Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 5:45:14 PM EDT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuWqcaNBNiY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LogrMlsCOL4

Yeah, you're jealous.

I'm the guy with the clarinet.  This is part of the final MPT (Musical Performance Team) concert (part of the requirement to pass the AIT)

I'm reclassing to the Army Band. It's definitely the cushiest AIT in the army.  Of course you still have to follow all the standard army rules, customs and courtesies just like any other AIT, and there's still 0515 PT and all that jazz.  7 1/2 weeks down, 2 1/2 weeks to go.

I've been in my state's National Guard band for almost 3 years, but am finally getting MOS qualified.  For four years before that I was a 13F (forward observer for artillery), though my deployment to Iraq had nothing to do with that MOS - I was just a desk jocky there.

I got a 30 out of 36 on the clarinet and a 18 out of 36 on the flute.  I'm going to try for a better score for both on the final AMPA (Army Music Proficiency Assessment).
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]
So to clarify, you didnt blow "Expert"?

Thank you for your service....

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#2]
What season/boat were you a greenhorn on again?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Your flute blowing skills need work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have heard of a clarinet but I am not for sure what it looks like. Sounds like your having fun in AIT. Good luck with your next assignment.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have heard of a clarinet but I am not for sure what it looks like. Sounds like your having fun in AIT. Good luck with your next assignment.
View Quote

The guy with the small black instrument on your right, my left.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So to clarify, you didnt blow "Expert"?

Thank you for your service....

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there a bayonet lug on your clarinet?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#8]
What's a clarinet?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Great job!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's a clarinet?
View Quote

Some new FN rifle i think.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#11]
huh

that's different

break a leg
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#12]
When I was in OSUT there was an E-5 that joined us in the AIT portion.  He was reclassing from band.  There were a lot of "skin flute" jokes made by the Drills.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I played the clarinet (B-flat) for 15 years and suddenly stopped.  I'm not sure why.  I should really pick it up again.  

I did always like Mozart's Clarinet Concerto in A.

Who's your favorite player: Artie Shaw or Benny Goodman?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When I was in OSUT there was an E-5 that joined us in the AIT portion.  He was reclassing from band.  There were a lot of "skin flute" jokes made by the Drills.
View Quote

Oh yeah, that'll happen.  When I was in basic training in 2007 (when I was about to train for artillery), I was the only SPC in the group, so one of the drill sergeants asked what I studied in college.  I said, "Music."  He said, "Oh yeah?  What do you play?"  I responded, "Clarinet and flute."  He said, "I guessed so, 'cause they're the most fairy!"

Right before graduation he almost apologized and admitted that he was a high-school trumpet player.  Then I played the National Anthem on the clarinet for graduation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I see the army band," pershings own" play every once in a while at ft myer. Always interesting to talk to those guys.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I work with a guy in the IANG band, are you as annoying as him?    He's got a degree in music too, both swinging hammers together.

Glad you're enjoying your work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I went to basic with a guy who was going in as a clarinet player, he was 41 and had done the same job 20 years ago, in the soviet navy
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#18]
At least you're not blowing a trombone.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#19]
FWIW, when I graduated OD BOLC the band sent a couple people to play while all the families got seated and such.  They played Katy Perry's Fireworks and the whole class started singing along. One of the E4's had to stop playing because she was laughing so hard watching 30 2LTs sing Katy Perry.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#20]
that's not AIT  that's summer music camp.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Of course, AIT is a lot less cushy for the folks just out of BCT.  It's still quite cushy, but not like it is for us reclass (though it's still strict enough).
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, cool.

What do they teach you at AIT?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, cool.

View Quote

How to play the fucking clarinet and the goddamn flute.  Army fucking style.  In accordance with the motherfucking TM.  If I stomp my foot, that's something you're gonna see again, hint, hint.  Now drop and give me twenty!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How to play the fucking clarinet and the goddamn flute.  Army fucking style.  In accordance with the motherfucking TM.  If I stomp my foot, that's something you're gonna see again, hint, hint.  Now drop and give me twenty!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, cool.

OP, anybody get smoked there and have to play something all out of breath and sweaty and shit?  Or play the clari-flute while doing mule kicks?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#26]
This one time...in Army Band camp...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#27]
lol

Army needs band players I guess. Rock out with your cock out!

Beats the shit out of being a fister, though. Who talked you into that gig? I bet they told you you'd get to roll with infantry, but you'd have a specialized job that would keep you from having to do all the infantry bullshit, right?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, cool.

Actually it's the fucking FM. The TM is for maintaining the flute.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top