Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2002 5:12:09 PM EDT
From [url]http://www.thekcrachannel.com/news/1794092/detail.html[/url]

[b]RED BLUFF, Calif. -- A Red Bluff police officer was shot and killed while he filled his patrol car at a gas station, Tehama County Sheriff's officials said.

Officer Dave Mobilio, 31, a four-year veteran of the police department, was shot in the head execution-style early Tuesday morning, according to Tehama County Undersheriff Dennis Garton.

There were no witnesses and the filling station was unmanned at the time.

The county sheriff's department, police department and state officials are investigating the shooting.

"Right now we don't have any answers. This just doesn't occur in a small, rural community," Garton said. [/b]

Anybody up north hear anything about this??  This report is from a local Sacramento TV station.  Haven't heard a thing about this on national news however.

Odd................[:\][:\][:\]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Just another isolated incedent. Dont worry, has nothing to do with terrorism.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#2]
That surely didn't happen in Kalifornia.  Haven't they banned all the dangerous firearms? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/5258548p-6264873c.html[/url]

-T.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#4]
hope this doesn't continue
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm confused.

Was it "execution style" or a sniper shooting?
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Anyone else catch that?  

Is it a habit of the police in this area to fill their tanks at closed gas stations?

Was this at the pump of the department motor pool?

Something is fishy here.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 6:46:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Anyone else catch that?  

Is it a habit of the police in this area to fill their tanks at closed gas stations?

Something is fishy here.
View Quote

Many Gas stations are 24hours if you have a gas/credit card, but are only open for cash paying customers during certain hours.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have filled my tank before at closed stations and I am not a LEO. Most stations will leave power to their pumps these days. If you put in your card and are approved, as I am sure his departmental fleet card was, you can get gas. No mystery there, nothing fishy. I wonder whose wife or GF he was banging.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Did they figure out if it was a long or a close range shooting yet?
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Someone probably didn't like the way he was doing his job, or maybe he was inovlved in some dirty business on the side.  I'm surprised this story doesn't happen 50 times a week, actually.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#11]
you can see this one coming...
...it was a .50bmg @ 2miles [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Around here leaving the pumps on with no attendants for 24 hr service is illegal.  Several stations have gotten busted.  I'm not sure if it is state or federal law, but I believe it has to do with the fire hazard.  Someone has to be there if something goes wrong, and things do often go wrong at gas stations.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Probably some crazy from Oregon.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 11:25:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm confused.

Was it "execution style" or a sniper shooting?
View Quote

Thats what I'm asking, never heard of a "execution style" sniping.

I think sgtar15 kinda just added that "sniping" part on his own. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I have filled my tank before at closed stations and I am not a LEO. Most stations will leave power to their pumps these days. If you put in your card and are approved, as I am sure his departmental fleet card was, you can get gas. No mystery there, nothing fishy. I wonder whose wife or GF he was banging.
View Quote

I stand corrected.  You learn something new every day.  I guess I have spent too much time in the big city where things are open 24/7.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#16]
It may have been a stray shot from my super-high-powered sniper-preffered black rifle. I was hunting deer here in missouri that evening... hmmm, I wonder?
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#17]
We have a similar story in Minnesota:

"State Trooper shot in neck by sniper"

...OK, it was an idiot hunter with a 12ga. hi-powered, rifled slug sniper special shotgun.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#18]
When Mobilio didn't respond to radio calls, fellow officers went looking for him, Garton said. They found his body around 2:30 a.m. near the gas pump, his gun drawn, he said.

Investigators don't know yet if he fired his weapon, but believe he may have drawn his gun during a confrontation with his assailant, Garton said.
View Quote

Doesn't sound like a sniper attack.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Probably some crazy from Oregon.
View Quote

Probably...they keep moving up here from Kalifornia.

[b]Pablo[/b]
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#20]
how do they know the gun was drawn?
seems it could have fallen from he holster or the attacker could have picked it up and dropped it if he saw someone coming.

Link Posted: 11/20/2002 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I didn't do it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anyone else catch that?  

Something is fishy here.
View Quote

We used to. The local Stop + Rob would turn off all the pumps except 1. They locked that with a padlock. They had the key, and each of our cars had a key on the keyring for the pump. When they closed up at night they would note the gauge on the pump. In the morning they would note it again, and figure out how much gas was pumped overnight. They would ring up the sale and run one of the "companies" credit cards through, which they kept at the store, and that would be the first sale of the day.

Now we gas at Highway Dept. garaged. Each car now has a "gas card" that is only good at the Highway Dept. "gas boy" automated fuel pump system.

And yes "gas boy" is actually the name of the device, it is printed right on it.

There are also "24 hr" gas stations, about 3/4's of the local stations have 24 hr pumping. Almost all gas pumps have card readers in them for credit/debit card transactions at the pump even if there is a 24 hr clerk. I though this was pretty standard now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Could have been a sniper-style hit that didn't kill him instantly (thus he was able to draw his weapon against the threat.)

