Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 5:43:30 PM EDT
Just closed on a house earlier this month east of town (central Okla) sitting on 2.5 acres of heavily treed land. Weather has gotten cool and we are starting to see scorpions ...WTF? Of course all our relatives that are used to country living sort of brush it off but I'd like an effective killing plan for these bastards...My boots are getting nasty from stomping on these suckers (and they don't die easy) ...oh and we have a little pooch too so it has to be dog friendly
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just closed on a house earlier this month east of town (central Okla) sitting on 2.5 acres of heavily treed land. Weather has gotten cool and we are starting to see scorpions ...WTF? Of course all our relatives that are used to country living sort of brush it off but I'd like an effective killing plan for these bastards...My boots are getting nasty from stomping on these suckers (and they don't die easy) ...ooh and we have a little pooch too so it has to be dog friendly
View Quote

apply metal

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I kill Brown Scorpions every year.  I haven't seen the bigger black ones though (thank God).
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Had the same problem, tried everything they sell at lowes and hd and nothing worked.  Finally broke down and called a pest control company, they used an all natural poison that just knocked the shit out of them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Just get an exterminator to spray your house.
Scorpions are no big deal unless you are allergic to them (much like a bee sting).
I've been stung by scorpions with no ill affects.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Had the same problem, tried everything they sell at lowes and hd and nothing worked.  Finally broke down and called a pest control company, they used an all natural poison that just knocked the shit out of them.
View Quote

available to us lowly citizens?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Spray your perimeter, inside and out, with Ortho Home Defense. (Follow their instructions.)

Poison doesn't usually work as well on spiders and scorpions as it does on insects, but you will kill a lot of insects, reducing the food supply for the scorps and making your home less attractive to them.

And don't have a cluttered, messy house. They love hiding in clutter.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Most of the stuff you get for regular bugs won't touch them.  The safest and most effective method we've found are those glue traps.  They tend to follow damp cool air, so place them along door sills and pipes coming up thru your house slab.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Let one sting you a few times to build up an immunity.
Repeat this about 40 times or so.
Have each family member do the same.
Kick me in the nuts Thank me later.

Actually, glue traps and diatomaceas earth works best.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Arizona..... Bark Scorpions are the suck.......
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure, smelled minty and was pet safe ( a requirement for me as well)

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Check.......another thing West Virginia is last on the list for.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Striped bark scorpions and "heavily treed" go hand in hand.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Big nasty AZ scorps....thanks you can keep those
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Spiders generally don't bother me...but the idea of scorpions hanging out in my house or on the farm freaks me out.  I'll stick to western NC.

Nature, you scary.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#16]
They eat bugs.  Kill the bugs and they will leave.  Chickens?  Half dozen laying hens and you will have no scorpions because all the bugs will be gone.

If you want to kill the bugs directly, go with Cyper WP or Demon WP.  These are pyrethroid/permethien insecticides which are low toxicity to most other animals (save fish/amphibians) and at higher concentrations, will kill scorpions.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#17]
this work really well
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#18]
My first house was a little ranch on 2.5 acres in Newalla, OK.  

I'd never seen so many of those nasty bastards.

I had an exterminator come out and spray around the house and into the eves.  They were everywhere.  That took care of it, though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#19]
CyperWP

Or

Chickens.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I got a flock of guinea hens  they love them and every other bug they can find. of coarse they bring in ring tails, coyotes, and bobcats etc.  so you will need a large selection of ARs to handle that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Yea, scorpions scare the heck out of me. Especially when they are no bigger than a dime and translucent. Little fer's hurt! Keep the place clean and dry. They will hide in clutter or clothes on the floor. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey Dillon.... over here.

I've heard that guinea fowl will eat scorpions, they will definitely keep the bugs down.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey Dillon.... over here.

I've heard that guinea fowl will eat scorpions, they will definitely keep the bugs down.
View Quote

Given the choice between guinea fowl   (incredibly loud, feathered shit factories) or scorpions,  Bring on the scorpions.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#24]
All you need is Demon WP or Suspend SC.... Blows anything away that you can get at a big box store.  Amazon is your friend.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:27:14 AM EDT
[#25]
OK..ordered the Demon...probably will pick up something from lowe's or home depot as well until the Demon gets here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top