Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2002 1:27:40 AM EDT
[url=www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=%5CPolitics%5Carchive%5C200211%5CPOL20021118a.html]Gun Control Battle Joined on 'Cosmetic' Rifle Ban[/url]
By Jeff Johnson
CNSNews.com Congressional Bureau Chief
November 18, 2002

Capitol Hill (CNSNews.com) - The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, formerly known as Handgun Control, Inc., is already lobbying Members of Congress to extend the so-called "assault weapons ban" set to expire in September 2004.

Adding to the gun control effort, say Second Amendment advocates, is the fact that even though Republicans control the Senate, there's no guarantee lawmakers will not attempt to renew the gun control measure.

"We do not have the luxury of waiting until 2004 to talk about renewing the law," said Michael Barnes, president of the Brady Campaign at a September event promoting anti-gun candidates in the Nov. 5 elections.

"All Americans must start thinking about it now because the decisions that they make at the polls this November will decide the fate of the ban," said Barnes. Calls for further information were not returned.

But Congress will be hearing from more than just the gun control lobby. Gun Owners of America Executive Director Larry Pratt said there is a slight chance the ban could be renewed just prior to the 2004 elections, and the group is preparing for such an eventuality.

Pratt said his organization and other Second Amendment rights groups will definitely be reminding lawmakers of the electoral fate of their former colleagues who voted for the original ban.

"We're going to send them lots of 'love letters' saying things like 'We sure hope you don't want to go through what happened in 1994,'" Pratt said.

But Pratt said fighting the ban would not be a simple or easy matter. "I'm concerned that the Senate would reenact the measure even as it's constituted [under Republican control]," he cautioned. "It is Republican, but it's not a pro-gun majority."

He is more optimistic, however, about the House of Representatives, which also gained Republican seats in the Nov. 5 elections.

"I think we have enough votes [in the House] that we can probably stop it," Pratt explained. "You've got [Representatives] Ron Paul (R-Texas), you've got John Hostettler (R-Ind.) and Virgil Goode (R-Va.). You've got newcomers like Marilyn Musgrave (R-Colo.) and Steve King (R-Iowa)."

"The best of both worlds would be that the Senate votes on it win, lose or draw. We kill it in the House," Pratt concluded, "and then we go and clobber a bunch of senators in the next election."

As CNSNews.compreviously reported, 21 of the 24 Senate candidates endorsed by pro-gun organizations in the 2002 elections were victorious. In the House of Representatives, 230 of the 246 candidates who stated their support for the Second Amendment were elected.

By contrast, only one candidate each in the House and Senate or the eight opposed by the Brady Campaign was defeated.

Link Posted: 11/18/2002 2:03:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Guys I have been sending letters to my Congressman and Senate Bitch(Cuntwell).

It will take more than few letters.

Don't sit back and bitch about it. Write and tell your friends and family to write and have them tell their friends.

Govt'Thug posted sample letters on this! Copy it or write your own, and not just one, but once a month or once a week.

Remind them that they are in office to represent the people and you will remember that at election time in 2004.

And Don't for get to ask them if their Oath of Office means anything to them.

"I will Protect and Defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, both foreign and domestic"

Register to vote, if your not already. Then take others down to register.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 2:06:20 AM EDT
[#2]
two stage, will you pm me the info on who to send info to in wa state?

oz
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 2:07:49 AM EDT
[#3]
oh, and do you have a link to the letter he posted?

oz
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 2:08:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have a link to GovernmentTHugs' letter?  I'll have a hell of a time finding it with no search function.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 2:15:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 2:17:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 2:19:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Govt"Thug posted 11/06/202 ; 18;04;31
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 2:23:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 2:32:35 AM EDT
[#9]
[url]www.senate.gov[/url]

[url]www.house.gov[/url]

Link Posted: 11/18/2002 2:33:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks DoubleFeed and 82ndAbn,

I am not known for typing speed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 2:58:27 AM EDT
[#11]
well, the 2nd Amend. (was) not enough.
the oath of office didn't(doesn't) work either.

how about we concentrate our efforts on joining all firearms owners together.  Telling the public/politicians that, that's it.  we'll not take this bs crap anymore.  Go ahead, make all the bans you want, we're fighting back this time, and we're not talking about a shouting match either.  The 2nd was put there for a reason, and this is the time to envoke it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 3:42:30 AM EDT
[#12]
what if the ban does not expire when it is suppose to? what do we do then?

i mean because the constitution means nothing to the jerks in DC these days.

just think, for those of us that "roll our own"
we may very well be the saving grace of the free man in this country!

sic semper tyrannis!
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 6:31:14 AM EDT
[#13]
And don't forget to add the NRA and state/local groups to that list.  They better be out front condemning the ban and lobbying against it big time or it will happen.

With the mobilization to ban hunting and 'high-powered rifles', I would hope the hunters have finally realized that they are next.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#14]
[url]http://www.nealknox.com/alerts/msg00122.html[/url]
Neal Knox has been caustiously optimistic regarding the number of pro-gun Fed. legislators elected.
"four of the five Senate candidates on Handgun Control Inc.'s "Dangerous Dozen" won, as did two of the three House candidates on their list." I guess only time will tell. I'm sure everybody has seen Republican pro-gun candidates at the beginning of the election turn anti-gun after. Witness former Calif.-gov Geo. Deukmejian. We shall see, but now is the time to keep-up the pressure on those those guys.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#15]
FYI : [url]www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master[/url]Allege 1993 feinstein/hci master plan
PRETEXT for TOTAL Gun Freedom Confiscation Dis-Armament.

[size=1]10 Banning all military style firearms
    The Pending National ban on all Assault Weapons,[b] based on a point
    system can be expanded to eventually cover any firearm with a
    remotely military appearance.[/b]  We feel that this aggressive
    appearance appeals to the type of dangerous individuals who are a
    definite threat to public safety.[/size=1]

On Schedule
^
[size=1]^
[url]www.Cures-not-wars.org/[/url] Truth Will Liberate Earth.
[url]www.RKBA.org/antis/hci-master[/url]Allege 1993 feinstein/hci master plan
PRETEXT for TOTAL Gun Freedom Confiscation Dis-Armament.
[url]http://www.DigitalAngel.net/[/url]Revelation 13:18  ID-GPS-MONEY Human Implant Micro-chip

Never Again, Never Forget
Seek the Truth , Liberate Your Mind
We Are At WAR
[/size=1]
FIXED BAYONETS

VX
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top