Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/28/2013 4:17:41 PM EDT
At work today, one of the guys was commenting on how he, and most everyone he knows feel that time has sped up.  The days, weeks, months and the last couple of years seem to be going by much faster.  Everyone except me at work concurred with this sentiment.  While discussing the possible differences between me and most everyone else around, it was noted that I am the only one who does not have nor uses a cell phone.  

A couple of the guys also mentioned that when they were on vacation, or were in places where cell phone reception was not available for at least a few days, their perception of time slowed.  

Now the question is, for those who do not have, or use a cell phone regularly, has your perception of time sped up or not?  And, those who do use a cell phone regularly, do you think time is going by faster or not?

Poll will be forthcoming.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#1]
My perception of time hasn't changed since 2007, though in fairness that was only a few months ago.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#2]
That happens when you get old.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Kind of. I'm constantly thinking I did something last summer but it was really 2 summers back.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

First Second post nails it.

I read an interesting article a few months ago that attempted to explain why.  Essentially, your brain fills in the details from similar experiences in the past.  

It's also why the summer sun doesn't seem as warm, the flowers don't seem as bright, and getting a blowjob doesn't feel as good.    

Getting old sucks.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Time has done two things in my experience:

The older I get, the faster the years go by, and the distant past never seems to get more distant.  It's just there; all the times that were and can never be again, all in one big blob.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting theory....though I would say time for me does pass by faster as a year is continuously a smaller percentage of my life.

When you're 5, one year is 20% of your life...at 30 its 3%.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I asked my best friend why the days, weeks and months seem to be going by so quickly for me. He told me I was over the hill and picking up speed on the downside...
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quick . . . everyone smash their cell phones !!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Days seem much shorter these days.  I can spend a whole day in the woods hunting and it's over before I know it (even faster if I play on the phone).    A day like that would last an eternity when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Heard that perception explained like this once.

When you're 5 years old each year passing is 1/5th of your life so it seems like it takes forever.

When you're 50 years old each year is only 1/50th of your lifetime so it feels like it passes faster.

As good an explanation as any.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer to the end, the faster it goes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#14]
In general, I find that when I am "unplugged"  for a significant amount of time my perception of time slows...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, weeks seem to fly by insanely fast.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:45:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Aging + being out of school speeds things up.  I've heard it is worse if you have kids.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

This. OP is probably the youngest.

My daughter had her 19th birthday recently.  I still vividly recall her childhood like yesterday.  Still got the little red wagon we pulled her around in the first couple of Halloweens.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I read an interesting article a few months ago that attempted to explain why. Essentially, your brain fills in the details from similar experiences in the past.

It's also why the summer sun doesn't seem as warm, the flowers don't seem as bright, and getting a blowjob doesn't feel as good.

Getting old sucks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I read an interesting article a few months ago that attempted to explain why. Essentially, your brain fills in the details from similar experiences in the past.

Getting old sucks.

I've read that it also has to do with perception.  When you're 8, every year is a huge part of your life and takes up a large part of it.  So a year seems like forever.  When you're 42, not so much.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't think it was your cell phones fault. If your pace of business is like most you are now doing the job that three people were doing 7 years ago. I equate the years of employment at my company to dog years. I have been there for 21 years so that makes like 147 year right?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I was walking to class and heard the marching band practicing. Then I realized it has been a year and a half since I participated in a marching band.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes and I think it's good and bad. An example of good would be those endless hours spent in waiting rooms be it the doctor, dentist or car dealer. Having a distraction other than the TV playing daytime soaps with poor reception or a five year old copy of National Geographic is a good thing. I don't want that time to pass slowly. Of course now that winter is around the corner time will slow down for me as winter always feels like a full year.

I hate winter.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#22]
perception all the older guys told me it would happen when you have a kid/start getting older,they were right.

or maybe its some giant govt conspiracy related to the Halliburton weather machine
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#23]
All I have to do to "slow it down" is remember that Obama is not even a year into his second term.

Does it not seem like that is taking forever?  It does for me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yeah, I was walking to class and heard the marching band practicing. Then I realized it has been a year and a half since I participated in a marching band.
View Quote

You must have some big brassy fuckers to admit that here.  

ETA:  Might as well post a screen capture of your browser with a tab open saying Shemale Videos.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:55:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In general, I find that when I am "unplugged"  for a significant amount of time my perception of time slows...
View Quote

This is why I've gotten into backpacking.  No cell phone coverage, no electronic distractions.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#26]
The older I get the less there is.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Heard that perception explained like this once.

When you're 5 years old each year passing is 1/5th of your life so it seems like it takes forever.

