Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2002 7:41:36 PM EDT
Has anyone made contact with the NICS system in regards to getting you NICS back faster?When it all started I used to get delayed overnight everytime.Then it went to several hours.Then within the hour and then finally got within a 15 min call back time frame.My dealer went as far with them over the phone(transfered as many times as they would) about my delays and was told just short of changing my name I would allways be delayed.Then they went to the new system.My Dealer was allways tranfsfered and my NICS was allways a proceed right then over the phone.Before I would never buy any Firearms more than an hour from the house due to allways having to return and pick it up or camp out there untill I was a Proceed.I guess I got alittle cocky yesterday about my Proceeds and deceided to buy another AK.Its at a small shop acouple of hours from here but I thought no Biggie theyll Proceed me.Well you guessed it.I was Delayed and even after camping out there for a couple hours I still couldnt bring it home.Anyway after a few hours the Dealer called back to check on my Status and they told him I would remain in Delayed status untill further notice.Well this morning about 8am I got the call that I was a Proceed and could come pick up my AK.Well due to work and the distance itll be atleast a week before I can get it.Is there anything that can be done to stop this BS?I mean really this is a bunch of chit.From what Ive been told there is a person that lives 25 miles from me that has the same name as me.Hes had a Meth conviction and it flags me everytime.I though the new system had solved this but maybe not.Im just aggrivated at the thought about it going back to how it was before.If I go back to getting Delayed all the time that means no more buying at Gunshows or having to stay with just the local shops.Anyone know if there is a way to solve this?Thanks,45B10
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#3]
also if you have a common name, it increases the time
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#4]
use a "loophole" and buy private sales whenever you can.  if you are married have your wife buy the gun and give it to you as a gift.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
thebeekeeper
           I allways put my SSN on my NICS.Like you said they know what I have so I just put it on.

medicmandan
           Mo is a no carry state so I dont have that option.Wish it was but so far its a NOGO.

What really pisses me off is that when I purchase a Handgun there is a 5 day wait to get my permit at the Sheriffs Office .When I pick up my permit I always head strait to the Dealer to get my pistol.Then I get Delayed on the NICS to boot.Like I said it was better for awhile but now  I wonder if its gonna go back like before?The Dealer I bought the AK from said it had been this way for awhile.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I am always delayed as well. I have called the ATF office and they cant explain it either, makes start thinking about things ya know? [>:/]
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#8]
grizzleyarms
           I used to have my wife purchase for me alot.Still keep her handy at Gunshows but man Ive been Divorced twice and stopped having all my Guns put in her name.You know a Woman scorned and all that.LOL.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I hear that if you have ever been investigated by the feds....you will be delayed. I have (for work purposes) and I am delayed every single friggin time. That is why I hate to buy at gunshows, buy on Sat...back to pick up on Sun. Double pay for parking and Double entrance fee (such BS)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't get Nics checked 'cause I only got my pistol permit a few years ago and there was some kind of check for that. The gun dealer just looks at my permit and does not have to check in with nics.
View Quote

I have my packet from the state and the place all lined up...all I need to do is go take the damn class and get it over with. I cant wait.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#12]
The last gun I bought, my dealer used a speaker phone, and I got to hear the call. I remember thinking, but did not say, "Boy this is the best synthesized voice I've EVER heard. She almost sounds REAL. After she used some creative phonetic alphabet spellings, I realized - DOH. She is real.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#13]
That is why I hate to buy at gunshows, buy on Sat...back to pick up on Sun. Double pay for parking and Double entrance fee (such BS)!
View Quote

I don't have the money to buy at shows, but I understand your frustration since I'd have the same problem.  I've since people tell the guy at the door they were just there to make a pick-up, and they get in without paying the fee.  You might want to try that.

45B10, you're definitely not the only one with this problem.  I've never been approved within the 72 hours.  I have to depend on the dealer to transfer the firearm without NICS approval.  Some will and some won't, even though it's legal.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top