Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 7:03:06 PM EDT

As you sisters and brothers can see from my post count, I'm a man of few words. But I've been a member for a long time. Some people would call me a lurker. I come here every day for news, technical information, entertainment and sometimes to buy and sell stuff.

Today, a member, an Army Veteran, sent out a very heartfelt, sincere cry for help, not just for himself, but also for his family. He is lying in a hospital bed in pain, not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. He was concerned about his son, and his inability to be with him at this time in his life when an 8 year old gets the opportunity to learn to shoot and hunt and learn the things that ARFCOM fights for every day.  Besides that, he has concerns about not being able to meet monetary obligations. He was hurting, lonely, tired and worried.

I have to say that I have never been more proud of each and every one of you, who within a few short hours of hearing this warriors pleas took the time out of your work day, not just to answer him back in posts with words of encouragement and prayers, but you guys went to see him! You started a support fund, spoke to and showed support and concern for his wife, set up hunting trips, armed his kid, taking care of his sons Christmas, taking over his mortgage for a while, paid for ARFCOM memberships and Lord knows what else will come up!

THIS is what ARFCOM is all about! Like some of you said, putting away the swinging purses to help a fellow man. I know and respect our staff for having rules about fundraising and the like, but damn, we need to put our hard heads together and find a way to help those within our community and their families when they are at the point where "hope is lost."  ESPECIALLY our soldiers and vets.

I know rules are there for a reason, and there are other places online that people can find resources for help but, especially after today, we are a family. You will have a hard time finding this kind of a dynamic elsewhere. Nobody wants to break the rules, (well, most people, this is GD!) but I find no fault in being linked to a donation site to help one of our own, especially when the need has been verified face to face "boots on the ground" by fellow ARFCOM brothers or sisters. I, and I'm sure others here, offer any way I can help to make this happen.

I again thank you for creating this community so long ago and this community, no, family for being a fantastic QRF for Jeff.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#1]
He's got a 100 bucks from my next paycheck and the one after that. I don't have much to give but I already talked to him on the phone and he needs our help. If we aren't there for him no one will be so let's get this thing rolling. I get paid on Friday.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in awe, honestly.

This is an amazing place.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I often get pissed off at the stupid shit that gets posted here and have often questioned if my internet time could be better spent elsewhere....then something like this happens and you see EVERYONE fall in, all hands on deck, to help any way they can- from a message to a call to a visit and on to a helping hand...hell, even a possible marrow donor.

This place it amazing when the chips are down. I'm proud to be a member.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#5]
All the guys and girls here really showed their true colors.  

I am really proud.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#6]
You may fight and bicker with family, but at the end of the day, you're still family.

Family comes first, and Arf is really a family.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Are there any veteran or military boards that people are on? If they could shares Jeff's brave story, it would be great. Lets make his story viral.

I've seen HUGE amounts of money raised online for people (old lady bus driver,) and Jeff deserves the help more than anyone. He made a post today, because he was lost, because he needed help, and by god, we should help him in any way(s) we can.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are there any veteran or military boards that people are on? If they could shares Jeff's brave story, it would be great. Lets make his story viral.

I've seen HUGE amounts of money raised online for people (old lady bus driver,) and Jeff deserves the help more than anyone. He made a post today, because he was lost, because he needed help, and by god, we should help him in any way(s) we can.
View Quote
Good call. People have been posting it to FB. But I'll check the law enforcement boards on my end. I'm also putting my kids on it, they are better at the tweeting crap than I am.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good call. People have been posting it to FB. But I'll check the law enforcement boards on my end. I'm also putting my kids on it, they are better at the tweeting crap than I am.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post a good write up of his story to reddit
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#10]
While I doubt site staff wishes to take on a project such as this, this site should really start a charity. With all the good causes and fundraising that has been done for members of this site, it sure would be nice to be able to keep everything site affiliated (ala ChiveCharities, good example) instead of having to go to crowd funding sites.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
While I doubt site staff wishes to take on a project such as this, this site should really start a charity. With all the good causes and fundraising that has been done for members of this site, it sure would be nice to be able to keep everything site affiliated (ala ChiveCharities, good example) instead of having to go to crowd funding sites.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've been receiving at least one request a week for fund raisers. the last 2 I approved have been getting very little response. I put them on hold until the new year as the members seem to be getting overwhelmed. -Striker

please read the thread. - Mach

I did and I've received requests from people in terrible situations. Unfortunately the generosity of arfcommers can only go so far and when the response to fund raisers is almost non existent then that tells me people have given all they can and need a break.
I wish we could help everyone but we can't. -Striker

