Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/29/2013 9:28:27 AM EDT
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/29/bitcoin-forgotten-currency-norway-oslo-home

The meteoric rise in bitcoin has meant that within the space of four years, one Norwegian man’s $27 investment turned into a forgotten $886,000 windfall.

Kristoffer Koch invested 150 kroner ($26.60) in 5,000 bitcoins in 2009, after discovering them during the course of writing a thesis on encryption. He promptly forgot about them until widespread media coverage of the anonymous, decentralised, peer-to-peer digital currency in April 2013 jogged his memory.

Bitcoins are stored in encrypted wallets secured with a private key, something Koch had forgotten. After eventually working out what the password could be, Koch got a pleasant surprise:

"It said I had 5,000 bitcoins in there. Measuring that in today's rates it's about NOK5m ($886,000)," Koch told NRK.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Why can't I ever find something I lost only to find out it's worth $$$ now.

Only thing I'm losing lately is my sanity
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Beanie Babies
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Beanie Babies
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beanie Babies

Lol I just returned a garbage bag full of those things in display cases to my ex.

Beanie babies... lol
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Lol I just returned a garbage bag full of those things in display cases to my ex.

Beanie babies... lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beanie Babies

Beanie babies... lol

My SIL bought so many of those...must have spent a fortune.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#5]
That's actually really cool.

I'd fly out to the ATMs that just got installed and cash the fuck out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Beanie babies... lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beanie Babies

Beanie babies... lol

Ty Warner is laughing as well. $2.5 billion net worth. Unfortunately, he just plead guilty to tax evasion, will pay $50+ million in fines and back taxes, and could go to prison.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beanie Babies

Beanie babies... lol

Ha! I wish the Beanie Babies in my basement were worth something
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Id just buy gold bullion. A few places online you can get gold for BTC.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#9]
how would he exchange it tho? wouldn't that raise a red flag w/ the IRS?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Capital gains tax here in the USA on that would be a BITCH.

Quoted:
View Quote

The mob doesn't give a shit how much money you make so long as you give them their cut.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#11]
If I were him, that wallet would be my new biggest secret.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The mob doesn't give a shit how much money you make so long as you give them their cut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No. He's in Norway.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Bitcoins arent anonymous technically. A professor from my alma mater did a paper on cracking the transactions and tracking them if I remember right.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#14]
wtf is a bitcoin?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Seriously.  I will never understand why people go to the press with things like this.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Norway.

If it was in the US, I think the article would read differently and include a photo like this.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Use the money to buy gift cards then mail them to the US
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

wtf is a bitcoin?
View Quote
Read the OP.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#19]
dammit still waiting on my dinar to take off  I bought my dinar in 2009, same time as that guy bought his bitcoin.  if id have invested it in bitcoin instead of dinar id be sitting on more millions than I could possibly ever spend.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like the way gold bullion looks when you stuff into a stripper's g-string.

But, HEY! It's your money!
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why? Cash out that unstable as fuck currency and put it in something tangable, or at least government backed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#22]
thats crazy i had never even heard of them until like a month ago.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#23]
As much as I dislike Business Insider, they have a better article.

Koch exchanged one fifth of his 5,000 bitcoins, generating enough kroner to buy an apartment in Toyen, one of the Norwegian capital’s wealthier areas.
View Quote

edit: It seems Business Insider scraped most of OP's linked article and IB Times.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck that, pay the 25% and enjoy the windfall.

Goddamnit.. I KNEW i should have gotten in on that shit back in the early days. I didn't see it going anywhere though.

FUCK!

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bitcoins arent anonymous technically. A professor from my alma mater did a paper on cracking the transactions and tracking them if I remember right.
View Quote

all transactions are on the ledger. you can see where everything comes and goes. You can see the wallets, just not the name thats tied to it.

I.E. 1Andy2 telle me has got brass for sale and will take BTC. Im like groove I have a few extra. so i get his address (which looks like a string of number and letters). I put that in to my wallet and send him some BTC. in a short time frame he gets his BTC sent form me to him. in the master ledger it shows my address sending to 1Andy2's address and how many BTC. You can do a search for his address and can see all the in and outs for it. BUT a wallet can have multiple address and you are to use a new address for each transaction to be semi secret.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't like the way gold bullion looks when you stuff into a stripper's g-string.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you then take the gold and get spot at a local shop. Duh and or Hello.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#27]
While gathering up some clothes for Good Will the other day, I found $2 in an old pair of jeans.

It wasn't nearly as cool as this.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

all transactions are on the ledger. you can see where everything comes and goes. You can see the wallets, just not the name thats tied to it.