Could have been a poorly executed execution style hit, where they failed to achieve perfect surprise, so he was able to draw his weapon.

Could have been someone he knew gunning for him personally, or an argument that got out of hand and the bad guy got the drop on the cop.

There are too many variables we don't know yet to be making any kind of judgement, let alone an informed one.

Link Posted: 11/20/2002 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#24]
You bunch of frickin morons. Don't you get it. This is clearly a case of guns evolving to the next generation. Obviously, the gun climbed out of the holster, jumped up from behind and "went off" killing him "execution style". I think it is high time we stop making the claim that our guns have killed fewer people than Kennedy's golf club and make certain that our guns are locked and chained at all times. In fact, my pistol is doing the lambada with my bushy right now. Damn these are good drugs.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I didn't do it.
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Here we go again. How long will it take the Media to make this a circus?
MM419
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Finding out if the bullet in his head matched the gun in HIS hand would be a good starting place.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I know who did it.

I heard him confess multiple times just a few minutes ago!

Eric Clapton.

But he swears it was in self defense! And BTW, he didn't shoot his deputy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Cop Killer Found
[url]http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,71479,00.html[/url]

CONCORD, N.H. — A man suspected of killing a police officer in California last week was arrested Tuesday morning after an hours-long standoff in a downtown hotel, police said.

An officer at the scene said Andrew McCrae, suspected of gunning down a Red Bluff, Calif., officer a week ago, was arrested without incident at the Holiday Inn around 10 a.m. Police planned a news conference to release details.

The FBI had called police at 2:19 a.m. and told them McCrae, 23, also known as Andrew Mickel, was staying in a fourth-floor room at the hotel, Lt. George Pangakis said. He did not know how the FBI got the information.

A tactical team arrived around 6 a.m. and the fourth floor of the hotel was evacuated, he said. FBI negotiators talked with McCrae by phone and tried to persuade him to surrender.

The officer at the scene, who declined to give his name, would not say whether the man surrendered or was seized.

McCrae is accused of shooting Officer David Mobilio once in the head while Mobilio was refueling his cruiser.

Concord Police Chief Jerry Madden said a man identifying himself as McCrae posted letters about the crime on a San Francisco news Web site, www.sf.indymedia.org.

In one letter posted Monday, the writer claimed he shot and killed the officer to protest "police-state tactics" and corporate irresponsibility.

The writer claimed he is immune from prosecution because he incorporated himself. Corporations are shielded from personal liability for a corporation's debts.

"The very concept behind corporations is to protect their owners from taking responsibility for their actions. This means that directors within corporations can dump waste chemicals in our drinking water, or keep our work environments in fatally dangerous conditions, without any personal liability," the letter said.

"Corporations murder thousands of people each year this way and are never held accountable. As a statement against this practice, prior to my action in Red Bluff, I formed a corporation under the name 'Proud and Insolent Youth Incorporated,' so that I could use the destructive immunity of corporations and turn it on something that actually should be destroyed," the letter said.

The incorporation papers, filed Nov. 7 with the New Hampshire Secretary of State, list addresses in Loudon, N.H., and Olympia, Wash. The contact phone number listed for McCrae did not answer Tuesday morning and an Internet search showed no listing for the Loudon address.

Streets around the hotel, which is about a block from the Statehouse on Main Street, were blocked off for most of the morning rush hour, snarling traffic downtown.

Mobilio, 31, was found dead by a fellow officer after he did not respond to a call from a dispatcher about 1:30 a.m. on Nov. 19.

Officer John Waelty found Mobilio beside his patrol car. His gun, with the safety off, was about 3 feet away.

Mobilio was the first officer killed in the line of duty since Red Bluff was incorporated in 1876.

A memorial service for Mobilio in Red Bluff was planned for Tuesday. As many as 5,000 people were expected to attend.

"We all feel for the officer," said Sgt. Dan Kupsky, of the Redding, Calif, police, who worked closely with the Red Bluff department. "It could happen here. There but for the grace of God go I."

--------------------------------------------------------

Post taken from Glock Talk

Link Posted: 11/26/2002 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Thats what I'm asking, never heard of a "execution style" sniping.[:)]
View Quote

It was execution style 'cause the guy died!  Duh!  If he didn't die it would be a disability-style shooting.

[:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#31]

The FBI had called police at 2:19 a.m. and told them McCrae, 23, also known as Andrew Mickel, was staying in a fourth-floor room at the hotel, Lt. George Pangakis said. He did not know how the FBI got the information.

A tactical team arrived around 6 a.m. and the fourth floor of the hotel was evacuated, he said. FBI negotiators talked with McCrae by phone and tried to persuade him to surrender.
View Quote

A three hour and 41 minute response time?  Good thing the guy wasn't somehow tipped off!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top