That's the party line right there. It's okay we've taken it upon ourselves to help Jeff out.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That's the party line right there. It's okay we've taken it upon ourselves to help Jeff out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

--snip--

I missed that one somewhere. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I would if I could, and I'd use my own site to do it, were I allowed to, while linking it to arfcom.

But I'm not. They are REALLY strict about fundraising rules. And in this case, they've decided "we've had enough, this year".

It upsets me (a lot), but I'm not willing to sacrifice my account for the cause.

What bothers me, is that for all the talk of there being too many sanctioned fundraisers, and money being spread too thin, I'm personally convinced that this one would earn a shit ton of money for a guy who really needs it.

Bet me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Not sure if this is any good, i dont use reddit. Maybe include the picture of him with the fellow arfcomers.

Death Has Come Too Soon: The Words of a Dying Man

Today a man named Jeff, a 9 year military veteran, a husband, and a father came to the realization that he was dying. Not of old age, as one would hope, but of Stage IV Lymphoma cancer. To be more specific, he was diagnosed with a rare form of Burkitt’s Syndrome, a triple hit Burkitt’s. Meaning there are 3 bad chromosomes that need to be fought.

Jeff is only 45 years old, and as of yet, all treatments have failed. Today was the day that Jeff came to the realization that his days may be limited. He cried out of help, not knowing what else to do. He has aspired to teach his 8 year old son so much, but is scared that he will never get the chance to mold his young boy into a man; he is scared for the first time in his life.

Jeff came to a large forum today, not looking for money donations, or financial help, but looking for a shoulder to cry on. He had given his wife and son the day off from the hospital, and was hurting so much, physically, mentally, and emotionally, that he asked strangers for help. He asked for anyone to visit him, to talk to him, and to befriend him. He told stories of happier times gone by; he made people both laugh and cry.
As man who truly believes he is dying, all Jeff can worry about is his family. Here is a quote from Jeff’s Original Post:

"My back is killing me, I'm tired, exhausted, I can't eat without throwing it back up and I have not pooped in three days because the tumor is wrapped around my intestines.

I'm only 45 years old and not ready to die. But here I lay wondering wtf happened and how did this happened. For the first time in my life I'm actually afraid.
9 years in the Army I served. I'm proud of that. I went to college and got a degree.........I have a beautiful family........I guess I've had a good life,
I've shot more deer than most people have seen over the years.......hell I have killed lots of animals for food over the years. Shit loads of doves.......
I can't even think about the number of bullets I've fired over the years. It would be funny to see that mountain of brass. We would all smile and be proud and say "damn Jeff, you even have a trigger finger left?" The mountain of brass would shade my two story house. I can be proud of that.

I have an 8 year old son I have not taught much too. I've been pretty sick all year. He has a chipmunk rifle ready to go......Dad just needs to get better......and there are days I can barely get off the couch I'm so sick.
Will somebody teach him when I'm gone? I sure hope so.....he's a good kid and if he's got some of his Dad in him he's gonna be a damn good shot.
Yes....these are the words of a truly dying man. I don't think I'll have any regrets.........I've always wanted to work on a project car.....you know......rebuild an old classic. 65 mustang or 72 Chevy pickup...If I get better that's what I want to do.

Chances are small and slim though and I think I finally realized that tonight. The nurses act different around me. They look sad.......they must have read my chart and seen my prognosis. It's in their eyes and faces. They won't look me in the eye......and I've been coming here for months for treatment.
Things feel different......they know. They just are not saying.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I'm scared..........I do know that. I guess if I had a shoulder to cry on right now, I would."

