Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2013 7:09:13 PM EDT

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2013/10/28/what-will-china-buy-beijing-goes-shopping-in-u-s/

China is forecast to spend roughly $1 trillion over the next decade buying up foreign assets, including about $15 billion to $20 billion a year on U.S. investments, according to the Kiplinger Letter.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#1]
1600 Pennsylvania Ave

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1600 Pennsylvania Ave

View Quote

SOLD OUT
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Politicians
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Kneel and kiss the chicom boot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#5]
On the real estate end, do you all think they'll be sticking to commercial stuff or grabbing up everything including residential and rural land?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Communist Chinese are already funneling money into political campaign funds and everyone knows it. Some of the more brazen have been caught trying to give money to Hillary Clinton back in the 2008 primary, but of course not much press was dedicated to it.

Ordinarily I'd encourage foreign investment in the USA, but the Communist Chinese represent a system that is the antithesis of our Capitalist Republic. I fully understand the reasoning for recognizing China diplomatically and trying to separate them from the Soviets, which I feel did help lead to the fall of the Soviet Union.  However, we may have slain one demon only to fuel another and the rise of China has brought with it a significant threat to our interests in the Pacific.  The Chinese are doing many things economically and socially that I believe will bring about their own downfall in short order. The problem is that before they fall they will grow very large and their fall may bring about the next World War. I believe we are helping create a future source of incredible instability in the Pacific that will draw us into a firestorm if we are not careful.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Direct government investment should be banned.

They do not allow us to buy things outright there btw.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Direct government investment should be banned.

They do not allow us to buy things outright there btw.
View Quote

Pretty sure they would just create some "private" companies to start buying up assets here.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Japan did that in the '80s and it didn't work out too well for them.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:00:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe they decided to run things themselves since it's clear a significant portion of Americans cannot even think for themselves?  It's called investment protection, as they already have quite a bit of money invested in our treasuries, etc.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Fuck both the US government and the Chinese government.   Neither one have Americas best interest at heart.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Snuff
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#13]
THE JAPANESE ARE BUYING UP AMERICA!!!!!!

THE CHINESE ARE BUYING UP AMERICA!!!!!!

For those of you who don't read financial history:

Foreigners going on buying sprees overseas in safe countries is the last sign that the bubble in the home country is about to pop.
Smart money is selling out and shifting it overseas.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fuck both the US government and the Chinese government.   Neither one have Americas best interest at heart.
View Quote

Agree.  The US government (politician) are bought and paid for.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#15]
They stood in awe as we spent our way to victory over the Soviets in the cold war. Now, as they do so well, they are copying what somebody else invented and they know works.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Foreigners going on buying sprees overseas in safe countries is the last sign that the bubble in the home country is about to pop.
View Quote

In before the Fed bails out China?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We didn't bail out Japan, we sure as hell ain't bailing out the Reds.

What's disturbing is that this time, the leadership sees it coming and looks to be trying to whip up a war to cover the collapse.
Manned Chinese combat aircraft have violated Japanese airspace 3 days in a row and the Chicoms are saying that if the Japanese shoot down any of their drones, it will be an act of war.
Even the US considers taking out our drones to be fair game.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#18]
They got some 4wd boats to drag the land back to the coast
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Whatever they buy, Im willing to bet it was made in China. Lol
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#20]
If they buy Hawaii, they can have Taiwan 2.0
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

This and this exactly right here. China is buying Detroit like crazy. They'll spend as much as they can here to force their housing bubble to bust.

Why? Well, here's my theory

China's economy is growing so fast the government can't control communism due to the now extreme economic class amongst its people. It's also getting harder to keep interest rates down and their currency devalued. The government is investing heavily with the peoples money into real estate by building those 22+ metropolitan ghost cities. The people buy them as investment propert, but nobody can afford them. My guess is overnight the Chinese will crash their own economy and the people will lose everything in their housing bubble bust while the government moves all the poor into the now ghost cities, resetting their currency to make more profits and restore communism. They will become a 1st world super power overnight.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Kneel and kiss the chicom boot.
View Quote

I know of 535 that will line up for that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#23]
China is buying US assets because they need them, and they need to try to secure as many of them before it becomes clear how global their population problem is.

Since the already own the WH to an extent, and have done so dating back to no later than Clinton, they still need as many allies as possible within the US National Command Infrastructure in order to better control food, energy, and distribution.

They're pretty frantic right now because of uncontrolled population growth, and really bad demographics that are going to register in a major way for the world, not just Asia.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This and this exactly right here. China is buying Detroit like crazy. They'll spend as much as they can here to force their housing bubble to bust.