When you're 50 years old each year is only 1/50th of your lifetime so it feels like it passes faster.

As good an explanation as any.
View Quote

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

When you're five years old, it seems that Santa only comes every twenty years.

When you're twenty years old, it seems that Santa only comes every five years.

When you're fifty years old (and you're the one footing Santa's entire bill), it seems that the old fuck comes every other month.

dp
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#28]
E=mc² x R²   Where R²  = A mess load of your relatives during a family gathering - Time drags ass.

E=mc² x W x 2 - Where W (women) x 2 = Threesome - Time halls ass

You cell phone is not relative to either equation or outcome.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

ETA:  Might as well post a screen capture of your browser with a tab open saying Shemale Videos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a photo of my big brass ones (no homo).

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#30]

The feeling that time is getting faster is a function of age.

I once asked my dad what it was like to get older.

He said, "Every day you wake up and another year has gone by."

He also said the worst part was seeing all your family/friends go before you.  

FYI for us old fuckers...

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I agree OP

Welcome to enlightenment.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#32]

"I'm not into time, man..."
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My daughter had her 19th birthday recently.  I still vividly recall her childhood like yesterday.  Still got the little red wagon we pulled her around in the first couple of Halloweens.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

]

Actually I am older than most.  I am 52.   I do notice that as I get older the percentage of my life relative to a year is different, but a day is still a whole day, an hour is still a whole hour.  When I am busy and engrossed in my task, I do not notice the time and in that regard time does seem to go by quickly.  But overall, time in general does not seem to be flying by as implied by the others.

Now is this just because of the "connectivity" to others or the significantly more communications to others that speeds up the perception of time, or does the technology itself (high frequency RF) that interferes with our brains that changes the perception?  

The individual who made this initial observation today has, in the past, remarked that he wonders if the RF of all the various devices does not have a significant effect on the human brain.   This is where I came up with the possible cell phone connection.  Again, is it due to an actual physical effect of the technology,  is it a psychological effect due to being able to communicate so quickly and easily, or is it not a real phenomenon at all?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#34]
The days seem to be just flying by for me, too.

Einstein's theory of relativity has some interesting points of gravity changing perception of time.

I think it is Hawking that wrote about time moving in waves.

So is it possible we are crossing a  time wave in the universe and it is altering our perception of observable events?

I need to get back to work, the day flew by and I'm all out of time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm 46 and returned to work today after 18 months of military leave.  It went quickly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Welcome to getting older

Each year goes by faster

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Time flies by now and I don't use a cell phone at all.  Maybe one call a month, max.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#38]
My perception of time has really changed since 2010.

It seemed like 2006-2010 took so much longer than it has been from 2010 to 2014.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, it's called becoming a parent.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quick . . . everyone smash their cell phones !!!
View Quote
Alright, done!!  $300 Android smashed to bits.  Now what???

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yeah, it's called becoming a parent.
View Quote

Yeah, it's called retirement...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Cell phones are really alien time dilators.

That must be why life expectancy has risen in the past 20 years...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Time has done two things in my experience:

The older I get, the faster the years go by, and the distant past never seems to get more distant.  It's just there; all the times that were and can never be again, all in one big blob.
View Quote

Truer words have never been spoken. Sometimes I'll hear a song from my youth (especially my HS years) and it still sounds "new" in my head and then I'll realize it's a quarter of a century old.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#44]
It has to me, but I don't really attribute it to my cell phone use as I don't really have my face buried in it.
If anything, my phone use makes time feel so much slower.

Really, my last 2yrs of HS and all of college has just flown by at a mile a minute. I feel like my twenties will be gone before I can really blink, yet from 3-16/17 took an eternity.

I could've sworn this semester of school started last week, but here we are with nary a month left in it.

Some days feel slower than others, usually those where I don't have much face-to-face interaction or just haven't seen some of my best friends in a while.

I've just started to accept that time is fleeting, and it is doing so in no small manner although my time experienced is so small in the grand scheme of things.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Time's just fucking flying by. The only time I use my cell phone is for work, non-work related conversations rarely last more than five minutes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My perception of time hasn't changed since 2007, though in fairness that was only a few months ago.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Getting older your perception of time should change because each moment is less in terms of time it takes up in the ratio of your life.

Similarly the percentage difference between you and everyone older than you is shrinking..
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#48]
This thread is depressing.

Way to go OP. Way to be a Debbie Downer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#49]
There's always time for Jell-O...

As you get older people eat less Jell-O.

Well, less Jell-O = less time.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

And the older you get, the faster time goes by.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top