Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2013 4:57:35 PM EDT
I've been leery about giving my three year old rescue Black Lab animal bones to chew on.
I just smoked two Pork Picnic Shoulders and have a couple of wonderful looking bones.
I'm getting mixed reviews on whether these are safe to give to my dog.

What say you?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have spent thousands extracting stoppages from The Mongrel Horde. As a result I offer them Kong XXL in black only.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for asking.    I do not know.   I just don't give any bones to my GSD.

Clearly chicken bones and similar I would say are to be avoided.   Bigger ones I do not know.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#3]
We only give ours Beef or Buffalo, as they are much less likely to splinter IMHO.

I've always been told to avoid Pork, Chicken, etc.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Could result in blockages/splinters  that said my boxer has eaten shoulder blades like tic tacs.

We try to avoid it

Safest answer is a kong type treat
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Antlers work really well. try one of those.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#6]
WTF is a "dog?"                

We feed our dag uncooked beef bones.  We've heard bad things about feeding them cooked bones, and the ham bones seem like they can splinter.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#7]

A cooked pork bone almost killed my dog.  Don't ever give your dog a cooked bone. Raw bones only.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#8]
You can give your dog any kind of bone you want as long as it is NOT COOKED or smoked.

Dogs can chew up and digest any raw bone..... cooking changes the bones composition and cooked bones are the ones that splinter, due damage and are hard to digest.

I feed my dogs raw chicken necks and wings all the time like many raw feeders do along with beef, lamb, and pork bones.

RAW bones only are great for your dog and feeding them is an important part of dental and physical health.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, raw bones will grind away, cooked bones will splinter..
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Watch the dog when it give it to them.

If they start to mow it down like a snake eating a mouse then take it away, if they take their time and chew it slowly and deliberately they will be fine.

Prepare for some mealy looking poop the next day too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#11]
OK.
I like to error on the conservative side.
They are tossed out.....
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#12]
How about boiled?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can give your dog any kind of bone you want as long as it is NOT COOKED or smoked.

Dogs can chew up and digest any raw bone..... cooking changes the bones composition and cooked bones are the ones that splinter, due damage and are hard to digest.

I feed my dogs raw chicken necks and wings all the time like many raw feeders do along with beef, lamb, and pork bones.

RAW bones only are great for your dog and feeding them is an important part of dental and physical health.
View Quote

This. Another raw feeder checking in. Raw bones are a critical part of a raw diet.

Cooked bones, however, can and will kill your dog.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Winner!!  This is the correct answer.  
Google "rawmeatybones".  Good website on this topic.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Your dog, your choice.  I give mine (Labs) soup bones every couple of weeks.  They polish their teeth trying to get every piece of marrow out of the bones.  I have been doing it for many generations of pups, never an issue; my guys live on a farm and periodically get their own bones (cats, rabbit, possum, coon, ground hog) so I can't imagine that a big old soup bone would hurt them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#16]
You mean pork as in the pork bone splinters my boss had the vet remove from his dog's anus?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You mean pork as in the pork bone splinters my boss had the vet remove from his dog's anus?
View Quote

I don't know what your boss fed his dog.  If it was left over BBQ ribs, he fucked up ...... read it again, uncooked bones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top