Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2013 1:56:59 PM EDT
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't all the branches oaths for both enlisted and commissioned say something to the effect "against all enemies foreign and domestic....".

And if so, did anyone ever explain what would be a domestic enemy? Just wondering because asking non veterans/reserves/active folks. It seems that they say it would need to be someone trying to physically destroy the physical Constitution of the United States.

I thought it would be someone trying to destroy what the Constitution of the United States says is the law. but am interested in what others that took the oath think it to be. See I said "think" and not "feel" as you could have eaten some bad cheese and it is screwing with how you feel.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Lol, when I took the oath, I took it as meaning we will defend against any enemies that attempt to destroy our way of life (FREEDOM). And since our constitution is what give us such freedoms, I would be defending the laws written in the constitution. Keep in mind, this is an old oath and it isn't broken down for explanation per se. It is meant to be taken as it's written. People often forget that in todays society, many laws have been written that IMO walk all over the constitution. I don't agree with this. For example, the right to bear arms. My interpretation of this is probably the same as many on this forum. I believe that we should be able to own any weapon that the military has because you cant overpower a tyrant force if they have superior weaponry.  
Quoted:
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't all the branches oaths for both enlisted and commissioned say something to the effect "against all enemies foreign and domestic....".

And if so, did anyone ever explain what would be a domestic enemy? Just wondering because asking non veterans/reserves/active folks. It seems that they say it would need to be someone trying to physically destroy the physical Constitution of the United States.

I thought it would be someone trying to destroy what the Constitution of the United States says is the law. but am interested in what others that took the oath think it to be. See I said "think" and not "feel" as you could have eaten some bad cheese and it is screwing with how you feel.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

View Quote
I see you've never been to a military entrance processing station, nothing is explained to you.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see you've never been to a military entrance processing station, nothing is explained to you.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No body explains anything.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Google is hard.

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

We swore to defend the Constitution. Interpretation depends on who was explaining it to you at the time, and your own beliefs.

I will refrain from describing MY interpretation because....

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well actually.... When they told us to bend over and spread our cheeks they said it was a "hemorrhoid" check.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lol, when I took the oath, I took it as meaning we will defend against any enemies that attempt to destroy our way of life (FREEDOM). And since our constitution is what give us such freedoms, I would be defending the laws written in the constitution. Keep in mind, this is an old oath and it isn't broken down for explanation per se. It is meant to be taken as it's written. People often forget that in todays society, many laws have been written that IMO walk all over the constitution. I don't agree with this. For example, the right to bear arms. My interpretation of this is probably the same as many on this forum. I believe that we should be able to own any weapon that the military has because you cant overpower a tyrant force if they have superior weaponry.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I, (NAME),

do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
It would be pure nonsense to assume that you were defending a peace of paper, and not the principles laid out on that peace of paper. It is also possible to protect the constitution and not follow the orders of the president if the orders go against the constitution. The constitution is the supreme law of the land and not the president.

There that should get things moving.    
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Google is hard.

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

We swore to defend the Constitution. Interpretation depends on who was explaining it to you at the time, and your own beliefs.

http://i.imgur.com/6QhvMY2.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google is hard.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Google is hard.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google is hard.

Sad that we have to be careful what we say.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#10]
It is a veiled promise and a threat.

What I find interesting is that when you get out nobody relinquishes you of said oath.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I, (NAME),

do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.
It would be pure nonsense to assume that you were defending a peace of paper, and not the principles laid out on that peace of paper. It is also possible to protect the constitution and not follow the orders of the president if the orders go against the constitution. The constitution is the supreme law of the land and not the president.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I, (NAME),

Your a damn trouble maker.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I was more worried about the "turn your head and cough" part than the swearing in... oath part kinda went fast.... was a navy ensign presiding, i do remember....
meps was a weird immersion into the mil world.  freaky faggy dude giving the hearing test, called us "menssss" lispy like...
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What I find interesting is that when you get out nobody relinquishes you of said oath.
View Quote

When I took it in the 80's they actually told us that this oath expires upon your death.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was more worried about the "turn your head and cough" part than the swearing in... oath part kinda went fast.... was a navy ensign presiding, i do remember....
meps was a weird immersion into the mil world.  freaky faggy dude giving the hearing test, called us "menssss" lispy like...
View Quote

Sounds like your MEPS was WAY different from mine. The only thing that was really strange was during the physical exam the windows had no shades or drapes and the people in the skyscraper across the street could easily see us. This was in Cleveland Ohio.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#15]
We took an Oath?

I joined the military to work short hour, get pregnant before a deployment, and get free healthcare after I end up hurting my back from all the rigorous work I do.

Who is going to give me more free shit?  I am going to vote for them.

and Constitution?

Is that the thing we sent to France to get freedom from them?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well actually.... When they told us to bend over and spread our cheeks they said it was a "hemorrhoid" check.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LMAO they never told us that, but it makes sense. I figured the old non English speaking doc just wanted to have a look at all our assholes and make us walk around like ducks while naked to fuck with us. Little did I know the fun wasn't even starting yet.

I seriously didn't even think about the meaning of the oath to much, but I was ready to uphold it, I just knew I was part of the team that makes you pay for fucking with our country and I was proud and relieved.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

When I took it in the 80's they actually told us that this oath expires upon your death.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.
And I still take that oath seriously.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, Comrade Hussein is a clear and present enemy to the Constitution of the United States of America.

He's a clear and present danger to the Republic.

He's a clear and present danger to the people.

We've known this since his senate "career".

There aren't any competent officers in the military who are capable of removing him, nor are there enough resolute members of Congress to impeach him, so there the walking piece of excrement sits, in the White House, destroying the Nation.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine never came with a expiration date!
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes, Comrade Hussein is a clear and present enemy to the Constitution of the United States of America.

He's a clear and present danger to the Republic.

He's a clear and present danger to the people.

We've known this since his senate "career".

There aren't any competent officers in the military who are capable of removing him, nor are there enough resolute members of Congress to impeach him, so there the walking piece of excrement sits, in the White House, destroying the Nation.
View Quote

It was the same way in the 1850's. Only different.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#22]
it's wishful thinking to expect that the "enemies...domestic" part of that oath will be used to protect the Consititution. hell, Bush was flouting the Constitution with HIS surveillance program a few years back. result: congress passed "enabling legislation", and the abuse went on. no uprisings were contemplated then, or now, among the oath takers. do you guys really have such short memories?

it goes way back. off the top of my head, FDR locked up lots of American citizens in 1942, in concentration camps, for the duration of the war. oath takers helped him do it. in 1943 the SCOTUS said it was constitutional.

sorry. only time I recall the "enemies....domestic" thing being dusted off is to quell riots, break strikes, and keep coal mines open and railroads running. ran a bunch of vets out of DC in 1932.

at this point, the Constitution is just an old piece of paper. I wish things were different, but make believe is for kids.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top