Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2013 1:25:28 PM EDT
Where does the government get the right to tell me how many gallons of water my crapper uses to flush? Where does the government get the right to tell me how many gallons of gas to the mile my car gets? Where does it get the right to tell me what light bulb to use? Where does the government get the right to tell me I have to have health insurance? what kind of health insurance? I have read the Constitution numerous times and I can't find the part of it that says that government can force us to do these things. Promoting the general welfare is not about creating welfare, it is not about giving welfare. Promoting trade/commerce between the states and territories is not intended to tell us what to buy, it was intended to promote trade not to hinder it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Government does not have rights. People have rights.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Because people let them
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#3]
stop questioning and do as your told.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Generally, Congress passes an act which mandates that the gov't promulgate and do these things.  Congress being the elected representatives of the people.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The good ole commerce clause, the supreme court rulling that pretty much allowed any conection that could somehow be made for interstate commerce no matter how goofy the logic.  That was the final nail in a limited Federal government.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, one of Zero's main gripes is that the Declaration and COTUS are documents of negative rights when it comes to government.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The good ole commerce clause, the supreme court rulling that pretty much allowed any conection that could somehow be made for interstate commerce no matter how goofy the logic.  That was the final nail in a limited Federal government.
View Quote

the commerce clause was there to protect, not limit, to promote, not restrict, commerce between the states.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Not laws, regulations.  That's how the EPA and other organizations avoid that pesky legislative and political process.  Alinsky's concept of "affecting real change from inside the system."
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not laws, regulations.  That's how the EPA and other organizations avoid that pesky legislative and political process.  Alinsky's concept of "affecting real change from inside the system."
View Quote

All regulatory agencies should be abolished, killed, obliterated, destroyed, immolated, disassembled, and buried at sea.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Rand Paul said it better than I could:

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

the commerce clause was there to protect, not limit, to promote, not restrict, commerce between the states.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I am sure it started out with good intentions, SCOTUS has turned it into an intrusive monster.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]
One of my favorite quotes from recent years...

"Do you really think being king makes you powerful???"

"No, I think having armies makes you powerful."
View Quote

You have to comply because there are a bunch of your neighbors who have been given badges and guns, and an authority structure to shift their blame onto, that will come to your house and make you do the State's bidding upon pain of death.

That, is where the government gets it's power.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Where does the government get the right to tell me how many gallons of water my crapper uses to flush? Where does the government get the right to tell me how many gallons of gas to the mile my car gets? Where does it get the right to tell me what light bulb to use? Where does the government get the right to tell me I have to have health insurance? what kind of health insurance? I have read the Constitution numerous times and I can't find the part of it that says that government can force us to do these things. Promoting the general welfare is not about creating welfare, it is not about giving welfare. Promoting trade/commerce between the states and territories is not intended to tell us what to buy, it was intended to promote trade not to hinder it.
View Quote

Just practice civil disobedience. Smuggle in toilets from Canada.
Smuggle in lights and freon from Mexico. If enough people do it, we will win.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Rand Paul said it better than I could:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAn1FWInBi0
View Quote

Go gettum Rand.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes sense, just about all the founders were smugglers, but eventually they had to throw some hot lead around to drive home the point.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

All regulatory agencies should be abolished, killed, obliterated, destroyed, immolated, disassembled, and buried at sea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the Agencies, Bureaus, Departments and Commissions currently in action should be disbanded. There are thousands of them weaving a huge and ever expanding web of crap for us to live with.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#17]
The government has power, not rights.
Americans used to have rights, which in general, were limitations on the government's power.
Realistically, the government's power is now unlimited.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#18]
You got the right to pick up that can.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPMFNI
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

The more power these entities have, the less freedom we have.  This is a nefarious situation because these agencies are at arms length (or further) from the people that they rule through the power of a gun.  I have yet to cast a vote on any administrative candidate for the EPA/IRS/DHS/FDA/USDA/FCC/NSA...etc.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#23]
It's called the 'General Welfare" Clause.  You know.  The one that lets the government tax you and give that money to those that refuse to work.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

it's the same part of the constitution that permits blue laws
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's called the 'General Welfare" Clause.  You know.  The one that lets the government tax you and give that money to those that refuse to work.
View Quote

That's not what the founders meant and you you know it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blue laws are also unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Because people let them
View Quote

The only answer.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#28]
general welfare and interstate commerce is where some of the largest abuses of the constitution lay..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top