With all that this man is going through, he is still in high spirits, and still giving helpful words to others in need. A man responded saying that he felt guilty for crying about his recent divorce, know knowing how much worse off it could be. Jeff responded with saying:

“I went through one of those ten years ago. Let me tell you what.........My wife now is 10x's hotter and smarter and more beautiful than that last girl will ever be, Sometimes you got a take a step backwards to go forwards. You will find love again and be happy happy happy. Keep your good health and go find another woman..... There are a ton of single smart women out there that just want a healthy loving man. You will be fine.”

Here is a man facing his own mortality, staring death in the face. Yet, he is still able to maintain a positive attitude and offer words of encouragement to those in need.

He mentioned being worried about not being able to finish paying off his mortgage, with 8 years remaining. Let’s raise some money for this man and make his dream of paying off his house come true, all while maintaining the faith that he will recover.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I would if I could, and I'd use my own site to do it, were I allowed to, while linking it to arfcom.

View Quote

But I'm not. They are REALLY strict about fundraising rules. And in this case, they've decided "we've had enough, this year".

It upsets me (a lot), but I'm not willing to sacrifice my account for the cause.

What bothers me, is that for all the talk of there being too many sanctioned fundraisers, and money being spread too thin, I'm personally convinced that this one would earn a shit ton of money for a guy who really needs it.

Bet me.
I wouldn't take that bet. With this group, people see the need and WANT to help. I lost my little brother to lymphoma just over a year ago. He was 42.  I spent most of 2012 traveling to Dallas to be with him until me and my other little brother brought him home to spend the last 2 weeks he had with the family. Others here have similar stories, thus we are MOTIVATED.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Not sure if this is any good, i dont use reddit. Maybe include the picture of him with the fellow arfcomers.

Today a man named Jeff, a 9 year military veteran, a husband, and a father came to the realization that he was dying. Not of old age, as one would hope, but of Stage IV Lymphoma cancer. To be more specific, he was diagnosed with a rare form of Burkitt’s Syndrome, a triple hit Burkitt’s. Meaning there are 3 bad chromosomes that need to be fought.

Jeff is only 45 years old, and as of yet, all treatments have failed. Today was the day that Jeff came to the realization that his days may be limited. He cried out of help, not knowing what else to do. He has aspired to teach his 8 year old son so much, but is scared that he will never get the chance to mold his young boy into a man; he is scared for the first time in his life.

Jeff came to a large forum today, not looking for money donations, or financial help, but looking for a shoulder to cry on. He had given his wife and son the day off from the hospital, and was hurting so much, physically, mentally, and emotionally, that he asked strangers for help. He asked for anyone to visit him, to talk to him, and to befriend him. He told stories of happier times gone by; he made people both laugh and cry.

As man who truly believes he is dying, all Jeff can worry about is his family. Here is a quote from Jeff’s Original Post:

"My back is killing me, I'm tired, exhausted, I can't eat without throwing it back up and I have not pooped in three days because the tumor is wrapped around my intestines.

I'm only 45 years old and not ready to die. But here I lay wondering wtf happened and how did this happened. For the first time in my life I'm actually afraid.

9 years in the Army I served. I'm proud of that. I went to college and got a degree.........I have a beautiful family........I guess I've had a good life,

I've shot more deer than most people have seen over the years.......hell I have killed lots of animals for food over the years. Shit loads of doves.......

I can't even think about the number of bullets I've fired over the years. It would be funny to see that mountain of brass. We would all smile and be proud and say "damn Jeff, you even have a trigger finger left?" The mountain of brass would shade my two story house. I can be proud of that.

I have an 8 year old son I have not taught much too. I've been pretty sick all year. He has a chipmunk rifle ready to go......Dad just needs to get better......and there are days I can barely get off the couch I'm so sick.

Will somebody teach him when I'm gone? I sure hope so.....he's a good kid and if he's got some of his Dad in him he's gonna be a damn good shot.

