Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2013 7:36:52 PM EDT
And upping the rates to $125 to take the test.

Every instructor I've spoken with agrees it's a bad move & yet they are doing it anyway. I've also heard that they will be changing the way the classes work so that it's all 1 study area for the entire class. For example everyone on fractions or reading. This is bad because while I could teach the class on fractions if the instructor was sick, sitting there listening to them drone on about such a subject s a waste of my time.

I was in class with a highly disruptive kid earlier tonight who was dropped off by his parole officer. This 20+ year old punk* wastes the instructors time that could be spent helping folks actually trying to learn. I spent 12 hours in class on one day last week & will be doing it again tomorrow even though I have some flu. I know the math, I just get flustered when I'm timed.

I actually thumbed thru my teachers copy of the new material & interestingly enough, in the reading section they list several famous people to teach about. Among them Obama & Bill Clinton and quite a few others of less repute. Thomas Jefferson was there but I just bet they'll be trashing him.
I know when I was in public school that the only thing I could have told you about Jefferson was he owned slaves & wrote the Declaration of Independence. It wasn't until I got older that I dug a bit deeper on my own & earlier this year I realized my dream of visiting his Monticello home.

*Visualize Jesse Pinkman with worse hair & no brains.

I'm just ranting because unlike certain others I know how big a deal this is & it's freaking me out. Without a GED you may as well go sign up for all the FSA stuff you can because your not going anywhere else & that though sickens me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck on getting your GED
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#2]
English. Just sayin . . .
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I already passed the reading/essay portion with a score so high that my teacher looked at my grade & exclaimed "wow, I didn't know it could go that high" so I'm not sure what your talking about.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I already passed the reading/essay portion with a score so high that my teacher looked at my grade & exclaimed "wow, I didn't know it could go that high" so I'm not sure what your talking about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm talking about your multitude of grammatical errors. Normally I'm not a grammar Nazi since mine isn't perfect, but considering that you're bitching about education,  it seemed appropriate.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Forgive me if I don't give your opinion on these standards a lot of weight...
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're the big man on the short bus?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Except the instructors all say the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Judging by what you said about your instructors when you quoted me, at least one is a cretin and should be ignored.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I receved my GED many many many moons ago, when it was a real test, rather than this high-falutin' cupcake shit they have today. Back in MY day...
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clearly you are a scholar among peasants.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually I was saying that Senor Gray's comment about English made no sense and was desiring clarification.

However in comparison to quite a few fellow "students" I'd say I'm fairly bright. Especially considering my other scores are high enough that if I pass math with the bare minimum, I still qualify for "honor graduate".  Not saying it's the same as the top 10% at Georgetown, but I'll take it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Actually I was saying that Senor Gray's comment about English made no sense and was desiring clarification.

However in comparison to quite a few fellow "students" I'd say I'm fairly bright. Especially considering my other scores are high enough that if I pass math with the bare minimum, I still qualify for "honor graduate".  Not saying it's the same as the top 10% at Georgetown, but I'll take it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you missed my point, which I even took the time to bold for you in my original quote.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think you missed my point, which I even took the time to bold for you in my original quote.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh, indeed I did.  I am going to blame my cold.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#14]
So a guy comes here to explain he is trying to better himself but is disapointed in the eduation he is receiving and several posters decide they need to dogpile on him about his grammer. Fucking classy.

Good job OP. I hope you earn your diploma quickly and it takes you to greeater things in life.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good luck on getting your GED
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So a guy comes here to explain he is trying to better himself but is disapointed in the eduation he is receiving and several posters decide they need to dogpile on him about his grammer. Fucking classy.

Good job OP. I hope you earn your diploma quickly and it takes you to greeater things in life.
View Quote

You two must go to the same school... He is not complaining about the education he is receiving, he is complaining about a set of standards that they would implement later.  He has not experienced these standards, and with not even a GED is not qualified to put a value on them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You two must go to the same school... He is not complaining about the education he is receiving, he is complaining about a set of standards that they would implement later.  He has not experienced these standards, and with not even a GED is not qualified to put a value on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

]Originally Posted By Spartanatheart
I was in class with a highly disruptive kid earlier tonight who was dropped off by his parole officer. This 20+ year old punk* wastes the instructors time that could be spent helping folks actually trying to learn. I spent 12 hours in class on one day last week & will be doing it again tomorrow even though I have some flu.  I know the math, I just get flustered when I'm timed.  

I know, reading is hard.

