Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/29/2013 10:36:42 AM EDT
When it melts down instead of trying to contain the radiation, why not nuke the reactor and allow the radiation to spread over a large area, thus diluting it to safer levels over time?  I have no idea how this stuff works, so sorry about the dumb question.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#1]
When you spill milk on the floor do you pour the rest of the gallon on top of it to spread out the damage?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you spill milk on the floor do you pour the rest of the gallon on top of it to spread out the damage?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you fucking high?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#4]
In this case the solution to pollution is NOT dilution.

There is a basic principal that for many of the isotopes present in reactors there is no "safe" level.  Every level presents a risk of damage to health.  The question is if that risk is measurable and visible in the short term.  

Did all the open air testing of nukes in the 50's and 60's negatively impact the health of people in this country or the world? Chernobyl? Fukishima? It's difficult to measure in the short term but the presumption is that yes it had impacts.  So "diluting" radiation into the world atmosphere may not cause any less damage despite its lower concentration and it may make it worse.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't drink and post.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spilled milk yields zero damage- except to acidic materials (which would not be in/on your floor anyway).
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#9]
yall haven't convinced me. I say we test this theory in Iran.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm no nuclear physicist, but I still know that's retarded.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#11]
put the pipe down
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are you fucking high?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#14]
If you got shot with  9mm would you should yourself with a 45
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#16]

This is one of the few cases where the answer "aliens" would have made more sense.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Spilled milk yields zero damage- except to acidic materials (which would not be in/on your floor anyway).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let that spilled milk start settling into nooks and crannies and then post how your kitchen smells in a couple days.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Just like a chemical spill you can clean up a nuclear meltdown by dumping kitty litter on it. So you see, a nuke would be silly when cleanup is so simple.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Let that spilled milk start settling into nooks and crannies and then post how your kitchen smells in a couple days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...so anyway, spilled milk != reactor meltdown.  I guess I just needed to repeat it a little more clearly for some people.

If someone's going to go to the trouble to create an analogy, put some actual thought into it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

...so anyway, spilled milk != reactor meltdown.  I guess I just needed to repeat it a little more clearly for some people.

If someone's going to go to the trouble to create an analogy, put some actual thought into it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck! That blows my entire plan for a nuclear reactor meltdown. Now what will I do?

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fuck! That blows my entire plan for a nuclear reactor meltdown. Now what will I do?

View Quote

Pour milk on it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you got shot with  9mm would you should yourself with a 45
View Quote

Should?  
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Throw a Glock on it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#24]
This is why I come to GD.

This and to get the news.  Especially breaking news.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

But is still made me laugh
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#26]
GD is assholes.  Anytime someone asks an innocent question hoping for knowledge they are called retarded.  It happened to me asking a question regarding underwater cables.  I don't know a damn thing about the subject so I asked.  OP, and myself, are not nuclear physicists, unlike the rest of GD.  So he asked a question.  Better to ask instead of spouting off incorrect info.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

GD is assholes.  Anytime someone asks an innocent question hoping for knowledge they are called retarded.  It happened to me asking a question regarding underwater cables.  I don't know a damn thing about the subject so I asked.  OP, and myself, are not nuclear physicists, unlike the rest of GD.  So he asked a question.  Better to ask instead of spouting off incorrect info.
View Quote
Thank you

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Pour milk on it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pour milk on it?

That was my plan. I thought spilled milk and nuclear reactor meltdowns were, in essence, the same thing. But GD has shown me the errors of my ways. Now I'm adrift on seas of uncertainty.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Pour milk on it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pour milk on it?
can we boil the milk first?

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spilled milk has more in common with a nuclear meltdown than it has differences.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pour milk on it?

You boil the 1911 and bag the milk.

Everyone knows that only bagged milk can be used on a nuclear meltdown.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:?

View Quote

It's the law.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#33]
would have to nuke the whole thing from space..............it's the only way to be sure............
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#34]
all youre going to do with a gigantic explosion is spread radioactive material to all hell and gone.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
all youre going to do with a gigantic explosion is spread radioactive material to all hell and gone.  

View Quote

Oh, you think so, do you, Doctor?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
When it melts down instead of trying to contain the radiation, why not nuke the reactor and allow the radiation to spread over a large area, thus diluting it to safer levels over time?  I have no idea how this stuff works, so sorry about the dumb question.
View Quote

part of the problem, is over time is thousands of years.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THAT'S the sticking point you have with the suggestion? The duration?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not going to beat this guy over the head.  You guys are far better at internet humiliation.  I'd rather educate the OP.

Check out a Discovery Channel documentary called "The Battle of Chernobyl"
I'm not able to find a free copy.  It's worth buying if you really want to know what happens before, during and after a nuclear plant meltdown.
Too information to give here.  Worth a watch.  Not filtered by the usual Soviet censors.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd say that bags it up nicely

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#40]
I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit bits the only way to sure.
ETA: Ya just knew it was coming sooner or later.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, but it's probably the simplest part of the whole thing.
Toxicity, radiation levels, isotopes that like to hang out in tissue and organs, (still ignoring the idea of nuking it - why not use conventional explosives? )
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm not going to beat this guy over the head.  You guys are far better at internet humiliation.  I'd rather educate the OP.

I'm not able to find a free copy.  It's worth buying if you really want to know what happens before, during and after a nuclear plant meltdown.
Too information to give here.  Worth a watch.  Not filtered by the usual Soviet censors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chernobyl is a bad example of "what could go wrong with a melt down" from nearly every perspective imaginable. The Soviet government was so interested in saving political face that it did nearly everything in it's power to CREATE the catastophe that the world witnessed.

You're right, though, the documentary was fascinating. The actions of the folks responsible for that disaster, from front to back, start to finish and soup to nuts left everybody with an IQ above room temperature shaking their fucking heads.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#43]
don't cry over nuclear meltdown.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Laughing so fucking hard!
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#45]
How much kitty litter would we need to dump on a reactor?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#46]
It's no wonder we can't have any reasonable policies on anything regarding science in this country.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Is there a treadmill involved anywhere in this?

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#48]
fucking double zero'ers
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How much kitty litter would we need to dump on a reactor?
View Quote

All of it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Pour milk on it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pour milk on it?

Waaaait!! Waaaaaait!! I have an idea coming..... Wait for it....

Air drop 1000's of cows INTO the reactor! Fuck,,, it's fucking brilliant!

(Typing that made me feel dirty. Like 13er dirty)

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top