch word of the day...

I would just hate to see this legislation abused by the wrong sort...
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 2:31:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I though McCain made the list?

Lets keep an eye on this one. I hope we didn't just give up alot of privacy, just to feel a little bit safer at night...
View Quote

I believe he DID vote nay.
AB
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#8]
No, McCain voted with the Dems in a failed effort to strip the "special interest" provisions from the bill.  But he wound up voting for the bill in the final vote.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#9]
A department of Homeland Security is a bad allocation of tax dollars.

I'd rather see the money go to revamping the defunct INS, which vomits hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants into the country every year.

Homeland Security?  Start at the borders.  Then we'll talk about creating a department to address national security.

It's like nailing the front door of your house shut while the back sliding glass door is wide open.

Good idea in theory, but ineffective until we clean up our existing departments of government.

If I'm off base, tell me, but I think I've got a really good point here.

Hokieman out

Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#10]
this is getting to be some creepy shit

check out this foxnews story:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=155542&w=myTopicPop[/url]

Link Posted: 11/20/2002 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I cannot believe that anyone with FREEDOM on their mind had the balls to vote YES.

Shame on all of you who think this "Homeland Security" crap is good.

There are enough Americans out there watching the people who might commit TRUE terrorism and we ALREADY have enough agencies doing all they can to combat terrorism.

If you want to actually STOP terrorism, the correct thing to do is close the borders FIRST.

My friends, this bill is AIMED AT YOU. When are you going to realize that?

I only voted for Bush because I hate Democrats and enjoy seeing them squirm.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#12]
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Slower traffic keep right, pass on the left.

(no pun intended)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top