Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 6:24:53 PM EDT
I have the opportunity to purchase about ~100lbs of beef from an arfcommer in Northern Oregon, for a little bit of nothing (relatively speaking), from his family farm. This part is a done deal, but neither of us are really keen on shipping.

How would you safely ship ~100lbs of beef from the Pacific Northwest, to Northeast Ohio? How much you figure, and how would you do it?

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Figure Pendleton Oregon, to Chesterland Ohio. Close enough, on both ends.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with dry ice in a styrofoam cooler in a cardboard box, and shipped overnight.

Ain't going to be cheap.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd go with dry ice in a styrofoam cooler in a cardboard box, and shipped overnight.

Ain't going to be cheap.

View Quote

Yup and yup.

Edit: To give you an idea. Here is a company that ships meat. 20 pounds per foam cooler with 4 pounds of ice = $100.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Easiest way would be ship the cow to you, you carve off the 100 lbs you want, sew ol'Betsy up, send her back.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Figure Pendleton Oregon, to Chesterland Ohio. Close enough, on both ends.
View Quote

Is it frozen already?  If frozen you need to pack it with dry ice in an icechest of some sort that is rated for dry ice.
I have shipped things via airline freight and that will get it there quicker than UPS overnight.  Either way it is going to cost you some coin to ship 100lbs quick enough so the meat doesn't spoil.

There are forums that help you find local farmers that can provide for beef to you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Only other (cheaper) option I can think of would be to pay him to turn it into jerky and skip the dry ice, styrofoam cooler, and cram as much as you can in a USPS flat rate box.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Ship it to Portland.  I'll eat it, and provide a detailed report on how it tasted.  I can send it via email, so it will cost you nothing extra.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Only other option I can think of would be to pay him to turn it into jerky and skip the dry ice, styrofoam cooler, and cram as much as you can in a USPS flat rate box.

View Quote
I like you...

You end up with about 1/3 of the start weight. 33.3 pounds is WAY inside of the flat rate max.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ain't going to be cheap.

View Quote

This, but skip the cardboard...

A. The cooler will sweat turning the cardboard to mush...

B. We tend to treat coolers better...

C. If you want to skimp on shipping use 2nd Day (Omaha Steaks does) or Next Day Saver.

- random UPS guy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder if it is that cow I hit with my pick up a few days back?

I think there may be some weight and size limits so it may need to be done in two containers/coolers.

If the beef is frozen and in a cooler that is well taped just a little dry ice would do the job. May not even be needed.

One more thing I think there is a 5lb limit for the amount of dry ice for any air shipping.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ship it to Portland.  I'll eat it, and provide a detailed report on how it tasted.  I can send it via email, so it will cost you nothing extra.
View Quote

I can head down from the Seattle area to help out. I'll bring beer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#13]
i dunno but my pops hand delivered 300 lbs to be last week
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys aren't helping, on the details.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In!

Sub, the best way to do it is mentioned above. Freeze, pack in dry ice and ship over night. It will cost you, but depending on how cheaply you get the beef, it might be worth it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Well it would be freshest if you hired a couple cowboys to drive it there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#17]
We shipped two metal bird sculptures from Portland to Georgia. We had to find a shipping place at PDX to crate them up. I don't recall the total to crate and ship, but it was a lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top