How about you show some class and not shit on a guy trying to better  himself. Fuck! Is it really that hard not to be an asshole?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As to the blue writing, you are correct. However as to the red writing, I disagree.

I recall a thread not long ago about a similar issue with a parent getting thrown out of a PTA meeting for questioning the standards of the common core curriculum. The consensus here was that it WAS garbage also. As to me not being qualified, Obama and most of his ilk went to Harvard or some other Ivy league school. I take that as a sign that education is vastly overrated & is in fact just another way the democrats use the system to control people.

Think about it. Without a GED your only hope is welfare. That gives them more voters.  They want a vanished middle class & it's happening on so many levels in so many different ways.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Common Core is garbage from my understanding. None of the teachers we've spoken to even fully understand it or how to use it. Not a fan.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Your wrong on the last part.

No GED here, was home schooled and there was no requirements when I did it.

Never stopped me from anything and I make a little bit more than middle class wages.

T

Quoted:
And upping the rates to $125 to take the test.

Every instructor I've spoken with agrees it's a bad move & yet they are doing it anyway. I've also heard that they will be changing the way the classes work so that it's all 1 study area for the entire class. For example everyone on fractions or reading. This is bad because while I could teach the class on fractions if the instructor was sick, sitting there listening to them drone on about such a subject s a waste of my time.

I was in class with a highly disruptive kid earlier tonight who was dropped off by his parole officer. This 20+ year old punk* wastes the instructors time that could be spent helping folks actually trying to learn. I spent 12 hours in class on one day last week & will be doing it again tomorrow even though I have some flu. I know the math, I just get flustered when I'm timed.

I actually thumbed thru my teachers copy of the new material & interestingly enough, in the reading section they list several famous people to teach about. Among them Obama & Bill Clinton and quite a few others of less repute. Thomas Jefferson was there but I just bet they'll be trashing him.
I know when I was in public school that the only thing I could have told you about Jefferson was he owned slaves & wrote the Declaration of Independence. It wasn't until I got older that I dug a bit deeper on my own & earlier this year I realized my dream of visiting his Monticello home.

*Visualize Jesse Pinkman with worse hair & no brains.

I'm just ranting because unlike certain others I know how big a deal this is & it's freaking me out. Without a GED you may as well go sign up for all the FSA stuff you can because your not going anywhere else & that though sickens me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#22]
lol
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Just remember, the best education you will ever receive is one you give yourself. School is about learning how to learn, and getting a piece of paper that says you did it.

ETA: Also, if you need help with anything, let me know. I should be able to provide assistance.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just remember, the best education you will ever receive is one you give yourself. School is about learning how to learn, and getting a piece of paper that says you did it.
View Quote

+1  A wise man right here.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#25]
well it should be easy to pass. just place a big X on the entire thing,  and write on the top....  I feel better now I took the test.  I didn't want to feel stress  or have to use my brain,,, thank you for my  common core   GED
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#26]
TARD FIGHT!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Commie Core
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
TARD FIGHT!!!
View Quote

Are we playing King of the Short Bus?

Woo, Woo................  I'm in.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most of us here have graduated from collage. I personally hold 17 doctorates. Through a series of complex legal loopholes, I'm legally a corporation. I did that, because I wanted to avoid IRS scrutiny, and unwanted fame and attention from the degenerate plebeian scum, which is so prevalent in modern America. I make over $2 billion dollars a month. I also am a tier-one operator, I'm 7' 10" tall, and the last time I took an IQ test I broke the ceiling of it, and got an estimated score of 290. Keep in my mind that it would have been much higher, if I wasn't drunk off my vintage brandy from Napoleon II's collection. Oh, I also have a Bugatti Veyron as a daily driver, and I've had sex with over 800,000 women. The number of women I've had sex with could easily be 5 million, but I have standards, and I only bang 10's.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#30]
No offense OP. But since when did anyone need an instructor to pass a GED test?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Most of us here have graduated from collage. I personally hold 17 doctorates. Through a series of complex legal loopholes, I'm legally a corporation. I did that, because I wanted to avoid IRS scrutiny, and unwanted fame and attention from the degenerate plebeian scum, which is so prevalent in modern America. I make over $2 billion dollars a month. I also am a tier-one operator, I'm 7' 10" tall, and the last time I took an IQ test I broke the ceiling of it, and got an estimated score of 290. Keep in my mind that it would have been much higher, if I wasn't drunk off my vintage brandy from Napoleon II's collection. Oh, I also have a Bugatti Veyron as a daily driver, and I've had sex with over 800,000 women. The number of women I've had sex with could easily be 5 million, but I have standards, and I only bang 10's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DAMN! 17? I think you have me beat by at least 3, but I don't know becasue I stoped keeping the peices of paper they give you when you graduate. I am also not a tier anything. I am fat and slow but it's ok becaus I am super smart and rich so I just buy a bunch of chinnese children to wrok for me until they reach the age of consent. My lawyer told me I had to let them go at that point. that's ok though I can afford to buy more every couple of years.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Spartan has a history of opening his mouth to exchange his feet.  My youngest daughter is home schooled with an official private school curriculum, so I know I know exactly what grade levels are teaching certain things.  When he is attacking ANY education system, yet demonstrating a literal 1st grade skill level of the English language, then maybe he should be doing less criticizing and more learning.

