Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2013 5:55:29 AM EDT
Oops.  

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/25/tech/innovation/3d-printed-gun-raids/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

Did a quick search, but if this is a dupe, feel free to delete.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:07:46 AM EDT
[#1]
(CNN) -- Sometimes a 3-D printer part is just a 3-D printer part.

Police thought they had seized the UKs first 3-D-printed gun on Thursday when they raided a local model-making shop, arrested its 38-year-old owner, and confiscated a 3-D printer and a number of parts they believed were for a 3-D printed gun.

However, it now appears the parts are likely just replacement components for the 3-D printer itself.

Officers suspected one piece was a 3-D-printed plastic magazine and the other a 3-D-printed trigger. The seizure was part of a larger raid targeting organized crime by the Greater Manchester Police.

"If what we have seized today can, as we suspect, be used to make a genuine firearm then today will be an important milestone in the fight against this next generation of homemade weapons," said detective inspector Chris Mossop in a statement announcing the raid.

Photos of the parts were quickly picked apart online by the 3-D printing community, including GigaOm, and identified as pieces for a 3-D printer. The store owner told the BBC the "magazine" part was actually a "spool holder" for the printer, and that the parts were designed by the printer manufacturer.

In a follow-up statement, the department acknowledged that they could not confirm the parts were from a 3-D printed gun, saying they needed further forensic testing by ballistics experts. They also plan on searching through the shop-owner's computer for any incriminating files that might indicate he planned on printing a 3-D weapon.

In addition to the plastic components, officers found air rifles and an air pistol in the shop, and said they had "intelligence about the possible production of a weapon using this technology."

These particular parts may not be for a gun, but law enforcement officials feel the threat of homemade firearms is very real.

Since the first 3-D printed gun was successfully fired in May, 3-D printing technology has been on police radars. The printers are dropping in prices, costing anywhere between $300 and thousands for a home 3-D printing machine.

Before they were taken down, the blueprint files needed to make a gun were available online for anyone to download.

"What this has also done is open up a wider debate about the emerging threat these next generation of weapons might pose," assistant chief constable Steve Heywood said in a statement.

"The worrying thing is for me is that these printers can be used to make certain components of guns, while others can be legitimately ordered over the Internet without arousing suspicion. When put together, this could allow a person to construct a firearm in their own home."

The 3-D printed gun technology is still in the early stages, but if it irons out the kinks and makes it affordable and easy to produce guns at home, it would create new opportunities for criminals hoping to stay off the radar.

good lawd.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:10:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is a dupe, and I posted in the original thread.  You can search now for threads that I've posted in 24 hours or older if you'd like to find it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:12:06 AM EDT
[#3]
And LAV laughed at my Laserjet repairman skillz.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Uh... so what if he DOES have a CAD file for a gun part on his computer?  

Is it illegal in England to own gun drawings now?   Or are they desperately rummaging through his computer for something lawful?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:19:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It is a dupe, and I posted in the original thread.  You can search now for threads that I've posted in 24 hours or older if you'd like to find it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sheesh...I was beat by 4 frickin days. And my searching sucks.  If only I wasn't a '13er
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Is it against CoC to advocate for things that are illegal in other countries?

I need some advice before I go full retard.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is it against CoC to advocate for things that are illegal in other countries?

I need some advice before I go full retard.
View Quote

Do we usually give a shit about other countries? I thought so. Flame away.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:00:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I have designed a new 3D printer nozzle that will give much better accuracy, resulting in a better finish on 3D printed parts.
Now I need to finish the design on the bed. I hope to sell these in the US and many other countries.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Are they stupid?  I mean it legit question, are they really that stupid?

2 pipes, a nail and a rubber band are all that are necessary to make a "gun".

Ammo would be a little harder but not much...  

If you want to get down to it, an open bolt machine gun is dead easy to make as well.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Confusing gun parts with printer parts is inexcusably incompetent.  Sack the sods.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Confusing gun parts with printer parts is inexcusably incompetent.  Sack the sods.
View Quote

"We forbade them weapons... and they fashioned there own"

I like the "air rifle and pistol" crap as well. The whole thing reads like the "officials" are scared of their own shadows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top