I.E. 1Andy2 telle me has got brass for sale and will take BTC. Im like groove I have a few extra. so i get his address (which looks like a string of number and letters). I put that in to my wallet and send him some BTC. in a short time frame he gets his BTC sent form me to him. in the master ledger it shows my address sending to 1Andy2's address and how many BTC. You can do a search for his address and can see all the in and outs for it. BUT a wallet can have multiple address and you are to use a new address for each transaction to be semi secret.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean to a physical, IRL identity not the name on you BTC wallet. I dont really follow his research so I'm sure I've explained it wrong, but I can find it for you if you like.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Beanie babies... lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beanie Babies

Beanie babies... lol

My Sister in Law gave my daughter and box full of Beanie Babies from the 90's. I went through all of them and checked but they were worth $15 each at most. I was hoping for one of the rare ones worth hundreds or thousands. No such luck.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I mean to a physical, IRL identity not the name on you BTC wallet. I dont really follow his research so I'm sure I've explained it wrong, but I can find it for you if you like.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya Id love to read it..
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

My Sister in Law gave my daughter and box full of Beanie Babies from the 90's. I went through all of them and checked but they were worth $15 each at most. I was hoping for one of the rare ones worth hundreds or thousands. No such luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beanie Babies

Beanie babies... lol

"Worth". You won't even get that for them. There's piles in quarter boxes at yard sales. Most people just give them to their dogs.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Why? Cash out that unstable as fuck currency and put it in something tangable, or at least government backed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I'm not intimately familiar with Norway's tax code, I'm sure the taxes on an $800,000 profit in Norway are... impressive.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ya Id love to read it..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya Id love to read it..

http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~smeiklejohn/files/imc13.pdf

I hadnt actually read it until now, but after just skimming it it looks like they were able to glean quite a bit from what is effectively traffic analysis aided by some known interactions using the transparency of actual transactions as a road map of sorts. I'll probably sit down and actually read it later as it looked fairly interesting.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Holy crap you could buy drugs and hookers every day till the cops catch you then hire hitmen to take them all out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a great idea...

Shit, I'd do it if I knew a little more about it.

I know there are people in person in some cities (san antonio, Austin, DFW etc) who will trade BTC for dollars in person.   Not sure about the security of doing it that way BUYING the BTC in person, but selling... sure.   Physical dollars in my hand is cool.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#38]
It is worth only what people will give you for it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It is worth only what people will give you for it.
View Quote

Yep.   Just like everything else, including dollars.

We need more people accepting BTC for goods and services for clearer market signals about their worth.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Seriously.  I will never understand why people go to the press with things like this.
View Quote

Only the dumb ones.  I'm sure were thousands of other similiar discoveries this year that you won't hear a peep about.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally, I liked it better when you ended your posts with /finger
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Dang.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#43]
And all I ever find is a dollar in a pair of jeans.....
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL /finger

better?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Goddamnit.. I KNEW i should have gotten in on that shit back in the early days. I didn't see it going anywhere though.

FUCK!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCK!

How do you know it's too late?

Serious question.  What's to prevent a Bitcoin from being worth $5000 one day?  There will only ever be 21 million of them tops so there is a built in deflationary bias if the currency continues to gain acceptance.  If Bitcoins ever represented even just a percent or two of global liquidity, a coin could be worth tens of thousands or more.

I don't have any, but it's an interesting question worth thinking about.  The whole thing could blow up too, who knows.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Serious question.  What's to prevent a Bitcoin from being worth $5000 one day?  There will only ever be 21 million of them tops so there is a built in deflationary bias if the currency continues to gain acceptance.  If Bitcoins ever represented even just a percent or two of global liquidity, a coin could be worth tens of thousands or more.

I don't have any, but it's an interesting question worth thinking about.  The whole thing could blow up too, who knows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCK!

keep in mind that a single 'bitcoin' can be split nearly infinitesimally
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCK!

I started mining over the summer.. When I started they were about $90 bucks each now they are up to about $190 each.. my miners net me about 4 bucks a day..
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCK!

That is exactly one of the facts that I have in mind.  That's what allows the deflationary bias.  If it was 21 million with no divisibility, then it's usefulness as a popular currency would be greatly diminished.  As it is today, a single bit coin at $200 per each would not be useful for most transactions.

The value of the 21 million possible units will grow to represent the liquidity needs of the markets that use bitcoins as a currency.  If these markets require $10 Billion equivalent in liquidity then a single bit coin (assuming all are mined) will be worth at least $476 at that time or more if people are hoarding them.

I can envision a world where the liquidity needs of these markets will greatly exceed $10 Billion.  There are currently $1,170 Billion worth of Federal Reserve Notes in circulation if you need some context.

I can also envision a world where this currency fails and becomes worthless.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Good for him...Awesome surprise
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top