Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2013 10:31:16 AM EDT
OK, what are everyone's thoughts on this?  

Here in AL, we are supposed to get some decent storms Thursday afternoon and evening and all the local news station's Facebook pages and our neighborhood page are buzzing with people requesting "someone" to change the day of trick or treating to tomorrow or Friday evening so their kids don't get wet.  I'm sorry, but I feel that is incredibly stupid.  I remember it rained several times on Halloween when I was younger and I either got wet, took an umbrella or listened to my parents tell me tough luck son, but life is not fair.  I don't have kids yet, or maybe I would feel differently, but is society really so entitled now that people want to move a holiday so that their kids can still go get candy?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Jesus H Jumped up Christ.......It snows up here during Halloween. So I think we should move it to July.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Snow and cold are one thing, but rain and lightning are something else all together. Many cities move 4th of July celebrations to weekends because it's a better choice.  When we know the weather will be rough, why not move trick or treat night?  Kids look forward to this for a long time.  I don't see what the problem is.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Used to live in a town that routinely dictated trick or treating to days they felt like it.  Sorry kids.  I'm handing out candy only on Halloween night.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#4]
How dare they reschedule an arbitrary holiday!

Just roll with it, get your panties in a wad over the 17 trillion debt.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the fuck over it, if the weather is to bad, don't go

Growing up in Alaska, we had to adapt costumes to fit over snow suits
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Snow and cold are one thing, but rain and lightning are something else all together. Many cities move 4th of July celebrations to weekends because it's a better choice.  When we know the weather will be rough, why not move trick or treat night?  Kids look forward to this for a long time.  I don't see what the problem is.
View Quote

I don't know, maybe its a "life is tough and does not revolve around you, even if you are a special little snowflake." lesson.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get the fuck over it, if the weather is to bad, don't go

Growing up in Alaska, we had to adapt costumes to fit over snow suits
View Quote

I have a picture of me in a ninja costume that is about 4 sizes too big just so it would fit over my snow suit.

It snowed every damn halloween when I was a kid.

The last 13 years or so it has been pretty nice each year, looking be a cold one again this year though, first time in awhile.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I don't know, maybe its a "life is tough and does not revolve around you, even if you are a special little snowflake." lesson.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I see you like giant pendulum swings...

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:24:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you on about?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, I live in one of those suburban, self-proclaimed "islands of enlightenment" where some carpetbaggers always try to "reschedule" holidays for whatever reasons.

They always try it most on Halloween..."It's a school night, can't they do it on the next night because it will be Friday?" or whatever.

I'm a traditionalist, and I only hand out treats on Oct 31st (and April 15th to the FSA, but anyhoo...)

Some little bastards always take the advantage to try to do it BOTH nights...nada...ain't happenin'.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What are you on about?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What are you on about?

My point is that it's not that big of a deal to move 'trick or treat' day.  It's a big holiday for kids, and a strong front coming through WILL f-it up.  This doesn't make them a snowflake any more than rescheduling fireworks if weather won't let them happen on the 4th of July.  A school night 'reschedule', well, that's another story.  "Snowflake" away on that one, it's on the parents not the kids...

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Supposed to be stormy here in Houston on Thursday, too.
Looks like there will be lots of wet and/or umbrella laden ghouls and goblins out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My point is that it's not that big of a deal to move 'trick or treat' day.  It's a big holiday for kids, and a strong front coming through WILL f-it up.  This doesn't make them a snowflake any more than rescheduling fireworks if weather won't let them happen on the 4th of July.  A school night 'reschedule', well, that's another story.  "Snowflake" away on that one, it's on the parents not the kids...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you on about?

I guess I don't see the problem in toughing it out. for about the last ten years, the the first kid gets something big (this year it will be a like new in box XBOX360) and all kids get a full size candy bar and a can of pop (this year it will be 3 musketeers and a 20 oz Pepsi). Show up on 10/30 and get nothing, show up on 11/01 and get nothing, offer valid 10/31 ONLY.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top