Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2013 5:49:06 PM EDT
It never ceases to dissapoint me how little some poor dead guy' s family will take from a gunshop for his lovingly collected firearms they obviously have no idea of the value of. I am considering rubber banding a note to each gun (or storing an itemized list where my loved ones can find it) and valuable thing I own that says what it is, whether it is designated to be passed on to a family member and what it is worth at fair market value as well as a good listing of how and where to sell.

I would hate to see my meager collection sold at pennies on the dollar when my family may be hurting for funds and would equally hate to see a select few items not going to children as heirlooms.

Anyone doing this sort of thing?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a good friend who's been instructed to advise my family on my firearms if something happens to me.  Family is aware of this too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It never ceases to dissapoint me how little some poor dead guy' s family will take from a gunshop for his lovingly collected firearms they obviously have no idea of the value of. I am considering rubber banding a note to each gun (or storing an itemized list where my loved ones can find it) and valuable thing I own that says what it is, whether it is designated to be passed on to a family member and what it is worth at fair market value as well as a good listing of how and where to sell.

I would hate to see my meager collection sold at pennies on the dollar when my family may be hurting for funds and would equally hate to see a select few items not going to children as heirlooms.

View Quote

I use to, but now I realize I will sleep good on the dirt nap and don't give a shit.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a good friend who's been instructed to advise my family on my firearms if something happens to me.  Family is aware of this too.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]
have a spreadsheet of all guns, values, serials, etc. What ones could be sold to raise cash and others that are one-of-a-kind.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#5]
My son knows what's what.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Rubber bands turn nasty over time and might damage the finish on the guns.  Velcro wrap might be better.  Or twine.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
have a spreadsheet of all guns, values, serials, etc. What ones could be sold to raise cash and others that are one-of-a-kind.
View Quote

Same.
I use a spreadsheet that has an up to date (within reason) value.
Certain guns in the spreadsheet are marked as sellers, others are marked heirlooms.

Also have the caliber noted, where/when I got each firearm.

I also have a word document for any historical guns or hand me down guns describing that I know about the gun from the research I have done or what I know from family sources.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#8]
a good friend of 25 years asked me to be that guy. The one who he trusts to sell off his
quite considerable collection when he passes. He has a questionable ticker, and does not
expect to live to an old age. No one in his family has.
I have asked him to keep records. Price paid, recent value, descriptions, specially on excellent
or unique guns. He has some stuff I had never seen. Told me I could keep what I want, cept
I have my own, don`t want his. His wife will need the money. Told him to write it down, with
my phone number, for his wife, what he expects of me.

Its a fine thing to be considered that guy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It never ceases to dissapoint me how little some poor dead guy' s family will take from a gunshop for his lovingly collected firearms they obviously have no idea of the value of.
View Quote

They're just selling it for double what he told them he paid for them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm sure my soon to be wife's family will just divide them up amongst each other. My sister, mom and wife doesn't want the guns  and I have no one to leave them to.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm sure my soon to be wife's family will just divide them up amongst each other. My sister, mom and wife doesn't want the guns  and I have no one to leave them to.

View Quote

Ill take them
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ill take them
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill take them

I plan on living at least 50 more years...

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#13]
No. People in my family know how to use the internet if they need a value.

Guns stay in the family anyway so it is a moot point for me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill take them

My sons will take them on my behalf then
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:19:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Why? You afraid your wife will sell them for what you told her they cost?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Im getting a book together on what I have and accessories/mags/parts and values just in case
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I keep a note in my gun safe so I remember what my son borrows

I keep a spreadsheet of when I bought and what I paid.

Once a year I try to go to gunbroker and see what they are selling for and update my value list for kids and insurance.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#18]
spreadsheet with model, serial #, cost, current replacement values, etc.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have been thinking about this a lot as of late because my family is totally clueless about guns but also about my NV and thermal gear.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It never ceases to dissapoint me how little some poor dead guy' s family will take from a gunshop for his lovingly collected firearms they obviously have no idea of the value of.

Truth

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Guys this really is important to do.  My father passed away fairly suddenly at 57 (cancer took him way faster than we thought it would). My brother and I were familiar with most of his guns but many we had never seen and knew nothing about them.   My uncle and a couple of his friends filled in some of the details but it would have been nice to have the details in his own words.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a will with information of what to do and who to contact . Updated every couple of years. There is also a master list with each weapon itemized and photographed. The list is updated as needed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't plan on dying any time soon.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a private spreadsheet with all necessary information on it.  Two people, other than myself, have access to it.  I also have trustworthy friends that could advise my wife on what to do with my stuff if I don't need it anymore.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I don't plan on dying any time soon.
View Quote

That means you'll be the first to go.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My son knows what's what.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing is getting sold.   Will be passed to trusted friends/family who own and use guns on the regular.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
I'm sure your "good friend" will tell them that all of your guns are worthless, and he will offer them more than value just to help them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#29]
My wife will out live me, she will keep them and they are to be given to my nephews.  I doubt there will be much ammo left as she will shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife has a list of a couple of my buddies to go to to sell my guns. I have a list with fair values of everything I own, even ammo. I also have my wife and son set up as officers of my trust and beneficiaries, so the NFA angle is covered as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Sell while you are healthy and just keep the essential few.

If you are thinking end game now, now is the time to sell.

I saw a friend die and his wife sold everything to a local gunshop for one price.  She was happy, and didn't want to deal with selling them herself.  I would guess most non gun folks would do the same.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#32]
If you are thinking end game now, now is the time to sell.
View Quote

I am 34, should have at least 40 years to go. But I like to have a plan. Never know when you will be hit by a bus or some other unknowable event. Plus I work in a job where dying at another persons hand is a real possibility.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 12:09:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Hopefully, you aren't the only person in the houses hold who appreciates guns.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 1:51:22 AM EDT
[#34]

I've told my family that all of he stuff I've collected is valuable, so take their time and do their research when selling it.

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 3:58:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top