Yes....these are the words of a truly dying man. I don't think I'll have any regrets.........I've always wanted to work on a project car.....you know......rebuild an old classic. 65 mustang or 72 Chevy pickup...If I get better that's what I want to do.

Chances are small and slim though and I think I finally realized that tonight. The nurses act different around me. They look sad.......they must have read my chart and seen my prognosis. It's in their eyes and faces. They won't look me in the eye......and I've been coming here for months for treatment.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I'm scared..........I do know that. I guess if I had a shoulder to cry on right now, I would."

With all that this man is going through, he is still in high spirits, and still giving helpful words to others in need. A man responded saying that he felt guilty for crying about his recent divorce, know knowing how much worse off it could be. Jeff responded with saying:

"I went through one of those ten years ago. Let me tell you what.........My wife now is 10x's hotter and smarter and more beautiful than that last girl will ever be, Sometimes you got a take a step backwards to go forwards. You will find love again and be happy happy happy. Keep your good health and go find another woman..... There are a ton of single smart women out there that just want a healthy loving man. You will be fine.”

Here is a man facing his own mortality, staring death in the face. Yet, he is still able to maintain a positive attitude and offer words of encouragement to those in need.

He mentioned being worried about not being able to finish paying off his mortgage, with 8 years remaining. Let’s raise some money for this man and make his dream of paying off his house come true, all while maintaining the faith that he will recover.

View Quote
Great work man! We will find a way to post it.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I made a reddit, I'm going to post it now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#18]
This is truly an amazing place.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Can someone direct me to the link where the donations are being collected?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"I went through one of those ten years ago. Let me tell you what.........My wife now is 10x's hotter and smarter and more beautiful than that last girl will ever be, Sometimes you got a take a step backwards to go forwards. You will find love again and be happy happy happy. Keep your good health and go find another woman..... There are a ton of single smart women out there that just want a healthy loving man. You will be fine.”

Ok, I've created an account on reddit, it's easy, you can copy and paste or link. I'll be happy to post the article and attribute it to you or you can go on and register and post it yourself.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I have no idea how reditt works, i posted it, but cant find it, even with searching.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote

here
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

here

Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:08:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I have no idea how reditt works, i posted it, but cant find it, even with searching.
View Quote
Yea, I'm struggling with it too. Maybe someone will read this and help out. Or, ill get my youngest daughter to take care of it when she gets out of school tomorrow.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#25]
It's a bit over $7k now, but still a long way to go.

Fewer than 200 donations have gotten it this far, so come on Arfcom, help this brother out!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Bet me.
View Quote

I'm out of work, but I'll find a way to raise some cash. Maybe some of the Dillo collectors old want to buy a HiramRanger Life Member Dillo with the proceeds going to Jeff.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Matt just donated $1,000
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Matt just donated $1,000
View Quote
Awesome!

ETA: ohgunnut, I used your article on my Facebook page.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Awesome!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt just donated $1,000
Awesome!  

$8,260 and I've shared it on FB.

Screw the process, right now. He's getting his money no matter what, and don't doubt that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Screw the process, right now. He's getting his money no matter what, and don't doubt that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Matt just donated $1,000
Awesome!  

I posted to Facebook as well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt just donated $1,000
Awesome!  

Some causes are worth the Civil Disobedience.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Matt just donated $1,000
Awesome!  

And I'd bet another donation that some or most staff and mods have donated as well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

And I'd bet another donation that some or most staff and mods have donated as well.
View Quote
I think you're right.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think you're right.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you're right.  

Of course he's right. I'm pretty damn sure Striker wanted nothing o do with delivering that news. George is good people even if he is Danish.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Nothing compares to this place, I'm proud to be a member.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:18:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sure does put pit threads into perspective doesn't it?  
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
here
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

here

In and shared on fb.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:41:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Bump
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:52:42 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ill put money on the chance that this will bump site membership a bit.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:56:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm in awe, honestly.

This is an amazing place.
View Quote

Yep.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:00:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:16:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Ohgunnut,
Update: I sent your article to a few news sites including Drudge, as kind of a press release.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top