China's economy is growing so fast the government can't control communism due to the now extreme economic class amongst its people. It's also getting harder to keep interest rates down and their currency devalued. The government is investing heavily with the peoples money into real estate by building those 22+ metropolitan ghost cities. The people buy them as investment propert, but nobody can afford them. My guess is overnight the Chinese will crash their own economy and the people will lose everything in their housing bubble bust while the government moves all the poor into the now ghost cities, resetting their currency to make more profits and restore communism. They will become a 1st world super power overnight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're over thinking it IMO.

The leaders couldn't give two shits about the little people.
They are trying to cash out and hit the door running before they get strung up.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Chris
View Quote

This.  I remember lots of folks worrying about the Japanese buying up every important piece of property in America.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This.  I remember lots of folks worrying about the Japanese buying up every important piece of property in America.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

see my post above on this trend.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Hmmm....I may be seeing an opportunity for the first US gutter oil franchise.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't care about the people so they will bankrupt the current wealthy to house the poor. To become a first world country, the majority of the population will need to be living civilized. Watch the 20/20 segment about the 22 and counting metropolitan cities. Who's going to live there? Their selling for $80k, peasants make $500 a year.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Obama?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
On the real estate end, do you all think they'll be sticking to commercial stuff or grabbing up everything including residential and rural land?
View Quote

I think the Japanese tried that 30 years ago and got burned.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Chris
View Quote

yes that is true, also the dutch.

but it did not work out for Japan because the US told them to devalue their currency.

They are still in stag flation after that bad advice.

Don't know if the US did that on purpose to screw the japanese or the US just gives out bad advice.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They don't care about the people so they will bankrupt the current wealthy to house the poor. To become a first world country, the majority of the population will need to be living civilized. Watch the 20/20 segment about the 22 and counting metropolitan cities. Who's going to live there? Their selling for $80k, peasants make $500 a year.
View Quote

Exactly right in your facts, but wrong in the analysis.

China's 3000 year history is an endless rise-fleece-collapse cycle.
This time the people on the top when the music stops can escape on planes and shift the stolen money wirelessly.

Many cultures outside the Anglo-Saxon sphere are shockingly selfish. China damn near tops that list.
When you grow up in a society that has historically used it's people as cannon fodder and pawns, stealing and abandoning them instead of being the one getting used is the smart choice.

Most Chinese save over 20% of their income, the State set up the rules so that they had to put it in banks.
The banks were then forced to pool those savings into infrastructure and housing projects.
Those $80K apartments are already overvalued and the leadership is the ones who profited from that mark-up.
They are the ones taking that cash from sales or using those apartments as collateral and buying stuff here.
When the collapse happens, all they have to do is get on a plane and live well here.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

SOLD OUT
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1600 Pennsylvania Ave

SOLD OUT

That was bought by them in the 90's.  Anyone remember the 1996 political donations scandal? Anyone remember Wen Ho Lee?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Chris
View Quote

They do own some really cool golf courses in Hawaii and California.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

China is actually trying to transition from the capital-based economy to consumer (or service) -based economy.   It's the natural evolutionary process.  Problem is how to do it without collapsing everything.

Furthermore, the "central" government is not as powerful as it seems.  The regional governments still retain a lot of power and the struggle is cut throat (anyone remembers that recent international case where the wife poisoned the husband, etc, etc. - just the tip of the iceberg).    It was just before the latest party elections and the two top dogs were pulling their cards.

The central government weakness shows in cases where Beijing tells a polluting factory they need to upgrade or shut down and the neighboring province's government offers them to move there, with subsidies.  Corruption is unchecked and the kenyan is ensuring we are going the same way, a-la-african-dictatorship.  

I guess everyone read about that incident yesterday in the Tiananmen Square, right in front of the Forbidden City's main gate?   SUV loaded with tourists plowed through hundreds of people, killed five and injured around 50 right before exploding?

So, China also has its problems but I'm sure its government is not trying to destroy it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#36]

China is not a big deal, we spend more borrowed money on government alone, then their entire GDP...

Besides, no one ever actually owns real estate in the U.S., we are all just renters from the government.  I guess they'll be paying some rent payments.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#37]
how can we prove that is real money.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 2:11:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Farm land is a good bet.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 2:34:49 AM EDT
[#39]
China isn't the only country in Asia buying up real restate worldwide and in the US.  South Korea and Singapore have also spent billions buying up property in the US.  They have the cash and see US property as means of diversification.  

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323420604578650280601363350

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323998604578567842424911464

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top