It's akin to a burgerking grill guy trashing a culinary school curriculum.  Shutting up and learning is a good thing.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Spartan has a history of opening his mouth to exchange his feet.  My youngest daughter is home schooled with an official private school curriculum, so I know I know exactly what grade levels are teaching certain things.  When he is attacking ANY education system, yet demonstrating a literal 1st grade skill level of the English language, then maybe he should be doing less criticizing and more learning.

It's akin to a burgerking grill guy trashing a culinary school curriculum.  Shutting up and learning is a good thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's still basically an ad hominem attack...
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Without a GED your only hope is welfare.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

Good luck dude. You will pass that shit no problem.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote

Prep classes and pretesting.

The fact that he's trying to prepare for the test says he cares about passing it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Opinions vary. I'm not attacking him as much as I'm saying that he's inadequately prepared to offer the judgment that he is.

Which is basically about 94% of what goes on in GD.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not everyone has the same intelligence or education level.  I have a cousin that is pretty damned street smart and can learn anything. But she was 'home schooled' by complete fuckhead parents, in a state that requires no proof that the parents are actually doing anything, and consequently, didn't learn that 1/2 is .5 until she was 22. She's not stupid, she was just never taught.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The fact that he's trying to prepare for the test says he cares about passing it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took the GED test in the late 90's. No studying, no prep courses. Passed easily, and I am far from being bright lol. Just saying, the test was a joke back then, and it's only gotten easier.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I took the GED test in the late 90's. No studying, no prep courses. Passed easily, and I am far from being bright lol. Just saying, the test was a joke back then, and it's only gotten easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got my GED in 98, like you, without studying or taking prep courses. Unlike you, I understand that my ability to have done so means that I was not average. Shortly after I took mine, they made it harder, not easier.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:09:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Without a GED your only hope is welfare.

You don't exactly get six-figure a year job offers frequently without a GED and with only limited experience.

ETA: INB4, "my dad's cousin's neighbor's dag's dag walker's mom's best friend dropped out of the third grade and makes $90,000 a year, so collage is for morans!"
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I got my GED in 98, like you, without studying or taking prep courses. Unlike you, I understand that my ability to have done so means that I was not average. Shortly after I took mine, they made it harder, not easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well high five brother. We were at the top of our ged class lol. I never knew what we did was above average. All I  know is I got poor grades in high school and i aced that thing. I really had no idea that people studied hard for that test until I walked in there to take it in '99.

As to the op, you've got this brother.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well high five brother. We were at the top of our ged class lol. I never knew what we did was above average. All I  know is I got poor grades in high school and i aced that thing. I really had no idea that people studied hard for that test until I walked in there to take it in '99.

As to the op, you've got this brother.
View Quote

I was like you in school. When I did my work, I got As. I did my work about one day a week and never did homework. I skipped a few days a week to go hunting. But I had exposure and I absorbed the material in my own way. Traditional school just didn't, and doesn't, work for me.   I wanted to inhale car exhaust until I didn't have to listen to people anymore.

Then there are people like I spoke of earlier, my cousin.  She's smart, but had zero exposure to anything. I could tell some stories, but I'd be called a liar.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 12:30:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Opinions vary. I'm not attacking him as much as I'm saying that he's inadequately prepared to offer the judgment that he is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been reading the "I'm dying" thread for the last two days and the way people have come together has been amazing. Then when I read this and some are being  less then supportive, it just irked me.

I also see the your/you're as more of a typing error then a grammer error as I tend to read things in my own voice. So if the word would sound right when spoken I tend to skip over whether it is the correct your/you're, there/their/they're.

That and my grammer sucks. As I am sure everyone can tell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top